Playing with the...daily driver. Now with standalone ECU.

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Playing with the...daily driver. Now with standalone ECU.

Post by Innovative Tuning »

Well the time came for the stock ECU to go. I know I could go further with it but I tune cars for a living so it was getting a bit silly and I had to have the total control of a standalone.

So...I wired an Autronic SM4 universal standalone in with some 750cc STi injectors and old NA rails. I'm running 23 psi at the moment on the FP Green with the same meth setup still on 93 octane with no intercooler. I've left the setup the same mechanically so far except for adding an EGT gauge, removing the maf housing since it isn't doing anything, and I stuck a standard 3" cone filter on the stock 90 that comes right before the MAF housing.

I haven't wired up the IAC yet since I can't get to it without pulling the turbo and the car runs fine without it, but when I do I'll get antilag all set up. Launch control and flat shifting are enough fun for now. I'll have to get a video of the fireballs it shoots when I flat shift one of these days.

I figured there would be a bunch of standalone related questions so I made a new thread.

edit: I almost forgot. I'm revving to 7000 so far on the stock EJ22T.

-Mike
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Do you have a dawg bocks?
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Nope. Stock Impreza RS tranny (with matching RS 4.11 LSD rear) with an ACT clutch.

I have a WRX tranny with RA gears in the works and I have a WRX rear end sitting here. That's going in with another ACT clutch with a 6 puck disk.

I have the autronic set up so I barely tap the clutch pedal (using existing cruise control switch) and timing is retarded briefly to allow the clutchless WOT shift. I'm dropping down to 15 psi at the worst during shifts and it immediately goes back to 23 when the shift is complete.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

wow, have you missed a shift with this setup yet? :shock:
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

No, but I did hit the rev limiter just as I flat shifted a few times. I haven't hooked my tach up yet and I didn't expect the car to pull so well up top from everyone bitching about how awful the stock heads are. It just keeps pulling and I didn't realize I was getting up that high when I had the limiter at 6700. Now I have the limiter at 7000 and I'm shifting at 6700-6400 depending on the gear.

The way I have the shift retard set up in combination with the soft rev limiter it made for some huge fireballs. You know it's a big one when it comes around the car so you can see it out the driver's window. :)

I need to change the spark plugs and add a second wastegate spring. Then I'll take it a bit further. I'm only running a 6 pound spring so boost is starting to taper from 23 down to 21 at redline.

-Mike
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Shoot me a PM. We're gonna have to fix up that tranny problem your having. An RA gearset will be a waste in the car.

Plus, with a dogbox, you can shift off the revlimiter. No clutch, no throttle lift, just pull back and hold on.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Death by torque...

I haven't launched on this tranny or shifted hard yet. I've only done some tuning pulls on it and normal street driving. I gave my boost controller an extra turn or two and rolled the throttle on to do a tuning pull. As I hit full boost the trans just wasn't there anymore LOL. No crunching or anything. I can put the shifter right into 2nd and 3rd, but when I let the clutch out there's nothing there so it must have taken all the teeth clean off in an instant. I think most of them are hanging out with 1st gear or are blocking it's selector since I can't get into first. It's a shame because that was the best shifting older tranny I had. I figured it would last the longest until I put a proper built box in. We pulled it off and I'm amazed my clutch had enough clamping force to crush the tranny considering how spanked it is and that it wasn't rated for anywhere near this power level.

That clutch is in the trash and we're putting another legacy SS trans in from one of my others for now with a new clutch and a lightweight flywheel I had around. I'm going to stay out of boost until I get a better tranny in.

Before I did that I'd bumped the rev limiter to 7300 and on prior tuning pulls I've been taking it to 7000.

Mike McGinnis
Innovative Tuning
(716) 873-7360
sales@InnovativeTuning.com
http://www.InnovativeTuning.com