FS: 1991 Legacy Turbo

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
drift7-
In Neutral

FS: 1991 Legacy Turbo

Post by drift7- »

First of all I never knew this forum existed until last night, man it is pretty cool:):) But anyway I am having to sell my baby, this description is the same one I had on the 25rs forum, when I had her up for sale on there:) any questions feel free to e-mail me at

menarf@hotmail.com

1991 Subaru Legacy Turbo, about 250,000 miles, I have owned her a little over a year and put maybe 7,000 miles on her, changed the oil every 1500 with Mobil 1 and a quart of Lucas Heavy duty oil stabilizer fully synthetic.

When I got her the turbo was blown, put a 01 WRX turbo on her and ran about 2,000 miles on full boost, decided I would blow her up doing that so hooked things back up to run the stock boost. about 1,000 miles ago I was at a rallycross in Nashville and the oil inlet blew off, I shut her off and did not drive her till I had to come home (about 60 miles) I made sure she had enough oil and drove her home, oddly enough because the inlet just slid off instead of breaking off or coming completely off ahe still fed oil to the turbo pretty good, cause when I got home she only ended up loosing 2 quarts, I know that is not good but better then losing 5 and driving like that.

So anyway about 500 miles ago she really started smoking from what looked like the exhaust, or somewhere around it. I do not know much about Subaru's so I have no idea what is going on with her, I just want somebody to buy her that is going to take care of her. the Battery has died once before due to me running the system without having the car on, I replaced the battery and now it is dead again due to having sat in my driveway for a month without being started.

The reason I stopped driving her, besides the smoking, was because it was getting really hard to start her, I would always have to get someone to jump me off then eventually she would start. I do not know much about these engines so maybe it is something small, but with this many miles I doubt it, I have looked on ebay many times and they will have a 2.2 liter non turbo or turbo motor on there about once a month for anywhere from 398.00 to 498.00 buy it now.

The first time she would not start I got a jeep to push her off, well the license plate holder went over the bumper put two small scratches in it and broke the back plastic piece that says Subaru in the middle, I originally was going to ask 2000 for her, but I have looked for that piece on junkyard dog, and from all the Junkyards within a hundred miles and none of them have it, so I figure if you can find it a couple hundred dollars should cover buying it, she looks to bare without it and to broken with it as far as the scratches and dents they have all been on there since I bought her, you can see in the picture the left front fender has a dent above the wheel, the drivers back door has a dent in the back of it with surface rust but has never rusted any more, the passengers side has a scratch and dent on the bottom part of the door.

The spoiler was scratched on the top and white, so I took it off and sanded it smooth and painted it with black plastic paint, so it is the same color as the front bumper. All of the shop Manuals are included with her, I think it is 6 or 7 in all, they are in perfect condition, a lot of spare parts will be included, I forgot everything that I had. She has Yokohama ES100's all around with about 60% tread left, the left rear leaks very little, she might be flat if she sat for a couple of months, but I keep air in them. There is probably more I forgot, if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me or if you want any pics. menarf@hotmail.com
Thanks, Michael

How do I add pictures???????????????[/img]
Last edited by drift7- on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drift7-
In Neutral

Post by drift7- »

Oh yea I live in Cookeville, TN 38506 Halfway between Nashville and Knoxville:)
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Paragraph breaks make it a lot more readable. ;)
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
drift7-
In Neutral

Post by drift7- »

Lol sorry, it was smaller font and did not look like as much in the other form:) I will try and fix it:0
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i am assuming it is 5MT and that you are asking about 1800?

how much rust does it have?
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
drift7-
In Neutral

Post by drift7- »

Wow you are pretty good:0 yes it is a 5-speed:0 and Besides rust on the outside of the body from where the chips are I know of none. If someone could tell me how to upload pics I would do that????? also good on the price, $1700
drift7-
In Neutral

Post by drift7- »

Man this sucks the more I look at this site the more I want to keep her and wait and put another engine in :( decisions grrrrrrr...rrrr
Radial GT1
First Gear

Post by Radial GT1 »

go to somewhere like photobucket to host them. Either put the address into the post for the picture directly to have it show up on the forum post, or a link to the site to view all of the pictures.
00 Camry; No wrenchin', just drive. Thank you Japan!

93 Legacy SS 4Eat 96K; All the wrenching I could ask for.

[quote="un-named"]What a man & a woman, and another man with a sheep & a midget want to do is their own business...[/quote]
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

PM me and I'll set you up with some photo hosting and instructions.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

I dont think you understand how rare that car is. Besides the people on this fourm, and a few ignorant (bless them) souls that drive what I call an awesome collector car, very few people know about these. As far as production numbers go, there are only about 45 of these 1991 5 spd turbos around the U.S. if you count on 20 percent not driving anymore. Your car runs and drives, is fairly rare, and maybe needs a motor. You need to think in terms of +$2000. Get some pics up.
Kickin' it old-school.
drift7-
In Neutral

Post by drift7- »

Yea I know how rare she is but I did not know the stock engines were that good, and I had no idea this website was here otherwise I could have easily fixed her. Here is a letter:):)

Subaru of America, Inc. (SOAMail@sun.subaru1.com) +Add contact
To: menarf@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: Product Information (E-mail #697981)

Dear Mr. Hankins:Thank you for your recent e-mail to Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us. There were 58 Legacy Turbo Sedan 5-speed produced for the 1991 model year. I have updated our records and you are now listed as the owner of this vehicle. In addition, there is an open recall on your vehicle. I have printed a copy of the letter that was sent out to Subaru owners and will mail it to you. You can expect to receive this within the next couple of days. If you have any further questions, or should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Best wishes, Gina HolwellSubaru of America, Inc.Customer/Dealer Services Department-----------------------------------------------------------YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL: I would like to know exactally how many manual 1991 AWD turbo Legacy's like mine were imported to the US?Thanks, MichaelFirst name: MichaelLast name: Hankins

That was what I got from Subaru of America:):) Either way I do not know now I want to keep her and fix her up because of this sight:):) I will post some pics later.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

There have been discussions about how many turbos there are, from 50 to 1500 and 15000 total.

Either way you look at it, they're very uncommon.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
drift7-
In Neutral

Post by drift7- »

I need to sell her stop talking me out of it:(:(
drift7-
In Neutral

Post by drift7- »

Going back up to the top:) I do not want to sell this to just anybody, I want someone who will actually take care of her and restore her to perfection:) So if you just want her for parts, forget it:)
TheDaveler
In Neutral

Post by TheDaveler »

Until reading this thread I had no idea how rare my 91 Turbo 5-speed was, nice!
91 SS 5sp ~ 90 Wagon w/air susp ~ 92 Loyale 03 WRX - ap stage 2 ~ 08 Legacy 2.5i
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

That leak over the exaust I'm betting is either your oil return line from your turbo or your rear cam seal. Either one is not incredibly difficult to replace, just takes a little time and effort.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

TheDaveler wrote:Until reading this thread I had no idea how rare my 91 Turbo 5-speed was, nice!
the numbers posted are greatly contested and conisidered a bit innacurate because there are more cars on here tan subaru says they produced in some model years.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
drift7-
In Neutral

Post by drift7- »

Well see I put the line back on, since it popped off, but now it does not leak from one spot entirely, it just kindof leaks randomly. One thing that freaked me out though is when I have been driving her and then I shut her off and let her sit for about 5 minutes I can never accurately read the dipstick, but when she sits for a couple of days I pull it out and it says like 2 quarts too much :shock: :shock: :shock: I was like uhh oook. So I don't know, I will change the oil in her mid next week and see if that does anything:):)
drift7-
In Neutral

Post by drift7- »

Somebody please buy her?????
drift7-
In Neutral

Post by drift7- »

If you want pictures just tell me, I will send them to you, cause I can not post them on here:(
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That dip stick deal is a Subaru quirk. The starting problem is probably a bad battery, possibly with a dying alternator. If you drain a battery, you need to charge it as quick as possible as the longer it sits, the less likely it can be brought back to life since the electrons bond to the plates. This is especially bad on a starting battery (versus deep cycles that are designed to take heavy discharging, but are usually not used in cars). An alternator on its way out can take out even a new battery and, of course, if the alternator is dead you'll be running on the battery alone until you discharge it. I think a charge system test (go somewhere good so the peopple will actually use the test equipment right) and a new battery should fix that.

The smoke could be a few different things, but if it's not consuming markedly more oil or using antifreeze, the antifreeze is clear of oil and air bubbles, and the car's making boost, it's probably just burning off from the leak you fixed.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

I'm not far from you in Nashville, if you've ever driven on the south side near Harding place you've probably -heard- my legacy wagon a mile or two before you've seen it.

No joke.

I'd buy it, but I've got some projects going on with the beast myself. Good luck with the sell, but you'll probably regret it once you get rid of it.

The battery problem is either an electrical drain or a dying alternator. the oil problem is probably the oil that was burned off or a rear cam seal - which is an easy (30-40 minute) fix.
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Here she is:

Legacy Central
drift7-
In Neutral

Post by drift7- »

Now why did both of you have to go and make me want to keep her:(

Thanks DLC for the pics :0

I don't know I will probably end up keeping her as a project and restoring her :0
drift7-
In Neutral

Post by drift7- »

Why can't someone just buy her?
I am keeping the price at 1700 I might go lower depending on if you will actually take care of her or not :0