Any fly fisherman here?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

1990 Legacy L Owner
First Gear

Any fly fisherman here?

Post by 1990 Legacy L Owner »

I just started fly fishing last fall and I can't get it outta my head! The trout season opens on my local rivers on the 28th of April for catch and release. I can't wait!

I'm still using gear for Steelies and Salmon, when I have the money to get the full set up for those guys I'll transfer everything over.

Oregon is one of the only places in the US to have an annual smelt run on the coast, which means stripers, halibut, tuna and who knows what else are gonna be thick feeding on those bait fish. :-D
Chris
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

I am planning on picking it up this summer :)
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

I have flyfished since a kid. Im 27 now, but havent really done it in the past 6 years. I grew up in Alaska, and used to go out fishing almost every weekend (durring the summer). In california there arent many places you can fish that havent been fished dry.

Oregon is a place I'd love to try.

Flyfishing definatly takes some practice and skill, but once you have it mastered fishing will never be the same again. Trout & Steelhead are my personal favorites, but try landing a 40lb salmon with a 7wt flyrod... its something you will never forget.

Not a cheap hobbie either, you'll soon find out ;)

-Brian
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Not much since I've lived in LA. I haven't even been home to Montana for the last two summers. But yeah, we even fly fished in high school gym class a few times.
monty's legacy
First Gear

Post by monty's legacy »

I used to but have gotten away form it, I need to get back into it. Just be careful of what material you use to tie your own flies, or what flies you buy. Some are used with endangered species feathers.
91 Lsi 180k RIP(3-19-06) Sold for $120
93 L 134ish, Bring on the Snow Baby
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

I have been flyfishing since I could hold a rod. I live in Calgary, AB., and for 14 years lived two block away from the Bow river. I still fish the Bow, but I go down stream of town now. Two years ago, I had the pleasure of flyfishing on the Tongariro river in New Zealand. It was absolutley awesome.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
1990 Legacy L Owner
First Gear

Yep, it's super expensive and super addicting. You guys have all fished the dream rivers. Montana, NZ, Canadian rivers packed with Salmon.

Oregon has two famous rivers, the Deschutes and the Metolius. They both have plenty of trophys and they're both dry fly heaven. The Metolius is a spring creek and it's one of the few places in the US you can still catch Bull Trout.

Stripro...I have a series that was made by two Australians. They went all over the world in search of trout, and a few bonefish of course. They went to the Tongariro, caught steelhead and smoked it right there on the shore. If I new how to post it, I would. It's on my pc and I can't figure out how to burn it. If I do figure it out, I'll send it to you.

I'd love to fish the Green River. That river has more fish per mile than most rivers in the US. If you go to flyfish.com, they have a vid section where you can view short(1-5 min) vids of different rivers and trips.

For the people in Oregon, the McKenzie is open year round for catch and release trout. Catch and release is the way to go!

Good luck and tight lines!
Chris
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I started flyfishing back in 1978(?).

But since I moved to Portland in 1986, I dont do it that much because its all warmwater and other crap here. But I have all the stuff still.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
1990 Legacy L Owner
First Gear

Here's a place you can go to catch some very large trout. It's a winery with a large wooded pond. I've never been there, but it looks like fun.

http://www.oregon.com/recreation/oregon_fly_fishing.cfm

If you're willing to drive a ways, the Sandy River in Sandy is a beautiful river full of trout, steelhead and salmon. I'm sure others will post other great spots near you.

Beautiful furniture!

I used to work for a small welding company that had an account with a hotel furnishings company. I built stainless steel lamps, very cool steel tables and all kinds of other stuff. It was a lot of fun and ever since then I've wanted to set my garage up to build my own custom furniture. What a great job that would be!

Well, Good luck!
Chris
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

+ 10 for expensive.

My parents went as far as owning a 21 foot trolling boat. Smoked salmon and trout right off the smoker is quite a treat.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

I've been fly fishing since 1972 or so, and it is just great. I now live in S. GA so most of my fly fishing is on the flats on the Gulf of Mexico, or on the flats of the Indian River in FL. Bass on a fly in local ponds are a real treat using a Dahlberg Diver--Largemouths really fight. On the salt flats a Clouser minnow can't be beat for speckled trout, redfish and pompano, which are a close relative to the permits that all the fly fishing mags write about. I can't imagine landing a permit, since a 3 lb. pompano gives you a whale of a fight.

I still go to the San Juan in NM about every two years with a friend from Santa Fe, and we catch lots of large rainbows and browns on tiny, tiny flies, little nyphs in size 22 or so. Very techincal fishing there--heavy pressure and experienced fish. Fly fishing doesn't have to be expensive if you shop at the right places. Cabelas.com's Bargain Cave usually has good deals on lines, rods and reels and such.

Happy casting.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.