AWIC vs. FMIC?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

livestrong14
Fourth Gear

AWIC vs. FMIC?

Post by livestrong14 »

I just came across an EVO frontmount IC and it looks like it would fit rather well. Would it be better than the Black AWIC? Which is more efficient?

Thanks,

-Devan
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
legacymax
Second Gear

Post by legacymax »

from what i can remember, a key to keeping a AWIC system from getting heat soaked is have a good size reservoir in line of the system. What kind of driving do you do?
-Max
94 legacy Silver Touring Wagon now w/ 5spd, Ground Controls, ej20g, rear VLSD, td05, and edms.
95 impreza Rally car. 3.0 H6
88 Toyota fj62 OME lift.
livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

I will be doing autocross and drag racing.
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid

93 Ford Ranger-DD
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

An AWIC setup is much more complicated, and will probably cost you more money to setup properly.

With that said....if you have an AWIC setup properly and it doesn't get heat soaked....it'd probably be better.

I think for your applications though....a FMIC would probably be better.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
legacymax
Second Gear

Post by legacymax »

Legacy777 wrote: I think for your applications though....a FMIC would probably be better.
I don't know, if he is drag racing and autoXing, he could make on ice bath for his AWIC, and it would be great for these short burst actives. Now, if you were doing a bunch of canyon runs, i would suggest the FMIC.
-max
94 legacy Silver Touring Wagon now w/ 5spd, Ground Controls, ej20g, rear VLSD, td05, and edms.
95 impreza Rally car. 3.0 H6
88 Toyota fj62 OME lift.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

I vote FMIC. The piping is not really elegant, but it works well.

AWIC is complicated, and requires exchanging heat twice instead of once, and seems more susceptable to heat soak than FMIC (albiet not as susceptable as TMIC). Honestly, TMIC is the only one I've ever tried, and it was terrible for all amateur motorsports (drag, autox, rallyx) due to heat soak.
legacymax wrote: I don't know, if he is drag racing and autoXing, he could make on ice bath for his AWIC, and it would be great for these short burst actives. Now, if you were doing a bunch of canyon runs, i would suggest the FMIC.
-max
Vikash did that, and it didn't seem to be very practical. I mean it worked and made his intercooler cold as crap, but he needed a MASSIVE cooler in the back seat (the size of an extra passenger :lol: ), and he had to refill it with ice half a dozen times throughout the day.
Last edited by rallysam on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah....I guess he could do that....but is he going to just run a front radiator, or add a separate piping system to run into the ice bath. Depending on the tubing....you start adding more head to the pump, etc, etc. So it's not just a clear cut thing.

If you wanted to run an ice bath type of setup, yeah that would work, but it would need to be permanently mounted for them to allow it in auto-x. (Hell they make you take out floor mats for auto-x.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

Since I'm new to the turbo market I don't know how common this is. But an old friend of mine put an FMIC on his Civic, removed the NOS system and reworked it into a CO2 sprayer that cools the IC super quick. He claimed it worked welll for drag. I suppose if it was setup right this could be used on a TMIC as well to reduce heat soke...

C02 is pretty cheap as long as you have a local welding shop/hardware/paintball shop around.

Just an idea.
Last edited by turboleg on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Findlay
"You say grease monkey like its a bad thing"
http://www.toolsource.com
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've heard of the C02 type things. They do work....just another option.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

elYk7kYle
In Neutral

Post by elYk7kYle »

kind of a noob to awic and fmic as a mater of fact to but wouldnt there be a way that you could use the freon *spelling?* from the airconditioning pump or whatever to cool the air going into the motor?? i dont know how but there has got to be a way... just a thought... probably not that good but a thought in deed...
Psychoreo
Second Gear

Post by Psychoreo »

i'm sure if you re-route the AC lines and evaporator to the front of the car, put the evaporator inside of a FMIC, ran the piping for a FMIC and turned the AC on full it would do something. Or you could use one of those CO2 things to do the same thing.
stupid electrical work...
turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

You would probably need to find a way to keep the air and evaporator seperate. You'd probably end up getting condensation off of the evaporator. Kind of an ugly way to do water injection. :)
- Findlay
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

elYk7kYle wrote:kind of a noob to awic and fmic as a mater of fact to but wouldnt there be a way that you could use the freon *spelling?* from the airconditioning pump or whatever to cool the air going into the motor?? i dont know how but there has got to be a way... just a thought... probably not that good but a thought in deed...
I believe that Ford had the SVT lightning (supercharged F-150) set up to use the a/c kinda like that.

Haven't had the chance to work on one, though, so I don't know how they have it set up.......
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Using the AC system is not really a productive/efficient way to cool the intake charge because you're using energy from the engine to cool the air....

Most of the time, unless you've bumped the boost up a lot, to gain some extra hp, you're going to lose hp at the lower rpms where you don't need super cold air.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

+1
- Findlay
livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

Bump: I would like some more members opinions that have dealt with both. Doug? Matt? Kelly?
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid

93 Ford Ranger-DD
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

Not to muck up the discussion anymore but..back on the AC to tool intercooler deal. I have seen several electric water pumps I wonder if you could use a drive unit like that to rotate an AC compressor to lessen the load on the engine. You'd probably have to make special arangments for RPM differences and Torque outputs for the electronics but it'd be cool.

I still wouldn't try it just because I think you could spend a lot of money really quick.
- Findlay
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

If you wanted a really complicated setup you could use the AC to cool water in one AWIC type enclosure, then use the cool water in the real AWIC. :lol:

As far as AWIC vs FMIC, the AWIC would probably be better for your applications. As legacymax mentioned, the AWIC is better for short time use periods. It also allows the possibility of sub-ambient intake air temps. If you're doing track races with many laps, the FMIC would be better.
90 L+ wgn