Anyone interested in an RS type RA?

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
shtbxr22
Fourth Gear

Anyone interested in an RS type RA?

Post by shtbxr22 »

I don't know if it will be available, but I am inquiring at japan-partner.com about a legacy RS type RA, and they think they can get one. I'm waiting on pics and info. I'll just put it simply and say I have no cash, so would anyone want "the deal" after I find out more?.......Unless someone wants to buy my car 8)
Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

1998 VW GTi VR6 5MT (SOLD)
1992 SS 4EAT Winestone (minus 2 gears/SOLD)
1994 TW 4EAT Quicksilver (blown up/SOLD)
2007 Legacy SE 5MT Satin White Pearl (Mine now :))
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

The whole car or just the engine
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

that would make the best parts car ever ;)
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
shtbxr22
Fourth Gear

Post by shtbxr22 »

The whole car. Yes indeed it would be great. I should know more details tomorrow.
Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

We can legally import them in Canada, fuck making it into a parts car.

Buy it and drive it.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

True to the import into Canada.
Sadly, if you brought it here, you would have to cut it up, or go through the BS of it not being street legal.

That being said, there are ways around it.

But you SO did not hear me say that.

But that would be SO cool to get.

Ask about it being brought to Vancouver BC.
It is so much easier and cheaper to do that.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

It'd be sweet to have, but yah, you can't ever legally drive it on the roads here in the US
SUBARUEHS Racing
rad rex
First Gear

Post by rad rex »

I'd be interested, LMK via PM
-Rad

Christine has a new owner, apparently he hasn't abused her enough yet

Understeer is when you see the tree you hit in front of the car, oversteer is when you feel it in the back - Walther Röhrl
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Could you register it in Canada then sell it to the US and register it there? I imagine places like Alabama would be nothing, but what about states like CA, MA, and NY? I imagine you'd get called up as an invalid VIN, but maybe not.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Actually, the cars from japan-partners are TECHNICALLY slavage cars.

That said, TECHNICALLY, you can import them complete to the USA. And TECHNICALLY, you can fix them and register them for street use depending on your state. The Legacy should be easy, since there are minimal differences between the JDM and the USDM variants.

The only hurdle, is the VIN. Japanese cars have a different VIN system, so you would have to apply for a VIN, and that can be tricky.

I looked into it for Maryland, and I haven't totally outruled importing a Forester STI or a Twin Turbo GT-B wagon as my next car. It's a lot of hassle.

Plus, shipping is a bitch. Your looking at $3kUSD to get it stateside, PLUS dock fees, taxes, unloading fees, transportation fees to get it to you, and there's a pretty big risk of having the body get all knackered up in the process.

For cheap cars on Japan-Partners (in the $1500 USD range) you are looking at spending around $5000 USD to get it on the road and ready to roll.

Might be worth it for an RSRA, but I dunno. I would love to get a real Forester STi though.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Would they be on a perpetual limp home mode on our shit gas?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Canada has 94.... :D
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

We have that too, but only at Sunoco. Japan has higher than that.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

BAC5.2 wrote: so you would have to apply for a VIN, and that can be tricky.
Or get out mr. bodysaw and mr. welder...and local junkyard Legacy L Wagon! :o

Then you can "apply" your own VIN
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

555BCTurbo wrote:
BAC5.2 wrote: so you would have to apply for a VIN, and that can be tricky.
Or get out mr. bodysaw and mr. welder...and local junkyard Legacy L Wagon! :o

Then you can "apply" your own VIN
lol I love that idea :-D
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

evolutionmovement wrote:We have that too, but only at Sunoco. Japan has higher than that.
How do you figure?

RON is not the same as octane... 98 RON is the same as our 94 octane
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I didn't realize it wasn't converted as I don't think I've seen the different standard used to measure the rating when mentioned in magazines. Shit, journalists don't know what they're doing? My world is crashing down. Ouch.

Why not just swap dash VINs? It's all anyone would check and a car like this wouldn't draw too much suspicion. You can always claim it's a converted mail carrier. The problem with a junker in some states at least, is that the VIN would be tied to a salvage title and you'd have to take the car from the yard. Disposing of it again would be difficult without a lot of spare time chopping the chassis into manageable pieces for a metal scrap yard (at least make a couple bucks off it).
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

If you ever got in an accident in it you could be in a shitload of trouble... and a RHD car in the states probably would get some attention.

Only takes one cop to ask you to pop your hood and suddenly you're in a messy world of insurance fraud
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

But japan uses 110 RON, not 98 RON, right? I remember seeing 110 available at pumps in Japan.

It's entirely possible to legally register one of those cars in the USA. You just have to be willing to take the necessary steps. The JDM Subarus aren't that different from the USDM ones, so it should be easy. I know a guy who imported a JDM Galant VR4 (with the 2.5L TT V6). The DMV issued him a VIN tied to a USDM Galant. What did they say about it? "Is it the same as the US version?" He replied "Yes, mostly" and they hooked him up. Simple as that, totally legal, and no problems. He pays insurance on it and drives on the right side of the car. Everybody won.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Also remember, and this is getting more and more relevant to us...

If a JDM car is 25 years old or more, it's automatically exempt from all red tape and 100% legal in the US.

That's how the guy who runs NICO got that 65 Silvia.

The bottom line is this: You're probably doing something illegal somewhere. If you do get caught, prepare to accept the consequences.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I've never had a cop go through my car and only got searched once after driving over someone's lawn. And that's including the GL with the crosshairs on the hood and the other junk. I've had about 11 speeding tickets, several 'others', and three warnings so I have a lot of experience with those clowns. Though RHD might make them think twice, but I still think the old mail car will work unless you're sweating too much or something when you say it.
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

It might work

Is it worth the risk?

Thats the question you gotta ask yourself.

IDK what the law is like down there, but you can get yourself in a whole shitload of trouble up here for swapping vins
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Splinter wrote:
but you can get yourself in a whole shitload of trouble up here for swapping vins
Same in the US...but no one around here takes the time to give a shit
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
shtbxr22
Fourth Gear

Post by shtbxr22 »

sorry guys....still waiting to find out more. the shipping is indeed about $3k, plus about $800 for the car.

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I talked to someone who was currently driving an R32 skyline, which was a *customers* car. He was able to put dealer plates on it, so he had some sort of umbrella coverage. He said the big deal is the crash protection, as many JDM cars have no bumber beams, side door beams, and so on. It its 20 years old, it doesn't matter. Maybe 25, I dunno.

Living near a port is nice, like Duluth here in MN.

I'd just swap it all anyways. Would it be that tough?
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m