High CO value

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

DJ
In Neutral

High CO value

Post by DJ »

Hi
What a privilege to put the first post on the drivetrain. Good look with the BBS.
:D

Has anyone got any ideas how to lower the co value on a legacy. Yes i know i have posted this elsewhere but i am clutching at straws. My Legacy failed MOT again yeateday with a co reading of 1.7%.
An ideas much apreciated.
Dick
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Can you refresh us on what you've done to attempt to aleviate the problem so far?
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
DJ
In Neutral

Work done!

Post by DJ »

The problem started with a very occasional CEL. This gave a code of 32, lamda sensor, so i changed the sensor for a subaru part. No difference so i made a device to read the voltage from the lamda. OK at tickover but high a 2500+rpm.
Failed emisions test with a high lamda value! So i checked the wiring to the ECU cleaned all connections and the MAF sensor, checked for induction and exaust leaks, fitted a new back box to fix a small leak and had a re test.
Tester got the cat hot (wife took car for test so he thrashed it!) and it failed on high CO (1.7%) but the lamda readings passed (just , .98 pass .97- 1.3).
The car is booked in the subaru main agent for a check on Saturday but they think it is probably the ECU :cry:
Dick
My93 Legacy 2L 4WD estate.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

It might be the ECU because of the barrometric pressure sensor maybe?

I have a used ECU if you'd like to try.
DJ
In Neutral

ECU offer

Post by DJ »

Big thanks for the offer Ciper :D but it is a long way from you to me in England. Fortunatly if i have to go for an ECU and i can't find one to 'borrow' near me i can get a second hand one for £80. Incidentaly what leads you to suspect presure?
Dick
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I remember reading a TSB relating to this type of problem. They have the tech check all other items and this is basically the last step. From what I understood is that the sensor can fail in a way that the car will always run with higher than normal emissions since its expecting a different density of air.
DJ
In Neutral

Post by DJ »

This makes sense. Where is the pressure sensor situated? Is it in the ECU itself?
Dick.