90 legacy sedan, meter fuse

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

nephite_guy
In Neutral

90 legacy sedan, meter fuse

Post by nephite_guy »

i have a 90 legacy sedan, LS, AWD, AT, power everything.
i just got this car a month ago, so the problems are getting annoying, and i need some help. i've drivin the car in town some and it ran good, i was happy. then i drove it down the highway, goin about 60mph the whole time, and then my dash dies and the tranny shifts into first gear. this happened after about 40 miles or so.
so i find that it was the "meter fuse" a 10A. which seems alot for the meter and windows and fan control. so i pop a new one in, head for home, and bam, it happens again. after about another 40 mile trip back home. so i am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and if they got it fixed, and how. please help, if you can.
and or if i could stick a bigger fuse in there.
thanks
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There are some additional items on that fuse.

From the wiring diagram, the following are on that fuse.

The combination meter, auto shoulder belt control unit, height control switch, mode control panel, seat belt timer, p/w relay, check connector, evap thermo switch, blower motor relay, height control unit, sunroof relay, vanity mirror light, & the fresh/recirc actuator

You need to find out which one of those items is pulling more juice then it should.

Here are the wiring diagrams for the 90 legacy. D/L them from me, and take a look through the diagrams and follow those circuits to try and troubleshoot which item is the culprit.
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... agrams.zip
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
huck369
In Neutral

Post by huck369 »

I need this too, but can't get your link to work Josh...
[b]Huck[/b]
03 Impreza RS 5-Speed
89 XT-6 AWD 5-Speed Pearly (EG33 Powered aka FrankenWedge)
99 Forester S 5
94 Impreza Coupe
92 SVX LS-Tour RWD 5-Speed
nephite_guy
In Neutral

Post by nephite_guy »

thanks for the diagrams. that will take a while, ALOT is on that fuse.
but so today i was driving it again, after a check of the oil and water in the new radiator. it "exploded" on me 2 weeks ago. after much work i got the correct one, the "old" style. but so i was driving it around to check the ABS computer, which i have a problem there i think. the "left front solenoid" seems to be bad. and then i did a tranny check also, got the code (i think) "duty solenoid B" is bad.
but while driving around to get the car warm for those checks,
the trip meter rolled over to about 40 miles, and BAM, the fuse blew again. needless to say i wasn't happy. pulled over and put a new one in and drove home. so why 40 miles???? i am sooooo confused.
could it be because either of those 2 problems i described?
i now work at my local subaru dealership, so i'm gonna go talk to some techs me thinks. dang used cars. if anyone can help me, please, i don't wanna give up on this car, but i just might.

oh and huck369, did you get those diagrams yet? i could email them to you if needs be,
huck369
In Neutral

Post by huck369 »

Yep, I got them from Josh.....

That's really weird that it happens right at 40 miles.....

Unhook your Speedo cable and see if it still does it....
[b]Huck[/b]
03 Impreza RS 5-Speed
89 XT-6 AWD 5-Speed Pearly (EG33 Powered aka FrankenWedge)
99 Forester S 5
94 Impreza Coupe
92 SVX LS-Tour RWD 5-Speed
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

nephite_guy
In Neutral

Post by nephite_guy »

ok so i think i figured it out, well, atleast maybe,
i put in the "FWD fuse" and have driven it 80 miles now, and nothin. the dash hasn't died on me.
someone said that the FWD fuse "disables" the duty c solenoid. so i'm thinkin its the duty c solenoid. i did a check, the previous tranny problem check, and it said duty c solenoid was bad. so me thinks its that. grrrrr, so my question today is. is it hard to get at? is it up in the tranny somewhere?
probably with my luck
thanks
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The fuse does not disable the duty c solenoid. It just fully energizes it so you have no line pressure on the rear clutch packs. If you've been fine with the fuse in. Your problem is probably the clutch packs.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT