Which CEL is it...

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Threshld1
Second Gear

Which CEL is it...

Post by Threshld1 »

So i was sitting at a light and the car starts missing and i get a solid CEL. It revs but is still missing. I then go to accelerate and it misses for a second and then the CEL turns off and boosts fine. I pull the codes (it was clear of any stored codes before this) and i get the following

23 - Air flow sensor, has been replaced and voltage is correct according to wideband logger
24 - Air control valve, also has been replaced and shows correct duty cycles under scan tool
31 - Throttle sensor, has been replaced and shows correct voltage under wideband logger
32 - O2, no cats, using wideband controller for narrow band output and AFR's are spot on.

Cleared the codes and they have not come back. Also driving with test mode only flashes the ok constant flash.
Would any one of these cause the others to throw codes? Also any ideas if a bad BPV would cause this?
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Drive the car and see if it comes back....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

I have been and nothing is coming up. It runs like trash under boost though. I show up to full boost but it does not pull at all. And when i let off its running extra rich and can smell gas. Its like the ECU is stuck in limp mode or something, it does this with both connectors together and in normal mode. I went through the reset process with no changes
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Something may be up with your MAF sensor. You could try cleaning it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

Ok, cleaned the MAF and pulled the battery and cleared all codes. Ran fine for the past few weeks. Just last night right after start up and driving maybe 200 ft waiting at a stoplight it started doing the rough idle and CEL on again.
The second i accelerated it went away
This time it was only a #24 code thrown. This is the second IAC i have put on. Do i have another bad one? Ive soaked the valve in cleaner and wiped it down, still seems to stick sometimes. Thoughts?
91 SS AT
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

So a whole lot of views and not many responses, heh.

Anyways i got bored and figured i would do some experimenting. Since im running a WRX BPV i have the old plastic BPV sitting around. The problem is the IAC is letting boosted air back into the intake and it runs like trash. I put the BPV in line with the arrow pointing towards the IAC. Then gave it a vac line off the #2 cyl secondary purge/pressure sensor line. This allows it to flow air from the intake to the manifold for proper idle. Once under boost, even if the IAC isnt closed entirely the BPV will close and prevent boosted air from recirculating. The power response is MUCH better now.
So i dont know what others think but if your having IAC problems this is a good fix if you cant get a new valve in.
91 SS AT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Your IAC valve air source needs to be a non-pressurized source.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

Legacy777 wrote:Your IAC valve air source needs to be a non-pressurized source.
Right, i put the BPV in between the stock line running from the intake resonator box and the IAC. Thus allowing flow from the intake (not pressurized) to the manifold post TB via the IAC under vac, but it will close under boost. Since my IAC isnt closing all the time for whatever reason, and im not looking to pull my manifold/turbo any time soon to replace it, this is my temp fix.
91 SS AT