4eat 50/50 in all gears

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Drakar
First Gear

4eat 50/50 in all gears

Post by Drakar »

ok, so I know the MT's are 50/50 in all 5 gears. And Im fairly certain the 4eat is 50/50 in 1 and 2 and 90/10 in 3 and 4, is there a way to make it switchable to have 50/50 in all 4 gears when you are driving in the snow or mud, and back to normal for anything else?
02 WRX (Mine)
09 FXT (Hers)
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

It is not set what split it is.

The TCU automatically adjusts the bias in proportion to traction, load, and throttle position. It adjusts it in the range from 50/50 to 90/10, but if you are flooring it, it will be at 50/50.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Drakar
First Gear

Post by Drakar »

ok, so if I wanted to change anything I would have to program the TCU (which of course won't happen for me)

Thanks for the answers
02 WRX (Mine)
09 FXT (Hers)
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

There is some company that makes a tranny chip for them I believe...I just can't remember what it was called...

Search would probably get you the answer
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Diff Lock

Post by wtdash »

legacy4ever
Second Gear

Re: 4eat 50/50 in all gears

Post by legacy4ever »

Drakar wrote:is there a way to make it switchable to have 50/50 in all 4 gears when you are driving in the snow or mud, and back to normal for anything else?
I got it in my car, controlling the split with a dial.
Ben
93MY EUDM Legacy EJ22
Kowalski
First Gear

Post by Kowalski »

which wire do i need to splice in our cars? alldata doesnt seem to have anything under duty solenoid c. i spin my fronts all the fucking time in 1st when its wet out, and would love a mod that would stop that happening. id probably just splice a switch in wherever the wire is and lift the hood/climb under if i want it on... would one of the wires connected to the fwd fuse work? i dont think it would
legacy4ever
Second Gear

Post by legacy4ever »

the wire to Duty C solenoid goes to 11 pin in the 16-pin tranny connector. It's the white w/ black wire. I don't have any pic though.

it's not as easy as just to splice in the supply wiring of duty C solenoid. you get the all-time 50/50 split if you cut the supply, but then the TCU will throw you a code and continous driving with such a split is a nightmare for a driveline.

to get an adjustable split you need an electronic module that will send modulated 12 volts signal to the duty C.
Ben
93MY EUDM Legacy EJ22
Kowalski
First Gear

Post by Kowalski »

whats the difference between what happens when you just splice it or if its done the right way? is it sure to mess something up?
legacy4ever
Second Gear

Post by legacy4ever »

I don't know, you can try it out and share your experience.
I did it the right way and it works :-D
Ben
93MY EUDM Legacy EJ22
Kowalski
First Gear

Post by Kowalski »

where would i get this module to do it the correct way
legacy4ever
Second Gear

Post by legacy4ever »

well, an electronic guru made a one for me.
you can try to splice the wire from that solenoid, but then the tranny will throw an error code and cornering in that state on dry pavemant is not a good idea...
Ben
93MY EUDM Legacy EJ22
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

so i'm aware this is an old thread.... buuuut i just did the mod using a rotary switch meant for a min kota trolling motor. it has i think 5 positions but its the only switch i could find with more than 2 so it works for me. i'm using 3 positions first is 12v going to the duty c solenoid so FWD, second is the TCU to duty c so auto 4wd(stock), and third is just grounded to the chassis so locked 4wd.

i liked the idea of having a switch like 4wd trucks that can select 2wd or 4. why i would want only fwd i dont know but this way i can say i did it :D.

so i know having 4wd locked isnt good for the driveline when taking tight corners on dry pavement so i only plan on using it for high speed take offs on snow really and when i drive on unplowed country roads which is more often than i'd like.

first impressions is locked 4wd does give a decent amount more traction in deep snow mostly on take off, there isnt a half second lag from when the front tires start spinning to when the rears fully engage. that was something i could really feel that annoyed me. and when turning the corners and accelerating in low traction conditions the rear end likes to slide out which is fun...

all in all cost was about 5$ took about half an hour but could take less. and it was really worth it. i love all the cheap little mods that can be done with this car.

but how bad is it to have the FWD engaged constantly? will it damage the duty c solenoid if its constantly getting 12v? in the summer i plan on doing a test of highway and city driving in fwd and then auto 4wd just to see if there is any difference in fuel efficiency. but i dont want to fry the duty c while i'm at it.

so yeah go out and do this mod!

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Well I monitored the voltage. Normal driving is around 5-7v. So I don't think it was really meant to work at 12v all the time. The voltage drop is pretty instantaneous, meaning, as soon you jump on the pedal quick it's at 0.1-0.5v, and even times before I could tell it is slipping, it drops the voltage to under 1v. It is a very responsive system, but if the solenoid is worn out, or there are other clutch issues, or issues with the valvetrain building pressure you can notice a delay.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

well the delay is very small it feels like maybe the front wheels do about a half turn of slipping and then the rears kick in and jolt me forward i dont doubt that the clutches and or the solenoid may be worn considering their age but the awd works great.
i still like the option of locking it manually for the deeeep snow days.

i'll try and go monitor the voltage thing to see how fast it drops, maybe the tcu is taking its time more than it should...

so i guess it might not be a great idea to try the fwd thing. wtvr i'll try it in the summer and if the solenoid lets go i'll have a few months to change it before winter.

thanks
-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

If the solenoid dies, the problem is you will be stuck in locked 4x4. Real bitch to turn and kills hte whole car. You won't notice a difference though in FWD mode fuel economy wise.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)