Any negative effects from a light pulley set on 91 turbo

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

macipusy
Third Gear

Any negative effects from a light pulley set on 91 turbo

Post by macipusy »

I was thinking of swapping a lightweight pulley set from my 98 into my new 91 turbo sedan.

Would this be a bad move for a turbo car. Right now the SS likes to buck when coasting in gear...if I remember correctly the pulleys helped this bucking crap on my 98.....please give my your opinions and experiences
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
siouxbe
First Gear
Location: Lat. 40.02 North/ Long 105.25 West/ Elev. 5356 ft. People's Rep. of Boulder

Post by siouxbe »

I have switched from the under-driven lt. wt. crank pulley
to the Cobb lt. wt. crank pulley and found that the lights
don't dim and the a/c blows colder than before. In addition,
I've gota lt. wt. Exedy flywheel too. No adverse affects and
many miles with this combination on my Leggy with over
250,000 miles!
1991 Subaru Legacy BJ 2.2L/2.5LSTi Block Hybrid N/A w/ over 250,000 miles! 1992 Yamaha Seca II 2004 Dyna Super Glide My other car is a Go Kart Redhair...Black Leather...My favourite colour schemes. If it's not Scottish...it's Crap!
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

It's said that it's best to either run a light weight pulley OR a LW flywheel but not both together. I had an ACT StreetLite FW and a Go Fast Bits UD LW pulley on my '92 for a bit. I took the pulley off and went back to OEM and it seemed to make the car run better.

I never ran just the pulley but I sold it to a local guy that put it on his late 90's N/A Legacy wagon and he loved it.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

The only negative effects will be less charging at lower engine speeds and the AC won't cool as well as the compressor is turning slower.

If you have a marginal charging system to start with then it will be even worse with the switch.

I have the Unorthodox Racing on mine with no ill affects. I have noticed that the AC doesn't workquite as well, but I rarely us it and I haven't noticed any charging problems.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

just get a perrin lt. wt. crank pulley.
i noticed a difference with it when i put it on my car. way better throttle response.
and it's not underdriven so all my accessories still work great.

underdriven pullies don't add THAT much extra power. so just go with a light weight one that's not underdriven and keep all your accessories running at full speed.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

If you want more HP you need to go with an underdriven pulley. Throttle response will be better with both types, but you will get more horsepower with the underdriven pulley as it takes horsepower that was used to drive the accessories and puts it to use moving the car down the road.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

ah i see what you're saying.
either way...a light weight crank pulley is said to be equivelant to removing ~100lbs. from your car.

so yeah. go light weight. and underdriven if you want more HP i guess lol.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

I think it would be better to have just a LW crank pulley. This means that the crank is easier for the engine to turn. An underdriven one makes the alternator, power steering, and A/C turn slower - which isn't good for their operation.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Actually it is better for the accessories as it turns them slower which wears them out less. An engine or accessory will wear out quicker the faster the rpm it runs. Thats why race engines have to be rebuilt much more often than a street car engine. Much more time spent at high rpms. An underdriven pulley works those accessories less because they are turning a slower rpm. Thats what makes the horsepower.

I would really like to see a dyno comparison backing up those claims of more horsepower from a lighter pulley. All I can see them doing is allowing the engine to rev quicker because it is accelerating less mass. I can see a slight gain might be possible, but I think it would be negligeble.

Jeff
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

i dunno. i think it would cause more wear and tear on your car too.

because that means that your powersteering and alternator aren't being charged as well. which means less power for steering and just less power lol. but i'm not an expert. just what i think would happen...
-Aaron

Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

I know that a loss of 3 lb of rotating mass equates to an increase of 1 hp.
Kickin' it old-school.