Reusing head bolts?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ChrisRT
In Neutral

Reusing head bolts?

Post by ChrisRT »

I have some 9x turbo Legacy head bolts I want to throw into my EJ205 block with EJ22T heads.

First off, will these bolts even work in the WRX block, if so can I re-use them? If not, can I stagger new and old bolts as in new-old-new?
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

That is one of the most retarded questions I have ever heard because you would never use two different bolt types. Now go get some 205 headbolts from subarugenuineparts.com.
Last edited by Arctic Assassian on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kickin' it old-school.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

for someone who posts wrong answers to people's questions as much as right ones arctic, seems to me you've got no room to be calling anyone retarded.

It is ok to reuse head bolts but most would recomend doing it only once or twice. I don't think I personally would ever stagger old and new head bolts due to the possibility of uneven tension on the bolts. at least with all old ones it would be more consistent between all the bolts. all new ones would be great though.
for your combination Chris, AFAIK there is a difference in head bolt length between 22t's and 205's but it has more to do with the height of the heads. the only way you'd run into a problem is if the block threads weren't long enough or something and your bolts bottomed out since the bolts will have the same amount of embedment in the block as they would with the stock ej22t setup. hopefully someone who knows about 205 blocks will chime in.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
ChrisRT
In Neutral

Post by ChrisRT »

Ok, I see now. I know you guys get iritaded and I did search and have seen the answers but I just wanted to know if they are different lengths and if so, would it affect it too much. I will indeed get new head bolts.

Good day.