Smashed rear driver's door glass

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Smashed rear driver's door glass

Post by Legacy777 »

Things just weren't in my favor today I guess. I decided to drive the Legacy to work today, first time I've driven it to this job....ever. I park in the back of the parking garage to avoid door dings, and I come out after lunch to find my rear driver's door window had been broken.

Nothing in the car appeared to be taken or moved. The alarm went off, which I believe scared whoever away. There's some questionable apt's behind where I work....and people cut through there....

The nice thing is the tint held the glass together, which should make things easier to clean up. Anybody replace a rear window? It looks like there's two bolts holding the window onto the regulator assembly.

I've looked in the parts catalog, and I need a rear window from a sedan (book says sedan & wagon are different) from the following MY's 90-92, with a production date July 91 or earlier. I need the "blue" tint......not the bronze.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's pics
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... earwindow/

People just really disgust me at times. I've put so much time into this car and it does have sentimental value.....it just makes me sick. You can't have anything nice any more. People just don't give a flying fuck about anyone. At the rate things are progressing in this world....we as a human race don't deserve to live.

I was talking with my GF about the legacy.....we drove it on saturday since her outback was being detailed because the ass-hat construction guys next door splattered concrete on it.....and how I don't drive it....but I do enjoy driving it...and that I should drive it more......and that's what I was doing today. This is what happens. I have been so paranoid about this car, where I park it, just everything, because of shit like this.....and the one moment I just want to drive it like any other normal car and not worry....this happens. Like I said, it just disgusts me. I feel like I can't have anything nice, or care about anything because someone else is going to fuck it up.

Anyway....sorry to rant......
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I agree 100%. I truly feel there are two species of 'human' that can unfortunately interbreed. It has nothing to do with race, but everything to do with intelligence and decency. I like to think I come from the line that evolved elephants, while the shit-slinging monkeys begat the majority of the other beings that superficially resemble me.

I checked my garage to see if I saved the glass from the turbo I broke up, but I guess not, sorry.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

It shouldnt be too difficult to replace if you have the time. I ended up paying a company to replace my windows that got smashed. I still find pieces of glass in the car. Sorry to hear about it man, I know how much care you put into that car.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Ah damn it. One of the nicest Legacy's got hit. I've never understood what the problem with people is, I mean... geeze. There should be laws in place that allow a man to shoot someone in the leg for messing with their car.

Lucky break though that the tint held the glass together. I'd never thought about that. I wouldn't think it takes too much to replace. I've pulled the window drive motors and it all seems pretty simple inside. Albeit everything is pretty cramped and my big long fingers didn't appreciate monkeying around in there too much.

Again though, my condolences. You've put a lot into that car to make it as clean as it is and you should be able to drive and enjoy it without worry about people fucking with your happiness.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

No help w/ the window, but...

At the rate things are progressing in this world, we as a human race don't stand a chance.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Sorry to hear about that. I know what you mean about feeling like you can't have anything nice. Having nice things attracts a bad element, who seem to want to ruin everyone else's stuff.

It makes me want to build stuff like the Blaster.
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11 ... rower.car/
90 L+ wgn
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks guys.

The flame thrower idea is pretty neat.....hehehe
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

The anti-carjacking flamethrower is installed in an M5 in my first book. It's triggered by a foot pedal, though, so you'd have to rig something to automatically set it off. Get a sensitive alarm and your neighbors pets could end up as a bbq hot dog dinner.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Honestly, this kinda stuff almost makes me want to just leave my car looking like shit. At least no one messes with it that way.

I'm really sorry to hear Josh.

If you want, PM me your VIN number, and I'll see if I can get you a specific part number for the window tomorrow.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

evolutionmovement wrote:The anti-carjacking flamethrower is installed in an M5 in my first book. It's triggered by a foot pedal, though, so you'd have to rig something to automatically set it off. Get a sensitive alarm and your neighbors pets could end up as a bbq hot dog dinner.
My alarm has a separte output to trigger a relay......that'd work :-D
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

tahiti350
Third Gear

Post by tahiti350 »

swapping the glass out is easy, undo the 2 bolts on the riser, and pull out the remains, clean up any loose shards, and CAREFULLY slide the new window in until you can get the bolts back in. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!!!.

Be aware that you need to get the right shade of tint (blue or bronze).

If you were closer I have a sedan drivers rear door in the garage with perfect glass that already has aftermarket tint installed....
'90 Bermuda Blue L Wagon (Wife's),
Auto, AWD, Now with 275K + miles!

2005 Outback, 2.5 AWD (wife's new daily)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Josh, in that case all you need is some trunk space for the fuel tank and to run the nozzles under the sills beneath the doors ... of course, I don't see any reason the flame thrower nozzles have to be located THERE.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Got the glass from Frank, thanks again!

I put the window in the other week. Getting it in wasn't too bad. I had to readjust the window slightly. Now I just need to get it tinted. I've updated the pics in my first post.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Reminds me of my old car...glad none of the glass on my SVX got smashed - that'd be really...really expensive.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)