Coilover fit

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

forsinapu
In Neutral

Coilover fit

Post by forsinapu »

I have a 91 SS and am looking into getting some coilovers for it--I'm wondering which will fit this car. From what i've found the 93-01 Impreza stuff will bolt up fine but how about 02 WRX coilovers? Anything special to make them fit?

Thanks!
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

why do you want coilovers and how much are you going to spend?

I think the cheap ones are crap, here are some nasioc discussions on the subject:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1121958
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1355723
TriH
In Neutral

Post by TriH »

I have Cusco Zero 2R's on my 91 wagon from a GC8 impreza, aslong as they are pillow ball mounts it should work
forsinapu
In Neutral

Post by forsinapu »

I was really hoping to get a sweet set of KSports off Ebay ;-)

I mostly want the height adjustment that Coilovers offer as I plan on Rally Crossing the car and I live in Colorado and need some snow clearance. I'm hoping this will give me some room to adjust for varying courses and such. I've considered the Tein HG or Gravel but am still deciding on what type of setup I'm really looking for and i've never really considered them, but a lot of the WRX and Nissan guys seem to really like the Megan Racing coilovers-but I'd have to find out more info before i went that route.

How do you think "normal", meaning a non-gravel specific coilover would handle the occasional Rally Cross race?
Jason

91 Rio Red SS--She's wants to be Rally Crosser
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

most coilovers do not have enough travel to do gravel and rallyx, especially not the e-bay megan racing/bc/etc variety.

What might be better is a good damper (i.e. koni inserts) paired with ground control sleeves. That gives you a much better height adjustable setup for about the same or a bit more than $1000 coilovers, which are junk imo.

Set a budget and we can help you out. I'm going to do some research on different options for different prices anyway.
forsinapu
In Neutral

Post by forsinapu »

I was hoping to be in the 1000-1200 range--I want something that's going to work well and if I have to pay a little more I will (within reason, it's a 16year old car) that's why i was wondering what would possibly fit so I could keep an eye out if something good popped up on Ebay, forums, etc.

How do you find the stroke length--I haven't seen this listed on any coilover specs, etc.

Thanks!
Jason

def09
First Gear

Post by def09 »

That was my same idea! I am running around on 17 inch GTB wheels with the KSport Control Pros on my 92 turbo wagon and with the rears raised about half way through the lower coilover perch and they are just a bit above the tires. The perch is where you adjust the hiegth with these not the coils. There is way more room to dump it on the ground. The perch bolt holes are both slotted and when combined with the camber plates there is infinite alignment adjustment. I dont see rally crossing in them though because with the springs and the 36 way dampening is very firm even on the softest setting. Great street combat gear. My BF perched here: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=32300
or look in the parts shed topics under "last chance frantic four motors".
K Sport (ksportusa.com) has the Gravel rally sets for not all that much more to get what you really need. Im shooting for the gravel units next . Ask the ebay seller how much more they would charge for them. i ordered mine through illtech adn they said I could order different spring rates for the control pros if I knew what rates. It may have cost extra.
I sportily commuted in the control pros for almost a year and really like them so far.
subietech
In Neutral

Ksport Rally coilovers

Post by subietech »

I have a 90 wagon L and I have been trying to fine a good budget rally coilover..

anyone try the ksport rally coilovers yet ? how are they?

mike

Subietech.net
myspace.com/subietech
forsinapu
In Neutral

Post by forsinapu »

I hadn't really considered the Ksport's ever before but I've also been looking at the Ksport's rally spec GR's--I know they might not be the best but frankly that's not what I need now, my current suspension is shot and I figure this will be plenty to play around with in some rally cross events for a while so i can get some good seat time, and if they turn out to be crap then I'll upgrade in the future. How I look at it: Anything is better than what I currently have, they're correctly valved for the springs and the application, they offer height, preload and damping adjustment, have an extended stroke for rally, they're an inverted monotube design, they're rebuildable here in the states and...they're affordable. I'm going to pick some up in the next few days unless I hear some horror stories about them or I find a killer deal on some ohlin's or something ;-)

Here is one review I was able to find..
http://www.subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=1574
Jason