Heater Core Removal ???'s - Dash is out

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

skid542
Fifth Gear

Heater Core Removal ???'s - Dash is out

Post by skid542 »

I've got the dash out of the car, coolant draining and think I'm about ready to pull the heater core setup inside. I do have a couple of questions that I have not been able to resolve despite multiple searches and reading.

The heater assembly seems to be in two pieces, seperated by a rubber gasked about 1/4" thick. Do I only need to remove the right section?

Do I have to discharge my AC system? Will there be anything that I need to remove AC wise once I pull out the plastic housing box?

Will the heater core drain itself with the rest of the coolant system? As in, when I pull the box out inside the cabin - will coolant start draining everywhere?

I'd appreciate any help and guidance that anyone can offer.

Thank you.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

If i remember correctly you should be able to get just the heater core section of the box out without messing with the A/C but dont quote me on that. The box should be held in with maybe two or three bolts connecting to the firewall.

The heater core is still going to have coolant in it but since the lines are above the core you will only spill the bit that is left in the feed/return hoses on the engine side of the firewall, plug them with something to prevent any more leakage.
You might want to drain some of the coolant out of the system so the condenser tank is empty and there is less gravity pressure on the system.

If it helps at all here are pics from when i did mine.
http://oksubaru.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=259
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Sweet. That helps out a lot. I was going to remove the other side of the unit so I'm glad to see the pictures. Makes it a lot easier on me. It definately looks like I can keep my AC.

How did you get the dash off with the wheel on? I had to pull the wheel and the switch assy.

Thank you.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.