need some help

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

lucas
Third Gear

need some help

Post by lucas »

i have a 07 wrx intercooler and i need to find a mount kit for it, i was wondering if any you guys fabricate them or know where i can get one. id do it myself i just dont have the tools or time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I doubt you'll find a kit out there. Pretty much all intercooler installs on these cars are custom fabbed.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

I just let mine hang there.
Kickin' it old-school.
Trace
First Gear

Post by Trace »

with only thing that's holding it together are the T/B and turbo silicon hoses??

i was worrying about that part too. what if I make a sharp turn around the corner would my IC fly out of my engine bay?? :shock:
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

the hood pretty much squeezes it down. I just let mine chill where it is.
Kickin' it old-school.
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

I am interested in this also. STipro has been coaching me about my install and he just has it hanging by the plumbing.....

That's where I am going to start but I am curious to see how it holds up in winterX, which gets pretty violent.

I had two parts fly off my car last Sunday...
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

I think it may actually be better that the intercooler is not attached to the body, when your engine torques from acceleration/deceleration it would only put unneeded stress on your silicone couplers.

If anything you want to have a brace running from your engine to the intercooler. But most people just let them hang out with just the hoses to hold them where they are. Its not like the IC ways a ton anyway.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Isn't the 07 intercooler different in that it is smaller and uses side tanks instead of top/bottom tanks? Isnt it also directly bolted to the turbo?

edit:
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I thought that was just on the new Legacies, ciper.

I've run various intercoolers for many years now and have never mounted one to anything. Even the air/water intercooler which weighs a lot more than air/air ones seems to stay in place just fine.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

No the legacy and impreza both have the exact same engine now. I saw it at the auto show and was surprised so I looked on Nasioc and in the Impreza FAQ it says the new imprezas share the legacy engine.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh, huh... I guess that makes sense. I always found it odd that the Legacy would have such a different turbo/intercooler setup. I suppose it was just the first car to get the new setup.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I also made a mistake. Its the MY08 that have the new Legacy engine. His MY07 intercooler is probably the old style (which I prefer)

I do like the plastic intake manifold though!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, it conducts less heat and is lighter, but I wonder how it'll hold up to the test of time. Heat and oil are hard on plastic, and both are plentiful in engine bays; witness the stock EJ22T's coolant tank issues.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I've seen a few newer 'composite' intakes suffer overheating damage. From the likes of Ford (mustang 4.6) and Chevy (5.3 silverado).

I've always seen it as a weak point, but if it does transfer less heat into the intake charge, I guess thats good from a performance standpoint.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

I've herd some rumbelings about the plastic mani not being able to hold high amounts of boost though. But they are alot easier to work with from a repair stand point too.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch