New Car Shopping *UPDATED* I sold out and it feels GREAT!

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

New Car Shopping *UPDATED* I sold out and it feels GREAT!

Post by entirelyturbo »

The hour quickly approacheth.

I graduate in 6 days (found out I got a B in my history class, which is good considering I was worried I was gonna bomb it and not graduate... guy graded on a curve :)), and both my EA Subarus are as good as sold.

So once they're physically and legally sold, I get a new car.

And while the original deal was that I get an 08 FXT Sports... welll... I've been shopping.

I test-drove a 2002 Saab 9-5 a while back, 71k, Aero, VERY nice car. None of the traditional Saab issues (no sludge, turbo didn't blow smoke out the tailpipe, etc.). I know it's basically an Opel Vectra platform, but the engine at least is a B235, a 100% genuine Saab engine. Plus it still had all the little Saab quirks that I like: ignition on the floor, etc. Saabs are quirky like Subarus (or like Subarus USED to be anyway :roll: ), and they appeal to me, at least the 00-05 9-5's do.

But my grandparents wouldn't even cosign on it with me, because the deal was they wanted me to have a new car, and they wanted to give it to me. Fair enough. It's a generous offer, and I would not only be foolish to turn it down, but it would in a way be disrespectful to them also.

So... I test-drove another car today, one I've had my eye on since it came out...

... the Honda Fit.

Before anyone starts with their ignorant and trite Honda-bashing, Hondas are good cars. Period. Their engine technology is among the best in the world, they're good on gas and for the environment, and IMO, they are far more charismatic than Toyota.

So, I took a 5spd one for a spin, and found a few things I liked and didn't like.

- It doesn't have a &%$#WQ!@#$%^&* temperature gauge! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!? Yes, I understand the overinstrumentation of the 80's is gone, but still, at LEAST a temperature gauge!
- It has drum brakes in the rear. I detest drum brakes. Poorer quality, yet more difficult to maintain. Sure the car doesn't need big brakes, but I think drum brakes need to go the way of the carburetor and distributor.
- It is DBW (drive-by-wire). I personally LOATHE DBW, because I'm always 5 steps ahead of it. But the Fit has one of the most responsive DBW systems I've ever driven. Subaru's, Ford's/Mazda's, Saab's DBW is FAR laggier than this car's was. I'd still prefer it be mechanically connected, but this is the most tolerable DBW car I've ever driven.
- Ya know, I admire the little car's spirit. It IS decently entertaining: it handles good, the interior is useful yet modern (and made with quality), I personally like its styling, etc. But the car has NO power. I mean, at all. I know it's only a 1.5-liter with 109hp, but it's only moving a 2400lb car. My Legacy is not a fast car, but it would run circles around the poor little Fit. The sales guy had no problem with me wringing it out a bit, and I think it's because even wringing it out didn't do much. Granted, the car had 12 miles on it, and an extra person in it, and I know it's a Honda and there's tons of aftermarket support out there for it. But I truthfully wonder how willing I'm going to be to merge onto a highway with it.

I still am drawn to the car for some reason. My inner voice is suggesting it to me, and my inner voice is rarely wrong. But some of my issues with it are normally deal-breakers. More time is needed to think about that one. So, that's my review on the Fit.

I also swung by the Suzuki dealership to look at an SX4. I also liked the SX4 upon its arrival, so it's on my list too. The SX4, aside from having selectable AWD, also has a temperature gauge, rear disc brakes, a 2-liter engine with 143hp, and is slightly cheaper than the Fit. I sat in it while they looked for the key to move the Reno from behind it so I could drive it, and while it's not a crappy car, I can still tell that it doesn't have that extra touch of quality the Honda has. And going by the reliability records of Suzuki, it really isn't a quality car like Honda is. I'd still say Suzuki is better than a domestic, but it is essentially the worst Japanese car. I will say this though, the shifter of the SX4 feels meatier than the Fit shifter.

Unfortunately, the clowns lost the key to the Reno, and I couldn't take it for a test-drive. They offered me an automatic, but I declined. I want to drive the car as I'm going to buy it. So they have my number, and they'll probably call me next week. I might go back, although that was a red mark as far as I'm concerned. Need to get your sheeot together guys.

I was also considering a Nissan Sentra Spec-V, but when I found out it was made in Mexico, my interest soured really quick. At least the Fit and SX4 are actually assembled in Japan (i.e. their VINs start with J).

So, what about Subaru, you all ask? Wasn't I a Subaru guy at one point? Yeah, although I must confess: owning 3 Subarus while working at a Subaru dealership and missing your ex-girlfriend who has two Subarus of her own... it burns you out. No one can show me anything Subaru-related and elicit an enthusiastic response out of me anymore. Basically, been there done that.

Nevertheless, there is one glimmer of hope. The next-closest Subaru dealer has a leftover 06 FXT Limited. It's not a Sports, but it is a 5spd, and it is currently one of 3 Forester XT 5spds in Florida (the other two are in Jacksonville, which is 2 hours away, and they're both 08 Limiteds, which run close to $30k, which is more than my grandparents want to spend). The MSRP on this 06 is $28k something, but there's a lot of dickering power in the fact that it's a leftover 06.

The things turning me away from the Forester are this:

- Like I said, I'm honestly Subaru'ed out. The only reason I'm keeping my Legacy is because of its sentimental value, not necessarily because it's a Subaru.
- Yes, it's a turbo. I've bitched and moaned for years about sucking air, and now I finally have the opportunity to have it force-fed to me. But if it's a turbo, I'm going to drive it like it's a turbo. And that's going to cost me a lot of money in gas (not only because gas is $3 a gallon, but because EJ255s require premium), and means I risk getting speeding tickets. I will probably also catch a slight case of the mod-bug with the Forester too, which is something I honestly need to avoid right now.

Other things that I'm taking into account:
- The Fit would actually be $20 MORE a month to insure than the Forester!
- The SX4 will come with a college grad rebate
- The SX4 has a 7yr/100kmile powertrain warranty.

Clearly, since the car is being given to me, I'm getting the best deal with the Forester. I'm considering that. But like I said, I think I'm getting a little burned out on Subaru.

CN: Graduating college, EA Subarus essentially sold, test-drove Saab 9-5 and Honda Fit, and looking at Suzuki SX4. All have their strengths and weaknesses. Also have an opportunity for leftover 06 FXT, but kinda feel like it's time to move on from Subaru.

So, now, any thoughts or comments or suggestions? This will be my first new car, and I plan, like always, on keeping it until it runs no more, so I need this decision to be a good one.
Last edited by entirelyturbo on Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

dont buy the zuki, thats all
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

congrats on graduating, thats a huge accomplishment. Have you looked into VW?. they are sweet and well built..
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

thehookeup wrote:Have you looked into VW?. they are sweet and well built..
I would disagree with the "well built" thing.

I was actually gonna update the thread about us getting bought out by Sport and me getting a Sprinter van with the electrical issues that thing has.

I still love the Sprinter van, but it's German. And Germans suck at electrical stuff. And I have the right to say that because I am German in heritage.

The Sprinter usually ignores the commands I give it from the keyless remote, and it's an 06 (not an 05 as I said before, I looked at the wrong digit in the VIN), so I doubt the remote battery is dead. The weirdest thing is what happened last week though. I take a turn and go to accelerate. Not hard, just to get up to speed. I'm going down a straight road now and it's dry as a bone (i.e. the traction control had no reason to kick in). The van will not accelerate, and I cannot hear the turbo. I have no boost at all. FYI, Sprinters are slow as BALLS without their turbos. I pull over and just to see what happens, turn it off and restart it. Once I restarted it and drove away, I had boost again. My guess is the boost control solenoid f'ed up and stuck the wastegate open or something. I don't think it was mechanical, because it wouldn't have gone away after I had restarted it.

Anyway, yeah, VWs are no exception. They're electrical nightmares. I've been VERY fortunate in my Subaru owning experience to have never had electrical problem number 1. And I'd like to keep it that way.

Ooooh ooooh! Also, whenever something has VAG for an acronym, you know it's going to give you problems! Har har! *slaps knee*

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

'grats, brother! Get something you feel safe in. Don't forget to listen to your instincts!

We went in the Honda of NPR dealership last night to get the oil changed on the Civic, and I was VERY impressed with the whole thing. Their facility is beyond words --utterly amazing. Their service is reasonably-priced, as are their new cars. There's even free cappuchinos and muffins and all kindsa goodies at their little cafe/kitchen. Nice older lady serves 'em up with a smile.

So if you're serious about Hondas, get on down to my neck of the woods, you won't be disappointed by that place!
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

fits look like a damn fun little go cart of a car. awd is kinda overkill for florida anyway. what about a toyota yaris if you were looking at a fit? should be plenty of mods coming out for those.
congrats on graduating, what was you major? must feel good to be getting the hell out of there but you know you will miss it after a while.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

I hear ya on getting burned out on the Subarus...

I bought another Mercedes a few weeks ago, and the Subaru has been driven once in the past week...

What about getting a Legacy GT spec B...they are about the only Subaru product that I think is even worth a shit anymore.
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I prefer the Yaris over the fit. Its actually faster even though on paper it has less power.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, dude, the Yaris is awesome. One of my roommates has one (5-speed hatchback) and we love it. You should at least test drive one.

Too bad the 5-door model isn't available here...
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

555BCTurbo wrote:What about getting a Legacy GT spec B...they are about the only Subaru product that I think is even worth a shit anymore.
Out of the price range unfortunately. Grandparents won't go above $26k roughly.

Now, there are two leftover 07 SpecBs at my dealership, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're willing to come down on them, since I'm not only an employee, but since they're not moving.

I might just ask about that for the hell of it.

The Yaris is a Toyota, and while I don't doubt its statistical capabilities, I simply have no interest in Toyotas. Good cars, but I'd fall asleep driving it. Besides, I got my fair share of Toyota overkill at the Toyota dealership for almost 4 years. Thanks to that though, I at least know a ton of Toyota sales guys who could probably get me a good deal.

I've still got a couple weeks to think about it.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

You would pick a Honda over a Toyota? We are very different people!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

A friend of a friend has a Fit and loves it. It also got its stock wheels stolen in a decent part of Queens. Then again, my friend's wife's Neon has been broken into 4 times and either nothing taken or $5 items a few blocks away. The guy who owns the Fit is not a very aggressive guy (he's kind of a stiff gay guy, no pun intended), so I don't know if his idea of a fun car to drive is the same.

And VWs... Well, we all know what I think of those.

The only thing with small engines is the lack of torque. I tend to get much worse mileage than stated as the things need to be floored all the time and the gearing is always so damn low just so the little engine can move the car. The cure is light weight, but that ain't gonna happen with all the sissy safety crap they put in everything and all the reinforcements and larger interiors they need to make for the ever-fatter people. If it has a mileage computer, see what it says for an average. One major deal breaker for the Mini was the average fuel calculator in the demo I drove that read: 21 mpg. Yeah, that's like my brother-in-law's truck and likely what I'd get out of the Mini in the real world (and the non-supercharged one was way too slow). I get between 26 and 30 with the Mazda's 2.3, which is just better than what the revised EPA numbers give. This engine still has less torque than the old wagon off the line.

Where are those damn small diesels?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

SubaruNation wrote:dont buy the zuki, thats all
y not?
I haven't driven an SX4 yet, but I drove an Aerio when it was new, and I had no problem with it. you just need to think outside the US for upgrades
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I am having a hell of a time getting my friends Isuzu truck to pass smog because the parts cost 20-30x the normal amount since they have to be special ordered from japan. Even Mitsubishi had parts shortages a couple years back and thats damn scary. I would trust Suzuki even less than those two.

Unless you only plan to keep the car for 30k miles stay away from the no names and stick with Toyota, Honda and Nissan.
tonflo
First Gear

Post by tonflo »

Do not overlook the '05-'07 Corolla XRS. 6 spd manual, 4 whl disc brakes, slightly stiffer susp &chassis, 16 in alloys, 30mpg, 2zz engine that kicks in hard at 6500 rpm & 8200 rpm redline. I traded my T-wgn on a used '05 about 6 wks ago.
'94 Legacy Touring wagon. Quicksilver metallic. WRX rims, Whiteline ALK, SS brakelines, GR2s, alum. coolant tank. Gone, but not forgotten

'99 NSX, Alex Zanardi edition, #11/50. All stock & red 2 go

'05 Corolla XRS
internetautomart
Second Gear

ciper wrote:I am having a hell of a time getting my friends Isuzu truck to pass smog because the parts cost 20-30x the normal amount since they have to be special ordered from japan. Even Mitsubishi had parts shortages a couple years back and thats damn scary. I would trust Suzuki even less than those two.

Unless you only plan to keep the car for 30k miles stay away from the no names and stick with Toyota, Honda and Nissan.
if you're having trouble finding those parts, you aren't looking in the right places.
Isuzu = GM
I sell parts for a living and rarely have an issue getting any part.
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

internetautomart wrote:
y not?
I haven't driven an SX4 yet, but I drove an Aerio when it was new, and I had no problem with it. you just need to think outside the US for upgrades
have you seen their commercials?
you dont base cars off of motorcycles, or vice versa.
that just bugs me. a car isn't a motorcycle and a motorcycle isn't a car.
im sure they are good or whatever but if anything i would buy a hyundai b/c they have 10 years and 100k mile warranty,
personally that kicks ass.<---way better than subaru!
the side note, an teeny tiny itty bitty side note is that you're supporting n korea. (in think?)

you should get a used car if anything (a good one obviously) because if its a year old, wont cost as much as the new one and will have most, if not all of the same features.
you can use your extra cash to do stuff to the year old one, that is still on warranty.
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

i dont know if you own a home but new home prices kick ass right now, and are still dropping.
i would use the 26k as a down payment on a house and keep driving your other cars.
houses can depreciate value obviously, but not as easy as cars.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

tonflo wrote:Do not overlook the '05-'07 Corolla XRS. 6 spd manual, 4 whl disc brakes, slightly stiffer susp &chassis, 16 in alloys, 30mpg, 2zz engine that kicks in hard at 6500 rpm & 8200 rpm redline. I traded my T-wgn on a used '05 about 6 wks ago.
Traitor :wink:
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

He lives in FL. They're taking some of the biggest hits in terms of pricing, but I don't think they've bottomed. Eh, the state's going to become a reef in a few decades anyway.

Hyundai is South Korean. North Korea only produces misery and the occasional missile.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
internetautomart
Second Gear

SubaruNation wrote:
internetautomart wrote:
y not?
have you seen their commercials?
you dont base cars off of motorcycles, or vice versa.
that just bugs me. a car isn't a motorcycle and a motorcycle isn't a car.
im sure they are good or whatever but if anything i would buy a hyundai b/c they have 10 years and 100k mile warranty,
personally that kicks ass.<---way better than subaru!
the side note, an teeny tiny itty bitty side note is that you're supporting n korea. (in think?)

you should get a used car if anything (a good one obviously) because if its a year old, wont cost as much as the new one and will have most, if not all of the same features.
you can use your extra cash to do stuff to the year old one, that is still on warranty.
Zuki is American Japanese
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

internetautomart wrote:
ok? i dont know what that is.

evolutionmovement wrote:He lives in FL. the state's going to become a reef in a few decades anyway.

Hyundai is South Korean. North Korea only produces misery and the occasional missile.
ha ha yeah i know i didn't want to offend by saying anything :D
and,
Look at hyundai then b/c they dont build the occasional "le mizzile". :)
internetautomart
Second Gear

SubaruNation wrote:
internetautomart wrote:
ok? i dont know what that is.

evolutionmovement wrote:He lives in FL. the state's going to become a reef in a few decades anyway.

ha ha yeah i know i didn't want to offend by saying anything :D
and,
Look at hyundai then b/c they dont build the occasional "le mizzile". :)
zuki is "japanese" company owned by GM
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Am I in the minority because I drive a Subaru mainly (but not solely) because it's AWD?

I don't think ANY FWD vehicle would do for me anymore. Especially anything with any amount of power. Been there, done that. RWD or AWD is all I can bring myself to look at anymore. That means, for me, the $15K-20K pickings are awefully slim. New cars only? I think I'm done right there then. SX4, AWD Matrix? Is the AWD Caliber out yet?

When I was your age could never accept such a gift. Then again, I don't think I've ever borrowed money from anyone either. :?
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
tonflo
First Gear

Post by tonflo »

SubaruNation wrote:
tonflo wrote:Do not overlook the '05-'07 Corolla XRS. 6 spd manual, 4 whl disc brakes, slightly stiffer susp &chassis, 16 in alloys, 30mpg, 2zz engine that kicks in hard at 6500 rpm & 8200 rpm redline. I traded my T-wgn on a used '05 about 6 wks ago.
Traitor :wink:

The pisser is that the NSX is now my lowest revving car & is worth 3-4x the Corolla
'94 Legacy Touring wagon. Quicksilver metallic. WRX rims, Whiteline ALK, SS brakelines, GR2s, alum. coolant tank. Gone, but not forgotten

'99 NSX, Alex Zanardi edition, #11/50. All stock & red 2 go

'05 Corolla XRS