true facts about Gas!

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It killed lesser cars than EA81 Subarus. Mine took about a half hour of cranking to start and it may have only been running on 1 cylinder. I had to drive at push speed to a nearby station. Once I changed the gas out and threw some water absorber in the tank it was fine, but I changed the second fuel filter the next day anyway (the one under the car had to wait until better weather). The car and I never spoke of the incident again.

That and a hundred other worse stories is what a Subaru is. Was.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

thats nuts, i don't know what i would do other than make them buy me a new engine if that happened.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

This thread is a blanket statement nightmare!

MOST cars that "require" only 87 will not have any significant benefit from Premium. (There are, of course, rare exceptions to this; thus the 'most' part of the statement)

^Fact: Some people think their regular fuel requiring engine will somehow magically benefit from using premium, and make tons more horsepower along the way. This typically is NOT the case. Thus the reason for the statement at the bank. (<-- Notice the word typically).

Most cars with engines that "require" premium NEED it to function as they were designed. They are mandated by the governement to be 'able' to run on the cheap stuff, as in not blow up. And typically on an engine that requires premium, higher grade gasolines will provide even more power (eg: 91 vs 93).

But it is a crapshoot whether unleaded "race" fuels (100+) will increase the benifits further. Sometimes the increased difficulty to ignite these fuels just makes it run the same or worse, dependent on conditions (eg: turbo car at road course, race gas is fine with elevated engine temperatures).

These statements are all true, with nothing stated as fact, because there are always exceptions. And single user experience and singular data points do not change the overall general truths of the subject.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

you're a blanket statement nightmare.
:D
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Meh. The SVX takes 91+. I see no difference between 91 and 93-94. I haven't been daring enough to put 87 or 89 in it - some people have said that they can get away with putting 87 or 89 in with no ill effects. I'm skeptical.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

A family member has a BMW 528 that should be run with premium but he uses regular most of the time. During the summer you can tell its a little slower but in the winter the difference is small enough that the normal person wouldnt notice.

On the flipside my Del Sol seemed to prefer mid grade even though it was spec'ed for regular.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

ciper wrote:A family member has a BMW 528 that should be run with premium but he uses regular most of the time. During the summer you can tell its a little slower but in the winter the difference is small enough that the normal person wouldnt notice.

On the flipside my Del Sol seemed to prefer mid grade even though it was spec'ed for regular.
Ditto....my n/a legacy motor seemed to prefer mid-grade. It didn't like premium or 87 as much.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

i rest my case :P
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

here is a thread discussing gas additives from the taco forum.

http://customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102029
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

that's nuts, i never even thought about that.
i only run 91 conoco gas from the station by mi casa,

if different companies all make their own gas and put their own additives in it, then it makes sense for one company (costco) to always be like 10cents cheaper than everywhere else. I KNEW COSTCO WAS UP TO SOMETHING!
those sneaky bastards.... :lol: