07 wrx question, for a friend, still with problems

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

I guess I really need to look at tech forums outside of engine more often as I could have cleared this up 2 weeks ago. The tbe is the cause of the problem. Your buddy needs to get a proper tune with a quickness. The last couple of years putting exhaust on both the wrx and sti without a tune has beencausing overboost and detonation. A lot of pistons have been fragged by this and NO it is not covered under warranty. As stated the Magnusson Moss Act requires that the mod be the cause of the failurea. In this instance it is the cause and many people are finding out the expensive way that they aren't covered.

If your buddy hasn't already trashed his engine, the fix is easy: get an accessport, ecutek tune, or any other proper tune. There's nothing wrong with the factory boost controller. You just need to have the car tuned to adjust for the changes the tbe introduced. The new cars just don't self adapt like the old ones do.

Ps. Tell your friend to get a compression test before anything else. There' no point in spending $500+ on tuning if he cracked a ringland in his ignorance. :(
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

If you throw on an exhaust like that it will over boost. The solenoid has a duty cycle programmed for it in the map which is based around the stock, restrictive exahust. Two actions can be made to fix it: 1.) ECU remap or 2.) standalone boost control. The CEL 99.9% likely happening due to the overboost.
1.) '02 WRX-2482cc-TD06H-20G-FMIC (just sold)
2.) '90 Legacy-2.5 turbo, VF39, Haltech E8 in-hand - waiting for the 5mt swap
dirtyhandssubaru555
First Gear

Post by dirtyhandssubaru555 »

no i havent had time to pull the codes, my friend will be home at the end of january, im sure he'll buy a code reader, i was just trying to get a headstart on the problem
my girlfriend finaly found out that i spent more money and time on my car then her. she was kind pist to say the least.
92ss, tdo4, wrx stage 1 clutch and 9.5 pound flywheel, sti springs, k&n panel filter, desnorkus
86 gl hatchback rip
87 gl10 rip
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Wow that makes sence matt, I work at a smaller deilership and don't visit many WRX sites but that would sound about right with the very few blown engines we've seen. Also I would like to add that we did have one wrx with a cracked/fragmented ring land that showed good compression, the only clue was a random missfire on number 2.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Mac Tools makes an awesome little code scanner taht I use at work sometimes since the Select monitor is bulky (friggin laptop + some) It was $55-65.

Kinda off topic but in regards to warranty...

I am interested to know if any of you have seen #1 con rod come through the block just under the alternator on turbo 2.5 blocks. If its sensitive or whatever due to your work places pm me...

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

I haven't had any motors blown from modded exhaust/ overboosting yet but I know they are coming. THere are 4 06-07 sti's I keep an eye on. nobody in this town knows what tuning is..
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
EYEMASUBIE
In Neutral

Post by EYEMASUBIE »

i've had this same problem with my wrx, have him check his hoses, the hose that goes from the wastgate to the othe nipple on the intake side, and it also t's off and goes to the boost solenoid, he could also have a bad boost solenoid, in my case the hose had just fallen off at the intake nipple so i was running full boost from a td04 aka about 16-20 psi, very dangerous for your engine and i'm sure his "wind thing" is fuel cut