bad cv axle?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Murphy
Third Gear

bad cv axle?

Post by Murphy »

i noticed a few weeks ago that there is a small hole in my CV boot, it wasnt gushing grease, there was just a tiny bit that seeped out

i took it mudding, i had forgotten the hole (i wouldnt have gone if it did otherwise), and now when i turn hard left it makes a weird sound.
at first i thought something like a heat shield came loose, cause its almost like a rattle, but it sounds like its scraping the tire.
i looked and as far as i could tell (just a glance, didnt jack it up or anything) there is nothing for the tire to hit
it doesnt do it in reverse i dont think, and it only does it when turning hard left

i also noticed some radiator fluid on the bottom of my bumper and on the bottom radiator support :(
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
1983 Peugeot 505S Turbo Diesel
SubaruDriftBoy
In Neutral

Post by SubaruDriftBoy »

yeah thats a sign of a bad CV axle, ive replaced both sides on my fwd LS wagon and the sound you may be trying to describe is like a grinding noise when your turning right? but from what your saying it is a bad cv axle.
Subaru- Because friends don't let friends drive inlines
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

if it only makes the noise on a hard left and you had a hole in the boot to start with, I would be very suspicious of the axle myself. good thing new ones are cheap :D
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

well, i got towed home today from school

starting off on the way to school it did fine, but at the halfway point i turned a sharp right and heard a *bunk*, and the steering wheel jerked and the car swerved a little
as soon as i got on the highway it did it every time i let off the gas, and the car started vibrating, by the time i got to school it was doing that about every 2 seconds
i decided i wasnt going to attempt to drive it home

so there it sits in the driveway, also leaking water, hopefully its just a hose, and not the radiator
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

It's most likely the waterpump.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

ericem wrote:It's most likely the waterpump.
but it could be a dozen other parts of the coolant system.
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Most likely could yes.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

WTF! im sorta pissed! i got home a little bit ago, and i wanted to show my dad what its doing because he thinks its not the CV. so we take it out on the road, ITS FUCKING PERFECT! that scraping/grinding sound that it had for a week when i turned left? GONE! all the popping and jerking and vibration? GONE!
the PS made an odd whine once when doing a circle with the wheel at right lock, but not a single other noise or damn thing happened!

about the water
well i think its the hose on the bottom of the radiator, since the coolant is gathering in that area, its sorta out of plain view and its to cold to start taking things off, but im pretty sure.
but then again.. i was pretty sure i new what the hell was wrong with my car this morning, but now im at a loss
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
internetautomart
Second Gear

maybe you got some lubricant back in the joint (I.E. Water/mud)
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

lol a little hole in the cv definitely would NOT instantly give you all those problems. I have 2 bad front cv's both boots are broken, one both have a CRAP load of play and the car still drives fine just a little pull on take off.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

i didnt consider the mud and water. maybe there was water in it and it froze since its about 15-25* the past few days.
the problems with turning left happened just after i went mudding, i figured it because i had been so hard with it, out doing about 40mph sideways down a muddy road and some fields.
but it was popping and jerking the car like you were in a rut this morning.

ill have to look at it this weekend when it warms up outside, maybe it will be warmer tomorrow, i need to get a new boot either way
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Ya maybe your right about the freezing thing. Id check the wheels in the air make sure nothing has play.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
internetautomart
Second Gear

this freezing reminded me of my first leggy, so much ice packed up around the wheels that when you turned it made noise (tire hitting the packed snow). knocked it off and noise was gone...
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

well ive been trying to get it out, i cant get the lock nut off. looks like im going to have to go by a 1/2" breaker bar.
i was using a 1/2" ratchet with a 2' cheater pipe, but i broke the ratchet, its craftsmen though so i guess ill just turn it in and get a new one
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Trying to get the cv axle off? I would suggest picking up or renting a impact driver.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

i dont have a large enough compressor to run air tools on, i just went and got one at autozone, like $31, freakin expensive.
now i dont have a fork to get the ball joint out, i thought i had one, if i cant find it i might try to make one

Edit:
i found a better way, i dont have to worry about tearing the ball joint up. i took a sledge hammer, knocked the control arm a little, and took a pry bar and pried the ball joint out
i have to wait for my dad to get home to take out the axle, im having to knock i out with a punch and i cant pull on the spindle and punch the axle at the same time
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

well i got it in, drove it to my moms house. so far so good, it pulls to the right though, not like its out of line, but the wheel holds to the right when you let go, no matter which side of the road or the surface. its also a little easier to turn right then left. there a bit of torque steer sometimes as well, easily held straight, but if you let go the wheel cranks itself to the right.

there a scraping noise when you turn, but i think thats the rotor, it seems to always do that for a little bit after i have taken off the wheel and messed around with it.
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Might be your slider are sticking for your brakes.

Which cv did you replace?
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

i changed the left side, the right side was replaced shortly before i got the car
it seems to be doing fine other than the pulling. im not sure what to look at, it was aligned only a few months ago. steering rack maybe? what are signs of a bad steering rack
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Any play in the wheel is a sign.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

well today its been making a odd noise when i turn the wheel, it does it when sitting still or taking a slow turn usually. its like a *da-da-da-da", you can feel a vibration in the wheel when it does it

how do i change the thread title? id like to add "New problem"
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Just open a new thread lol. You should really look into raising the vehicle and see if the wheel has alot of play.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4