clacking first gear

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

thrillbilly
In Neutral

clacking first gear

Post by thrillbilly »

Hi new here. Thinking about buying 91 ss but the tranny or something make some clacking noise in 1st gear (only) and when it is idling with the clutch out but when you put it in it goes away. Has anyone had this problem? i tried searching it but no luck plus my comp. is slow. Also if it is the tranny, is there any that bolt right up with out switching anything with the clutch or rears. Models and years would be helpful. Thank you.
P.S. is 800 bucks good for this with 280000 miles, new tires, inspection and still runs real strong.
awssubaruls
First Gear

Re: clacking first gear

Post by awssubaruls »

thrillbilly wrote:Hi new here. Thinking about buying 91 ss but the tranny or something make some clacking noise in 1st gear (only) and when it is idling with the clutch out but when you put it in it goes away. Has anyone had this problem? i tried searching it but no luck plus my comp. is slow. Also if it is the tranny, is there any that bolt right up with out switching anything with the clutch or rears. Models and years would be helpful. Thank you.
P.S. is 800 bucks good for this with 280000 miles, new tires, inspection and still runs real strong.
same problem with me in 1'st gear.with high noses like bee noses
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I had the EXACT same issue on my second tranny in my SS and eventually 1st gear sheered and let go. Start looking for a new tranny now or get ready to rebuild. Either way, start saving money now cause the end is near!

Sorry :(
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
thrillbilly
In Neutral

Post by thrillbilly »

Yeah i kinda figured that. Does any other Subbies have a trans that will drop right in with no issues, even if it's not the strongest, I just need to get to work in the snow.
thrillbilly
In Neutral

Post by thrillbilly »

bump
SubaruDriftBoy
In Neutral

Post by SubaruDriftBoy »

from what ive been reading around here, (dont take my word for it) alot of people drop in WRX or impreza transmissions in and ive heard on here that they are pretty strong and can handle some use on them, of course you could also go to a yard and try to find a gen 1 legacy transmission if you want to keep it OE style.
Subaru- Because friends don't let friends drive inlines
thrillbilly
In Neutral

Post by thrillbilly »

what year is the gen ones anyway? sorry, supid newbie
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

1ST GEN is 1990-94. Pretty much any 5MT will drop right in.
Don't chuck out your SS trans, though. Rebuild it when you get a chance; internally it is much tougher than a regular Subie 5-spd.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen