Just out of curiosity

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Snow-Attack
First Gear

Just out of curiosity

Post by Snow-Attack »

do you guys know if a H6 3.0 will fit in a 90 legacy wagon and or what it would take to get it to work :shock:
1994 subaru legacy
MI winter package heated seats,mirrors,dark grey interior,5MT 202k,wrx 16" wheels
1992 Touring Wagon LE
td04 turbo,wrx tmic,tinted windows,sti pink struts,lowering springs,16" wheels,wrx brakes,remote start,keyless entry,alarm
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I have the same question. H6 turbo'd = 600+hp easy XD

or more practically about 250hp no turbo = still alot of power and good fuel economy and timing chain no belt.

I am pretty sure it will fit. All EJ engines fit. Question is how will wiring it up go.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

There are several versions of the 3.0 H6, from 210BHP in the early Outbacks to the 250BHP EZ30R in the latest Legacy and Outback models.

They will fit.

When my engine finally goes, I'll probably do an EZ30 swap into mine, because I really don't want a turbocharged car :)

Wiring on mine might be pretty easy, but we'll see.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I saw this done somewhere. I'll have to find the link later.

From what I remember it made awesome power, but the front end was a lot heavier which made for more understeer in rainy conditions.

And it did fit but the guy had literally 1 inch between the engine and the radiator fans lol.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Snow-Attack
First Gear

Post by Snow-Attack »

sweet! well im not to worried about the steering cause im probably gonna lift the car 4" anyway lol!! and the rest of the drive train will end up somewhat different than stock :-D i just thought it would be pretty sweet to have a 3.0 in it. and if you can find that link that would rock!!! and for wiring i think the easyest way to go would be to get the whole harness with the engine and what not? also am i correct in believing that the 3.0 only came with a automatic?? and if so what MT would it bolt to?
1994 subaru legacy
MI winter package heated seats,mirrors,dark grey interior,5MT 202k,wrx 16" wheels
1992 Touring Wagon LE
td04 turbo,wrx tmic,tinted windows,sti pink struts,lowering springs,16" wheels,wrx brakes,remote start,keyless entry,alarm
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

It did only come with an auto in North America.

All 5MTs will bolt to it, but I'd use an FXT, WRX, LGT or STi tranny.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

it's only like 3/4" longer than an EJ because of the timing chain. Engine mounts are the same as well. I wonder how much heavier it is.

Perrin built a ridiculous H6 STi and there's a guy on Nasioc working on a twin turbo H6 BE.

Here's the Perrin car:
http://www.perrinperformance.com/pages/show/32

Here's PHATsuby's car:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748513
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

A couple guys on Rs25 put H6's in first gen Imprezas.
One was a twin-turbo 3.3l SVX H6 build, & the other was a EZ30 Legacy H6 build that was going to use the Stock ECU @ first but was forced to go standalone.

The EZ30 guy had problems with the drive by wire system & immobilizer (chip-key), but both engines bolted into the cars/trannys easily from what I read.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

The EZ30 in the 01+ Legacy models is considerably shorter than the older SVX 3.3, so it should be lighter and is certainly more compact.

I am not sure how much different the H6 ecu is than mine, given that the first EZ30 model in North America was released only a year after my car (01 vs 00), so I might be able to get away with it.

PHATsuby's project is long-running, but will be incredibly awesome once/if he finishes it.

Cobb's Tsukuba Carbon car is also running an EZ30.

http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/?p=4

Legacy Central
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

DLC wrote: o
Cobb's Tsukuba Carbon car is also running an EZ30.

OH MY GOD!
that is the legacy that haunts my dreams!!!!!!!!! :smt089

:D i want one!!
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

thats definitly an impreza...
Kickin' it old-school.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Arctic Assassian wrote:thats definitly an impreza...
oh :shock:
i hate you
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

The wiring would probably be easier with an SVX engine because they came with OBDI wiring as in all 90-94 Legacy's. However, as was mentioned before, the SVX is a very long engine and putting it in the engine bay usually requires modification to relocate the radiator.

Heck, the 3.3 barely fits in the SVX engine bay...
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Damn you all!!! I promised myself, and my wife, no more swaps. Her nerves and our bank account barely survived the last one! Well, guess Ill have to start taking the garbage out again.

Going with the 'R' model, N/A, upgrade the drive system and suspension and install a decent standalone........what kind of price tag do you think a project like this could run, conservatively/realistically?
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

http://linaracing.com/impreza-h6-conversion-faq.php

Local rally guy with an EZ30 powered '96 Impreza coupe.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

I saw that article too. Sounds pretty doable compared to other swaps Ive seen. Its nice that the motor mounts mate up saves from having to source custom aluminum adapters. Im gonna have to start fantasy shopping and come up with a rough price.
1992 SS 5MT
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

he'll do it for 12K huh, but with you supplying the parts.

i wanna see this thing in person bad
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

SubaruNation wrote:he'll do it for 12K huh, but with you supplying the parts.

i wanna see this thing in person bad
I think he said that to indicate his unwillingness to do it again, unless for a whole lot of money.

I will hopefully see him within the next few weeks and will try to get some pics of the beast.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Thats what I figured. I couldnt see it costing near that much even with labor. How close is he to you in Greenville?
1992 SS 5MT