Make your own Linux powered Juicebox scan tool

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

is your car OBD1 or OBD2?

OBD1
86%
OBD2
7%
I don't know
7%

Total votes: 14

ripplesouth
First Gear

Make your own Linux powered Juicebox scan tool

Post by ripplesouth »

Last edited by ripplesouth on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

here's the cost of the Xdcards

eBay
Ebay Link

Ebay link#2
Last edited by ripplesouth on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ripplesouth
First Gear

New web search tool

Post by ripplesouth »

Heres a list of links found through web search on hacking the juicebox.
search terms
Last edited by ripplesouth on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=PbtvC39I9Qs

And you can learn more about it from this forum link

Found a working example of someone who has integrated nicely a screen into the dashboard guages to read obd data with a very good refresh rate. Unlike the juicebox this device can read up to 32 different parameters at once.
Last edited by ripplesouth on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If you are serious about this, please do keep us posted about your project.

On another note, ripplesouth, this is the second time I find myself having to remind you to read the forum rules (link). I'm just another board member trying to help you out, but if you have trouble following the rules an administrator or moderator may see fit to take some kind of action.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

What rule? About flaming? I started an innocent thread about a better scan tool than what you are offering, and I get some insane flamer spamming my thread within the hour?

About url links? Yea it was kind of long wasn't it? *fixed it* I didn't know how to make url shorties.
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

THIS IS SWEET!!!!

THANKS RIPPLESOUTH! Now, after you decode the subaru ECU and figure out how to display variables. You can start the programming process and then in turn get the juicebox to display the variables accuratly. Oh, not to mention we want to interact with our ECU so please make sure to figure that part out as well.

Oh and i want it all for under $100. Let me know when your done so I can send you some money.
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Brian & Aaron, regardless of the circumstances, ripplesouth has posted information that can be beneficial if someone were interested in making their own juice box. Please do not post snide remarks or post If you don't have anything relevent to say.
Last edited by Legacy777 on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

I'd probably sell the juicebox verions under $100 with a full 1 year warranty. My model would have built in power protection circuitry with a simple fuse panel inside in case something does go wrong from a stupid user. I think the idea of having a cartridge is totally unnecessary. It would be much easier and more rugged to modify the juicebox directly by replacing the picture reader IC with a hacked version. The memory card would be held internally and wired to the bus internally.
Last edited by ripplesouth on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

ripplesouth, nobody is upset about the idea of making something better than what's out there. That is one of the core purposes of Legacy Central -- we work together to improve things for everybody. Nobody here cares who achieves something; we just want it to be achieved!

If you really want to build the hypothetical device you ostensibly started this thread for, my personal belief is that you'll do a lot better if you can get Legacy Central board members on your side. I know I would never have been able to create either of my scan tools without the help of many of our fellow Legacy enthusiasts. But the way you're going, I fear you may not only find nobody willing to offer you assistance, but also find yourself unwelcome on this site altogether!

Please, brother -- take my advice at face value and do not project any ulterior motives onto it. I'm honestly trying to help.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

TheSubaruJunkie wrote:THIS IS SWEET!!!!

THANKS RIPPLESOUTH! Now, after you decode the subaru ECU and figure out how to display variables. You can start the programming process and then in turn get the juicebox to display the variables accuratly. Oh, not to mention we want to interact with our ECU so please make sure to figure that part out as well.

Oh and i want it all for under $100. Let me know when your done so I can send you some money.
Interact with your ECU? You mean you want to flash/reprogram your ECUS to burn in like say a new turbo mapping when you want to use water injection instead of the insanely rich oem air/fuel mixture? is that what you mean?
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

I want to reset codes w/out having to unplug my Battery.
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

ripplesouth wrote: If you want to express your voice of dissent then use the appropriate thread located here
Josh specifically stated that this thread is to be about your Linux device. Please do not try to start anything again. Be mature about it.

On that note, I too would like it if you could find a way to manually reset the ECU without having to unplug the battery.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

I take it Legacy777=Josh

and for those who have the voice of dissent, use the appropriate thread.

That's all I have to say about it.

Anyone else who might have something to add on methods or techniques to quickly easily create a good ECU OBD compliant scan tool that is GUI based please contribute.
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

Has anyone ever thought about incorporating the output to to your current double-din navigation touch screen?
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

That would be cool, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of trying to make an inexpensive scan tool? Seeing as many touch screen devices sell upwards of $600.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
ripplesouth
First Gear

touch screen

Post by ripplesouth »

Well you're missing the point. The creator would simply make a module that interfaces with your currently pimped out entertainment system in your car. Some people do have AVIC3 or Z2 satnav systems installed in their cars. The module itself is inexpensive.

a device like this microserver could be PC based and it has the following benefits:

The MicroServer supports many x86 operating systems. This includes Windows 9x, Windows Me, Windows CE.NET, Windows XP embedded, GNU/Linux, BSD, and QNX. We will install the software application according to your needs, such as Entertainment Workstation, DataCenter Server, regular desktop etc. NorhTec has tested over thirty Linux distributions. The distributions that we have tested with the Microserver include:

For Desktop usage:

Elx Power Desktop 2.0
Elx Linux
Mandrake 9.1/9.0
Alt Linux Junior 2.0
OEone Desktop
ASP Linux
Peanut Linux 9.5
For Server applications:

Slackware
Red Hat 9.0/8.0/7.3
IPCOP Firewall Gateway
Smoothwall
e-Smith
NetMax

I believe the operating system that VRG3 is using is linux based, is it not?
Last edited by ripplesouth on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

Here's a step by step instruction guide on how to hack your own juicebox and prepare it to do your bidding.

Here is a well-published site that can provide you schematic diagrams of the juicebox, as well as flow charts. Most of the work is open-source.
Last edited by ripplesouth on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Just a heads up, most everyone on this board drives an 89 - 94 Legacy. All of which are OBD I, so the answer to your poll question is sort of obvious...
-Aaron

ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

asc_up wrote:Just a heads up, most everyone on this board drives an 89 - 94 Legacy. All of which are OBD I, so the answer to your poll question is sort of obvious...
LOL I think you spoke too soon there asc_up at least one person has now cast their vote for obd2. I wonder who it was though...
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

Does anyone know what kind of software can be loaded onto a juicebox to read OBD1 data streams?