Ever done this? (doubt it.)

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

lunes
First Gear

Ever done this? (doubt it.)

Post by lunes »

Amusing "emergency fix" happened on my car today.

a rear caliper locked up on the guide pin (the slide) and messed up my left rear pads. I went to replace the pads and the pin actually broke off in the caliper carrier. after a long while of work, I got what was left of the guide pin out, and found out that there is no place locally to get one until MONDAY (leaving me without a car for the weekend, and without a ride home from work tonight as well) so, instead of doing the normal thing and wait for a part and spend money on a rental or something, I modified my plans, and cut the pin, welded a bolt on the pin (8mm bolt, of the highest hardness I could find, SAE grade 8 equivalent) and after a bit of grinding, welding and testing, I polished the pin and greased it and put the brakes back together (with new pads) and it got me home tonight. "ghetto garage", but in an emergency, it kept my winter beater alive for another few days...
I know this is one of those "you should never do this" type of things, but it proves that done right you CAN do it in an emergency... if you have some skill and a lot of stones... :lol:
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

I've done ghettoer...

Good use of ingenuity! :D
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
lunes
First Gear

Post by lunes »

yeah, I have too, but I HATE to have to "ghetto garage" something... it REALLY bugs me. what is worse, I had a licensed mechanic staring at it the whole time I was welding and fabricating my "new" guide pin, and from his facial expression, I got the impression that he didn't believe it was possible, and was amazed when I finished and it actually fit right and worked... and if I didn't say before, this is TEMPORARY... not a "permanent" fix. :lol:
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

those mods are the best though b/c you did them yourself ;)
nice job!
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
sebazztard
First Gear

Post by sebazztard »

anything you do that makes it work..safely... for what you need to do to get home is anything but ghetto. i really hate people, ESP grown men that bring there cars to a garage for any little repair..its very weak. good job, im glad to see people are self reliant. good luck on your final repair :P
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I read of a guy fixing a broken suspension on, I think, an old MG with an umbrella handle to finish a long distance trial.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

my favorite emergency fixes are the ones that rally drivers try.

like using shoe laces to replace a missing alternator belt.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

what.... is that for real?

they better be leather shoelaces :shock:
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

+1 for the ghettoness.

I lost the bottom bolt from my rear p-side caliper one day. All of a sudden, I heard a grrrrrrrrrrrrrdunkdunkdunkdunkdunk when I hit the brakes doing about 25 or 30 coming up to a stop light. I pretty much figured it out right away and killed the motor while gently braking with the e-brake. Needless to say, a co-worker saw me and stopped, and about an hour later I had scammed one from my parts car and had it reinstalled.

I've heard duct tape can make a spare belt if you really need one.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Let's face it, these cars ain't exactly under waranty... what ever gets ya home.

I was pretty proud of my coolant hose block-off with a DVD cake spindle the other day... still running that way.

What sort of tools/supplies does everyone keep in the trunk for emergency repairs?

I carry a small set of metric sockets, a Leatherman, roll of duct tape, small spool of 16g wire, adjustable wrench, a bunch of zip-ties, a tire plug kit, & a small 12v compressor. Also a set of work gloves & a few Tyvek whitesuits...breakdowns invariably occur when your wearing good clothes.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
what huh
Second Gear

Post by what huh »

ok try being in the middle of nowwhere(in between two cities) and a rear drum falls apart while you are driving.

Then you only have a couple of tools and a pair of vise grips. The vise grips saved the day, i don't think i could do it again if i tryed.
1998 Legacy GT-T ... sold
2000 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed ... heck yeah
1994 Legacy SS ABM Wagon ... project http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=35107&start=0
Help http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=35210
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

just a leatherman and a BUNCH of writing utensils.... for some reason?... :shock:
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

MacGyver would be so proud!
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
lunes
First Gear

Post by lunes »

funny, that's what they call me at work... :lol:
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

Post by 92ss satinsvoice »

i had the top coolent line on my radiator explode on me.

after it cooled down enough to stop spueing out. i used some scotch tape. worked awesome.
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
92 ss burgundy, weekend toy - owner since 2006
mods: too much to list, lost track after $16,000
91 ss champagne - Rip
93 L wagon - Sold (in the family)
97 OBW LTD - Sold (in the family)
88 Leon GL Hatchback - DD