And so it begins...(16G install) *updated w/ pics* No 56k

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

very good pic work, so far i have done that 3 times this year keeping it in tip top shape.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

now that you have a nice turbo on there, do yourself a favour and get rid of all the restrictions in the intake and from the turbo to the throttle body (front mount cooler) that little cooler will heat up in no time..
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

very good point rsstiboy, might as well u want all the power or some of the power that set up will make.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Matt - Thanks for the write up. Seems fairly straight forward.

I'm sure I'll be making use of this info sometime...
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

can you just take the coolant suply line off the stock turbo and put it on the new one instead of turning the new one around?
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If the new turbo is a TD05, I don't think so. The TD05's coolant banjos are bigger than stock.

I believe Deadbolt says you can enlarge the bore of the stock coolant line's banjo to make it fit, though.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

vrg3 wrote:If the new turbo is a TD05, I don't think so. The TD05's coolant banjos are bigger than stock.
This is correct. The TD05H-16G's are quite a bit bigger.
I believe Deadbolt says you can enlarge the bore of the stock coolant line's banjo to make it fit, though.
This is also correct. You will need to be extremely careful if you do that though and unless done right you will risk a leak.

Why don't you just swap the line in question on the 16G around like I did? It works really well that way. :)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
legacy13
In Neutral

Post by legacy13 »

Is this a turbo kit, or is it just bits and pieces that you put together yourself? If it is a kit, or not, where can i get the parts to do this myself? :twisted:
Think smart, Drive sideways.
Dorifuto
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

this is just a new turbo to replace the stock one
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

when you flipped the coolant inlet around did you need to cut it off of the coolan return. the two of mine seem to be attached to each other.

that and i seem to be missing the bolt on the far right side (closest to you when your closest to the turbo) of the hot side that bolts it to the dp is missing
-jason
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, the two coolant lines are connected by a thin metal strap that you have to cut. Without the strap, you have to be careful to make sure the lines don't move while you're torquing the banjo bolt down.

You mean you're missing one of the three studs? Most auto parts stores should be able to sell you a replacement.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=18278
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

i read that topic but im not missing anything on the new turbo but im missing the nut that goes on that sud on that turbo. i took the chimney off today and saw it. i think the turbo was replaced at one point due to the condition of the turbo and the fact that it seems to have been removed and even the gaskets look new. when they (whoever they are) put it back on didnt do a good job putting the oil suply on and now its caked in oil. that and return line leaks too.

hopefully all my parts get in soon so i can continue and get the fmic in afterwards. i still need a fuel pump but havent even started looking. i figure with a fmic at stock boost the stock pump can last me a while
-jason
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh.

Well, in that thread I suggest a great place to get new nuts. :)

One thing -- the nuts they sent me have 15mm heads as opposed to the stock ones' 14mm heads. For the nut that goes nearest the wastegate flapper rod, that makes for a pretty tight fit for the wrench.

But it's worth the trouble... these nuts have serrated flanges so they're actually locknuts that can stand up to exhaust temperatures.
chochocho
Second Gear

Post by chochocho »

anyone got some pics for the td05-16g DIY install that is working? that would be really helpful. thanks in advance.
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

I second that request.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
chochocho
Second Gear

Post by chochocho »

try this link and then go to the first message link. got some pics.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=27599
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

The problem is, we used to have a member here that offered free image hosting. They aren't active anymore so, we lost a lot of pics that were in older threads. I haven't, and probably won't, had the time to go back through my archive of pics to rehost all these. Sorry....
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]