watches

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

slowjoe
First Gear

watches

Post by slowjoe »

can anyone tell me a little about watches? what watches are good? which ones are bad? which one would be pretty suitable for me? i would like a watch thats pretty easy to read. i dont mind if it's analog. i probably would use it the most when driving so hopefully it lights up at night without pressing a button. and i wish it would stay pretty accurate. and not break. i dont really see anything other than a minute and hour being necessary. like, stopwatch and date and stuff and am/pm arent needed by me. i think. any suggestions? input? feedback?

edit-oh yeah, i like how those black faced analog watches look. pretty spiffy. i was kind of eyeing those stauer watches. they look like complete knock offs but they seem to do a good job of knocking off.
this
http://www.stauer.com/itemd.asp?ItemNo=14587&CatID=4
and this
http://www.stauer.com/itemd.asp?ItemNo=15143&CatID=4

caught my eye. manual wind up might prove itself to be a hassle tho.
94 AT FWD N/A wagon-gutted daily driver.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

naw.

31000 worth of swiss machinery and they are selling it for 100.

buy one of those ones that is made of kevlar and shoots lasers instead, i think i saw them at REI

like this:
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Movado makes a bad-assed watch. They have the plain black face if you're looking for something like that. A friend has a titanium cased one and you physically can't scratch it. We tried every type of knife in his kitchen and proved it. Might be a little out of your price range though.

Citizen and Seiko also makes a damn good watch. I rocked a Timex Triathalon for the longest time.

I have a really good tip if you want to know a lot about watches and can resist the push to buy something. Go to the nearest mall. Yes, I know. I hate malls too. But the guy behind the watch counter at the jewelery store is probably the most knowledgable guy between there and the next mall and the moon. They really know their shit. I met a guy once, and though I told him I was just looking and didn't intend to buy, he gave me so much information about watches, I ended up standing there talking with him about watches for over 45 minutes. If you get a good one like I did, they know EVERYTHING about ALL the watch makers, not just what's in the case. It's like finding a Subaru nut like the ones here on the forums in person, but with watches. They really know their shit. They might give a little pressure to buy, but as long as you don't tell them you intend to buy one off the internet, they'll talk your ear off and tell you some really interesting stuff about watches. The watch makers are really hurting, too. Nobody's really buying watches since there's a clock on every PDA and cell phone out there. But if you want to know everything, find a good watch guy at any jewelery store. They might even slang you a good deal, too. You never know.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I own about 15 watches, all cause they are cool looking.

Do I wear any of them? No

Do any of them work? Maybe 2.

Why?

Cause they are all self-winders, which are notiorius for not working. But damn they are cool!
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Eco drive rocks.
slowjoe
First Gear

Post by slowjoe »

i've pretty much decided i want the tritium gas tubes so i'm looking at luminox right now.
this is nice:
http://luminox.800rpm.com/index.php?/si ... /3050/3051

or if you just want a picture:
http://luminox.800rpm.com/images/watches/3051_lg.jpg

it has big easy to read numbers and its pretty simple. it is very light weight and not too thick. it can also be had for about $150
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

I have looked at those before and they do look quite nice. My only concern is how how long it would stay looking good. My Triathalon was beat to shit when I finally got rid of it. I wore it every day and rarely took it off because otherwise I'd lose it.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I used to have a citizen chronograph, and after owning it I don't intend to ever purchase another citizen. I had it for about 6 years, and in the last two years I had to send it in for service three times. Finally the repair bill was more than the watch was worth so I told them to keep it.

The problems I had: the watch would just randomly stop, the second had wasn't aligned right, and all the seals went to shit and ruined the watch. I guess I just expected it to last longer and be more durable.
Last edited by jamal on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
slowjoe
First Gear

Post by slowjoe »

Richard - what is it that actually looked bad/worn? Was the clear face scratched? was the watch band broken?

Jamal - I have no intentions of buying a Citizen watch because of how expensive they are. haha
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

The Triathalon had a couple of issues. First, it cost like $35 new. It was made of silverish plastic that eventually faded to crappy gray. The plastic face became scratched after I began working on cars for a hobby. The decals on the start and stop/reset buttons wore away, leaving me no way of telling which one to push when I wanted to time something. The Indiglo faded a bit over time, but it was working the last time I saw it. The fase finally got a big crack in it, causing it to fog up periodically. Oh, and the stainless "accordian" band always pulled on my arm hair, which was quite painful. But 5 or 6 years out of a $35 watch ain't bad.

I think it's still in the center console of the old Subaru. I'll have to check the next time I'm in it. I bet it would still keep time with a new battery.

I just looked at the new Triathalons online. They seem much better than the one I had. Or maybe it was called the Ironman. I dunno. The letters were scratched off like I said.