Smog Check with Modifications?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93Subadan
First Gear

Smog Check with Modifications?

Post by 93Subadan »

So I live in a great county in CO right now where I don't have to get emissions tested at all, but in a few months I'll be moving to CA and have to do the dreaded smog test. I have a '93 NA LS and have been planning on suspension and brake upgrades followed by swapping the engine with a turbo or installing a low boost (5 PSI) turbo on the NA engine. I'm at 116,000 miles on it, so either is really a possibility.

Anyway, my question is that would either of these (a EJ22T swap or addition of a turbo) cause me to fail a smog check if done right? I'm assuming a visual inspection is involved, but I would hope the asshat clown inspecting wouldn't have a clue or that I could just pass it off as a EJ22T swap either way :wink: I'd want an IC either way so I hope that wouldn't cause me to fail either...Thoughts?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't see why if done right it wouldn't pass. However I don't know how well informed smog inspectors are in cali about subarus.

I know I haven't had any issues with converting my car to turbo here in Houston.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

My car passed in cali with the previous owner before it was sold to me. The guy said there were "ways" of getting someone to get a car to pass. IIRC, service stations can do the test and they can step on the hose or something. It has been a really long time since that conversation, so don't hold me to it.

Why in tarnations you moving to the left coast? Colorado seemed fine enough to me when I passed through. Boulder's the shit!
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
93Subadan
First Gear

Post by 93Subadan »

Same reason anybody moves...found a great job in the middle of the Mojave desert :roll: I just wish CA would let me live my life and not regulate the shit out of everything.
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

It's for the better good, you know.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
mxpunk
In Neutral

Post by mxpunk »

do your parents or any close family members live in CO still? keep the car registered there
1996 Impreza Outback Sport 5 speed ej22
1997 Impreza Brighton 5 speed ej18t