Possible to fix broken camshaft thrust journal?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Possible to fix broken camshaft thrust journal?

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

So I am trying to do a 22B conversion on my 91 Legacy. Rebuilt 2.2 bottom end with forged Wiseco pistons in a .5 mm overbore, with Ej20G heads. I got the heads today from California (I reside in Alaska) and the boxes were real beat up. I pull out the heads and everything looks good until two little crescent shaped pieces of aluminum casting fall out and I can tell they broke off something. I can't find what they came from until I take the valve cover off:

PICS

Notice the top piece has an oil galley in it. The bottom piece can be replaced as it comes from the bearing cap, but the bottom one is cast into the head and obviously they function together as some sort of thrust bearing for the camshaft. I think the box was dropped right on that cam and of course broke it off.

Is it fixable?

I know the top part is but the bottom part is very tricky as it has a machined surface on the inside part and has that oil galley. I'm going to guess that is an oil outlet and there is an inlet somewhere that feeds oil into this journal and without that bottom piece it won't keep proper oil pressure. But alas these heads were very expensive and I am all out of money to buy a new set, even if I had the money I don't know if I could find heads like this. Their supposedly the highest flowing head Subaru made and have hydraulic lash adjusters which are really nice.
-Doug Wilson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Personally, I wouldn't risk it trying to fix it.

Maybe someone else has a better outlook on it then me.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I don't think that will ever be the same. I hope the box was insured.
90 L+ wgn
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Yes it was insured but not enough to make it worth my while, they couldn't make it that easy. Thanks for the opinions!
-Doug Wilson
keirnna
First Gear

Post by keirnna »

I have some EJ20G heads I will sell for cheap that I could have in the mail tomorrow if you want them. PM me your email address if you want pictures. Shipping shouldn't be too bad. Shipping to Hawaii for me is one of the cheapest places so I image Alaska would also be cheap. Why use EJ20G heads on a 22B replica when the 22B used heads more similar to the V4 STI? I still can't see the pictures either.
Subarus are probably the most reliable cars made – they make Hondas look like South American dictatorships." - Jeremy Clarkson
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

keirnna wrote:PM me your email address if you want pictures. Why use EJ20G heads on a 22B replica when the 22B used heads more similar to the V4 STI? I still can't see the pictures either.
You have a PM.

22B heads would be nice if I can find them, I was lucky enough to get these heads! Try the pics again. My host sucks and is unreliable at times.

I just got the pistons in today and the case halves assembled. I just need a few more parts and it's good.
-Doug Wilson
keirnna
First Gear

Post by keirnna »

My heads are EJ20G heads. I doubt you would ever find true 22B heads, but the EJ20K V4 STI heads are damn close. Those can be picked up rather cheaply. I have seen some sold for around $400 on eBay. I have some V4 heads but it may have bent valves.
Subarus are probably the most reliable cars made – they make Hondas look like South American dictatorships." - Jeremy Clarkson