What to do?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

What to do?

Post by DLC »

Last winter I started to get some overheating again. Replaced the thermostat and the problems went away, more or less, till the summer, when the car would get warmer but not hot. Later in the the fall of last year the problem started getting worse, to the point where I was losing coolant and my exhaust was actually smelling sweet.

In early 2005 I had the headgaskets, radiator and other minor parts replaced and also had the heads resurfaced after they were found to not be cracked, but warped. This was after a very reputable Subaru service department was unable to find the problem and gave up. Car was covered under the extended 100,000 mile warranty, but I still ended up paying 1/3rd of the cost because the final work was not done by a dealership.

I relented earlier this spring and finally put in some of the Subaru Coolant System Conditioner because the car was acting as though the head gasket was indeed compromised again. I knew I was risking the radiator being clogged again (I'm on my third one and it always gets clogged after using the SCSC gunk), but for a few weeks it seemed to have worked.

Then one Sunday on a long drive the car began overheating and went right about to the top mark, without going over. I naturally was upset, but have been babying it. At no time has it truly overheated, so I'm not too concerned about warping the heads, but I'm at the point where I can do a few things.

1) add another bottle of SCSC to make certain the headgaskets are sealed and drive it around for a bit, not for long distances, and make it really stick. Find a used or new radiator, flush system big time, replace radiator and touch wood for luck that it fixes the problem and that I haven't damaged the engine.

2) Dynamite.

3) investigate a swap of another EJ251/2/3 SOHC Phase II engine with lower miles (mine has just over 130k), flush system, replace radiator, thermostat, hoses and everything short of removing the heater core (which I'm tempted to do even though it's a PITA)

4) investigate a swap of a USDM EJ20 or EJ257 engine while keeping the existing drivetrain. Untuned except for an AccessPort so that I can get better fuel economy when needed.

5) Part out the car or sell it as is and get something more reliable. This would probably mean a newer Legacy BL/BP or something turbocharged, like a GT. Don't want to do this but the car isn't making my decision easy.

What do I do in the meantime? It's warm outside most of the time and rainy days are few and far between.

1) buy a < $1500 Toyota Corolla/Honda Civic/Geo Metro/Storm and try to not get creamed by trucks.

2) get a cheap 650cc motorcycle and try to to get hit by anything larger than a bumblebee (ouch!)

3) drive the car till it breaks and set the gas tank on fire. Burn baby burn!
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

If you have the money, I think you should EJ257 swap it. Don't sell it. I think the 2000 Legacy body is by far the sexiest looking body style of all. It just lacks some power :roll: but that can be fixed with the 257.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I like the dynamite & gas option.......however if you do that, you better let me know so I can buy a ticket up there to watch :)

Seriously.....you know what's involved with doing the swaps. If you really like the car, other then the engine, and it's cheaper to do the swap and keep the car reliable then go that route.

Otherwise, you may want to look at a slightly used BL/BP.

I have thought about getting a slightly used BL/BP, but I love the fact I don't have a car payment, and the impreza does what I want....it's reliable....just not much to look at.

If you do the swap, yeah I'd recommend a civic or something that does good on gas.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Get a beater and do the swap.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

+1 for the swap. If you get rid of it you'll miss it. The character of the BC/BJ is conspicuously absent in most newer cars, sexy as they may be.

And for your beater, get a corolla/prizm. They're the easiest to fix, if they break, and get >30mgp highway.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

asc_up wrote:I think the 2000 Legacy body is by far the sexiest looking body style of all.
I second that notion.

Jeremy Clarkson on the current Impreza's looks. :smt011

http://www.topgear.com/content/features ... /07/1.html
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

1 then 4 then 5.
90 L+ wgn
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

beatersubi wrote:+1 for the swap. If you get rid of it you'll miss it. The character of the BC/BJ is conspicuously absent in most newer cars, sexy as they may be.
He doesn't have his touring wagon any more.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yeah he drives this sexiness:

Now just imagine that car with an STi swap...
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Ditch it. Get a current gen. I have never liked the 2000 body style. Too pudgy.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

What head gaskets did they use to replace the failed one's? My buddies at the dealer say that the only way to really fix the problem is to use the STi MLS gaskets.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Legacy777 wrote:He doesn't have his touring wagon any more.
Then he should get another one. Especially being an admin, sheesh. Not to would be like doing his community a disservice, right?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Well I'm not giving back his old touring wagon thats for damn sure.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I like the turbo swap idea. That or new car time. I was going to swap in another n/a driveline, that was FREE, and decided it would be retarded to do a motor swap and not put in a turbo 5-speed.

Hey I was hanging out with Billy and Justin from Cobb a week or so ago and they said they knew you. I'll be coming through town a few times this summer so we'll have to all meet up.
Last edited by jamal on Thu May 01, 2008 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I do know Billy and Justin and most of the staff at Cobb. Met Trey way back in 2000 at SEMA and was really pleased when they packed up and left Texas so many years ago to join us here in Zion.

Lemme know when you're coming through, fo sho.

I am not going to get a Touring Wagon.

I might get a Merc diesel.

Turbos are a pain in the ass.

I got another bottle of the SCSC and am going to run that for the next few days until I pick up a new radiator on Friday and probably swap it in on Saturday. Good news is that the STI radiator is, for all intents and purposes, a direct fit for my car. There are plenty of people who have these sitting around after upgrades, so maybe I can keep this beast running for a while.

Oh, and the headgaskets were just the Phase II OE bits from 2005.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

DLC wrote: I might get a Merc diesel.
Do it!
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

It sounds like you have already made your decision, but my vote is to keep your car and just get the motor under control either via a swap or just work through the issues. You've done a lot to get the car customized to where you want it. Are you ready to give that up and start again? Do you think you could get a new car and not do the little mods?

So yeah, I vote keep it.

On a side note, I never realized you were down in the Zion area. Beautiful place and I consider you a lucky man!
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Here's an idea, sell it, buy a T-Leg. Its what started all this to begin with, right?

But really, sit on it for a bit before you quit. Put in the MLS gasket, Ive first hand experience with this when building my last car and it is a guaranteed fix especially under radically higher compression. Drive it for a bit when fixed and then decide if you want to dump it. Id be surprised if you sold it at that point. YOur upset with the repeat hassle of a reoccurring problem the car is not at fault and deep down you still love it. OK Im going back to my therapy lesson now, more second hand advise will be forthcoming. :lol:
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

DLC wrote:I do know Billy and Justin and most of the staff at Cobb. Met Trey way back in 2000 at SEMA and was really pleased when they packed up and left Texas so many years ago to join us here in Zion.
I was at the state meet when they announced they were leaving. I had a non-car buddy visiting from PA. It was funny watching all the subie people wigging out because Cobb was leaving TX. My buddy was like what the fuck is wrong with these people?

It was rather amusing. That was where he coined the phrase "Cobb-muther-fuckin' Tuning"
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Legacy777: Yeah, I'm sure they were kinda freaking out. I was at the opposite meeting, when Cobb guys and those from the local tuner shop Modern Garage had a meet and announced that they were moving. Stoked.

I'm gonna swap the radiator on Friday or Saturday and see if that helps.

skid542: Zion is used in this context as a Mormonism term that is used to refer to "a central physical location to which Latter Day Saints have gathered" and you can see more interesting stuff on it here: wikipedia (under the disambiguation for Zion (Mormonism))

I do not want to get rid of this car, and I'm not sure if I want to get a second car. Just want it to work and be reliable :)
Legacy Central
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Dave - ah, word.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.