Funny/Sad story

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Funny/Sad story

Post by 93forestpearl »

So my grandmother had a '96 Legacy Wagon 4EAT w/ only 102k on the ticker. She was moving into an assisted living place and didn't need the car anymore. It had torque bind and a few other issues.

She only wanted a grand back for the car, and said if I wanted to, I could fix it and sell it to make whatever money on it I could. So I replaced the Duty C solenoid and a few other things. My aunt and uncle decided they really wanted the car. I still made some money on it, but not as much as I could have if I sold it on the open market.

Anyways they were driving back home to northern Minnesota from picking it up this last weekend, and ten miles from home, my uncle smokes a deer with it. Totaled. Bumper, hood, fender, headlight, radiator, AC compressor and bracket, timing covers all toast. Airbags didn't go off though.

Too bad, since it was a nice car. Not a spec of rust on it, and it purred like a kitten.

Stay away from those furry brown things. :wink:
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Damn. Sorry to hear. Those blasted deer! I'll try again this year to shoot a couple. I've finally got a good autoloader.

Why can't government regulate deer? They make all the school bus companies here put big blinding strobe beacons on the top of them. The Amish buggies need an orange triangle on the back. Why can't the deer get something mandated?
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Almost every year I get out into the woods I do my part to reduce hte population. School doesn't always let me do that.

My grandma still had full coverage on the wagon, so my aunt and uncle will get their money back. Just sucks to know I spent a bunch of hours wrenching on that damn thing for it to not even make it 250miles.
→Dan

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Richard wrote:Damn. Sorry to hear. Those blasted deer! I'll try again this year to shoot a couple. I've finally got a good autoloader.

Why can't government regulate deer? They make all the school bus companies here put big blinding strobe beacons on the top of them. The Amish buggies need an orange triangle on the back. Why can't the deer get something mandated?
they do, it's called FWP and a rifle
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Airbags didn't go off because the sensors are too low.

A friend of mine in VT has himself listed as a farmer mostly so he can shoot deer year round. He gets about 80 a year and donates what he can't eat. I wish he'd make tons of jerky. I'd buy it under the table.

He wants to get a belt feed .50 machine gun to take them out from the back porch. He doesn't need all the meat, so he doesn't care if they are pretty much vaporized.

A few years back a deer leaped the highway median fence and crashed through the windshield of a minivan, killing the mother in the passenger seat. Before that, some guy in a twin-engine turboprop hit one on takeoff, sustaining 50k in damage, but getting a real cool picture of a blood-splashed plane put in the news.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

My air bag went off when I hit a deer a few years ago. I was doing about 100mph though. :shock:

There wasn't that much damage, it just was a sharp enough impact to make the ball come loose from the electromagnet in the airbag sensor. Trying to brake and counter steer with an airbag hanging out of your steering wheel makes things interesting.

Funny thing is, that happened about 2 miles from where I nailed a deer. deer 2, subarus 0.
→Dan

Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Up here, we run into moose when they cross. Moose are like 700-1400 lbs. It kills people when they run into em, the moose just get fucked up too much and shot to death.

See, the thing I like about Alaska is that we have nothing poisonous, and really big animals. If somethings gonna kill me, I'm gonna see it coming, and put up a hell of a fight. My best friend killed a black bear with a six inch knife, when it tried to sneak up on him.

Anyway, sad about the car, glad nobody got hurt.peace
-Adam
Kickin' it old-school.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yeah, truckers in Maine laugh when they hit deer, but even they don't fuck with moose.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Damn that sucks!!!

I remember going through wisconson and a trucker had just hit a deer. Pretty much obliterated it into a pile of goo. I ran over the pile of the goo and heard a few scrapes under the car. It stunk for a while after that.

Horses are another bad one. We were going up to stevens pass early sat morning when I was younger, and a dodge dually truck had hit a horse....fucked the truck up pretty bad, and I'm pretty sure killed the horse.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Arctic Assassian wrote:Up here, we run into moose when they cross. Moose are like 700-1400 lbs. It kills people when they run into em, the moose just get fucked up too much and shot to death.

See, the thing I like about Alaska is that we have nothing poisonous, and really big animals. If somethings gonna kill me, I'm gonna see it coming, and put up a hell of a fight. My best friend killed a black bear with a six inch knife, when it tried to sneak up on him.

Anyway, sad about the car, glad nobody got hurt.peace
-Adam
does he teach self-defense courses :D
i want to go back their sometime
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Ya, deer don't really kill anyone, as far as I know. They are just a serious annoyance. They cause more damage in this friggen state...

We don't have enough people in the woods anymore thinning the population. With the mild winters and a lack of deep snow, they are having an easy time and multiplying a bit too much.

If I could eat venison instead of beef all the time I would.
→Dan

GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

All I can say is I hate Alaska and I would trade it for Minnesota again in a heartbeat. Alaska is just plain messed up in every way possible. You don't really know the meaning of Minnesota nice until it is gone and the guy at the drive-thru in Wendy's is swearing at you in Pakistani after charging you $9 for a badly thrown together burger, fries, and coke because they have no pepsi products! Not to mention the tundra wookies, and what's with the Alaskan woodsmen that get that glazed over look in their eyes? Stay away from Alaska!
-Doug Wilson
monty's legacy
First Gear

Post by monty's legacy »

According to the Response Insurance group, car-deer crashes nationwide kill 150 people and a half-million deer each year, and cause an average of $2,000 in vehicle damage per crash. In Wisconsin, 11 people were killed in car-deer crashes in 2004.
http://www.sportsfilter.com/comments.cfm/7417

Not sure how accurate this is
91 Lsi 180k RIP(3-19-06) Sold for $120
93 L 134ish, Bring on the Snow Baby
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Deer > Bike :shock:
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

GodSquadMandrake wrote:Stay away from Alaska!
Do you guys have cows up there? One of the girls at my college who lives there says they do, but she won't bring a picture.
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

GodSquadMandrake wrote:All I can say is I hate Alaska and I would trade it for Minnesota again in a heartbeat. Alaska is just plain messed up in every way possible. You don't really know the meaning of Minnesota nice until it is gone and the guy at the drive-thru in Wendy's is swearing at you in Pakistani after charging you $9 for a badly thrown together burger, fries, and coke because they have no pepsi products! Not to mention the tundra wookies, and what's with the Alaskan woodsmen that get that glazed over look in their eyes? Stay away from Alaska!

I spent some time in Detroit, and there is definitely no Minnesota nice over there.

Doesn't the government pay people to live in Alaska?
→Dan

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Really? One thing that annoyed me about Detroit was how friendly people were. Strangers actually talk to you there. First night in an elevator at 3 AM and some guy started talking to me, I had my hand wrapped around an awl in my pocket. Turns out he was just being friendly. There's something wrong with those people.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Ya, it is definitely a different feel over there then compared to Minnesota. St. Louis was the same way. The people in Nashville were the opposite. Nashville has too nice of people.

By nice, I mean how people are and their attitude in general. Say you get some gas in Michigan. Most often the clerk seemed to hate their job and life in general. Over here people will most often have a smile on their face.

I know that's not your style though. :lol:
→Dan

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yeah, smiling people creep me out. They make me feel like I'm walking through Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun video.

For the kids at home, videos were short movies accompanying songs done by small groups of people called, "bands", as an attempt at greater commercial success through increased exposure (like You Tube, but done by professionals who got paid and weren't necessarily just shallow narcissists with too much free time). Before the internet, these videos were played on the station called MTV. MTV still exists, but back then it stood for Music Television. Because they played music. Music was arranged sounds, sometimes they were provided by "instruments" (tools whose sole purpose was creating specific sound within a range or scale), sometimes they were provided by stuff like power drills. Often, people would sing the song lyrics to accompany the sounds from the instruments (or power drills). Singing is like the talking people do during songs today, but more melodious (good sounding). If you cringe, imagining saccharine American Idol fluff or, jesus Christ, I hope not - Celine Dion (or Whitney Houston - the horrors of I Will Always Love You still wake me screaming with cold sweats), you would be wrong. What they do to singing is like what happens to chocolate eclairs after they've been through your digestive system.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

evolutionmovement wrote:Really? One thing that annoyed me about Detroit was how friendly people were. Strangers actually talk to you there. First night in an elevator at 3 AM and some guy started talking to me, I had my hand wrapped around an awl in my pocket. Turns out he was just being friendly. There's something wrong with those people.
Dont come to the NW then, especially MT
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

evolutionmovement wrote:What they do to singing is like what happens to chocolate eclairs after they've been through your digestive system.
That's an origional EM quote right there.
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Many of you may already have already seen this, but speaking of deer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGxyCPMmoq8
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Damn! That thing came out of nowhere!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Yeah, I saw that a while back. The co-driver totally freaks out, which is pretty funny.
→Dan

ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

93forestpearl wrote:Yeah, I saw that a while back. The co-driver totally freaks out, which is pretty funny.
It's Travis who lets out the big scream. Alex, in true co-driver fashion, is the one who keeps his cool.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!