In need of SOME dire help, 94 Legacy SS stupid Suspension

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

94SS_Canada
Third Gear

In need of SOME dire help, 94 Legacy SS stupid Suspension

Post by 94SS_Canada »

I really, Really need some help. My 1994 subaru legacy Sports Sedan, ABS, AWD, Non-Air ride suspension has blown struts, i knew this when i bought it in the intent to repair then i find out finding used parts isnt so easy, i was told there are interchangable parts for this car. Im looking for some good DD struts something that can be abused a little and is extremly versitile, im looking for the entire coilover, all 4.

Will any of these work?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1512598
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1512479

If not where Can i pick up 4 coilovers for cheap, dosent got to be dirt cheap but i really need this, before i drive my self insane.

Any help is extremly useful and is appreciated greatly.

You will be awarded with a Golden star sticker
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

The first link you have there is for 2004 STi suspension. This will bolt in to your car but you will run into issues with the rear top hats and the need for rear camber - as seen here http://jamalb.net/carsite/

The second link appears to have no suspension mentioned at all....... ?

What you should be looking for is a suspension from 93-01 Imprezas since that will fit our cars perfectly.

check here
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=167

check here
http://www.rs25.com/classifieds/

or make some friends in japan or new zealand so that you can buy takeoffs at auction

also remeber that many companies make coilovers for the 93-01 Impreza and you could always buy new

JDM hot on eBay has some stuff for these model year Imprezas
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I'd advise against anything from an 02+ wrx. KYB GR2 struts are a good replacement and aren't very expensive ($300). If you want to spend more there are a few other options that are mentioned in a thread in the sticky.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

If money is tight keep the stock springs and buy some AGX.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Hey Guys i really appreciate the help, but do to time and where i live i dont have the tools to switch my stock spring over, they are old so i thought id just switch them over in a day at my friends house, im going to go now look around with my new knowledge :D
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Can i use my Stock Top Hats?
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

A set of spring compressors that you turn by hand can be had for 20$ . Actually in most areas they can be had for free from Kragen
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

And that is all i need to remove the spring safely and put it onto another strut?
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

SO i think im just going to buy some struts locally a set of 4 KYBS for 300$ how does this sound, thats canadian..
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

94SS_Canada wrote:And that is all i need to remove the spring safely and put it onto another strut?
Yep. The only "special" tool you may need would be to tighten the strut top bolt to the hats.
Alternatively I bet you could pay a local shop 40$ to swap them out for you. Its a quick job when they are out of the car.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

YOu have no idea how useful this has been, going to phone up a local shop to see if they have the compressers, ill order the struts and do it this weekend! This is an amazing website!!

Is there a specific compression i do to the srpings or just compress them and put them onto the struts, should i paint the spring while im add it just to add some life to it to avoid rust and weakiining?
FastRust
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

When you compress the springs my best advice would be to do it evenly. Once you are ready to put them back together make sure to index the bottom part to the struts and dont forget the rubber parts.

I guess you could paint the springs if you have extra time but I haven't heard of them breaking before even on very high mileage cars.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Is there anything special i should be doing? Or just take the spring of and put it on the new strut install it into my car and drive away and get an allignmnet?
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Use the correct torque specs :)
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Torque specs on the srpings?

FOund in my manual right?

Im a NOOB if you havent found that out yet... ;-)
Last edited by 94SS_Canada on Wed May 14, 2008 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

check out the "how to install springs and struts" thread in the sticky at the top of here. It's pretty good. As for torque specs, the most important ones are the strut top to chassis bolts. They're really small and prone to break if over-tightened. The spec is 14 lb-ft.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Jamal is right but I was thinking the most important was the strut shaft bolt that holds the top hats on. If you dont get it tight enough your suspension will clunk all the time.