The Imprezive Build!

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Imprezive
Fourth Gear

The Imprezive Build!

Post by Imprezive »

Chapter I

First and foremost I'd like to thank the following 2 people for helping make this build possible:

Nate SanSo brother-in-law and teacher at Wyotech in Sacramento, CA - for hooking me up royally with all sorts of crap. As well as supplementing my growing knowledge of cars.

Marc Hoover at European Performance in Cameron Park, CA - for providing the professional facilities to work in and endless knowledge of engine building.[/color]

I found my 1992 White Legacy SS about a year and a half ago. I saw it in a motorhome storage park and called the owner of the park up and he sold me it for $995, all it needed was some new oil, spark plugs, and a knock sensor to get it to smog. It had 216,000 miles on it when I bought it...

>>I don't know about you, but I think this picture turned out pretty good for a quick snapshot<<

>>Scope the blue Spec Miata in the background, thats a SCCA Run-Offs winning car right there!<<

My first upgrades to the car were some primer black 2.5RS rims w/ Falken Azenis tires and wrx front brakes, and a Helix 3" turbo back exhaust that I had on my old legacy. (It was pretty loud!)

Chapter II

Since I was still in highschool I couldn't really afford much, but I finally got some version 7 sti struts that had Ground Control sleeves and some eibach springs that were pretty stiff. Later I bought a set of Goodridge stainless brake lines and some Project Mu NS pads for the front.

After a while I figured it was time to up the anty and stick an intercooler and a bigger turbo on this bad boy. So I waited for the perfect deal and found a 2006 wrx TMIC for $40 shipped and a TD05-16g with fresh oil seals for $380 shipped. I took the time/money to do a good intercooler piping setup with a prodrive y-pipe, t-bolt clamps, and silicon couplers from atpturbo.com

My pride and joy is my TurboXS BOV setup, I bought it unaware of the 90 degree elbow it came with, but it turned out to work awesome and has led to a pretty funny experiment which should show up on youtube shortly :-D

Chapter III

So at this point my car was scootin' along pretty good and it just so happens my brother-in-law works at the Wyotech school here in Sacramento. If you don't know what Wyotech is all about, its an automotive tech school like UTI, but they have a lot of aftermarket programs such as fuel injection/high performance powertrain etc... So they have an AWD Dynojet dyno!!! This equates to free dyno time for me!

At this point the car had the following mods:

TDO5-16g running @ wastegate boost (~9psi)
3" Helix Turbo back exhaust
'06 WRX TMIC

The car dyno'ed out at about 140WHP and 163 lb/ft with a funky AFR curve. I think with some fuel control I could have done better, but it was good enough for me.

Soooooo.... I was content and all was good. I had aspirations of Apex-i boost control and parallel fuel rails when IT happened...

Chapter IV

What is "IT" you ask? Well I'll tell you...

I was driving home on the freeway and I was climbing a hill on the freeway. Since it was around 10pm and I was getting impatient I decided to go faster up the hill. Soon after I rolled onto the throttle and the engine began to pull I was surprised by a sudden loss of power and a very different engine sound. I thought I had killed the engine, so I limped it to the next exit and stopped at a gas station to get my fluid levels and see what the heck happened.

My oil was a bit low, but other than that everything was normal... except it hardly idled and was down on power. Since then I have came to the conclusion that I must have some collapsed HLA's... So I began planning on rebuilding my heads, but then I thought "what the hell, I work at a race shop, and my car has 240,000 miles on the clock, why not do a whole engine overhaul?!"

This thought has lead me on my current quest. And I hate to admit it but I have still been driving my legacy since it broke... I guess you could call it a testament to how tough this engines are!

Update:
After yanking the heads off at the beginning of my engine tear down I discovered that an Exhaust Valve in the number 3 combustion chamber was missing an almost popcorn kernel sized chunk of itself. Needless to say, leak down was 100% loss on that cylinder, but it still managed to make some power while running.

Chapter V "The quest for more powa!"

I thought about what I wanted out of my engine, and what I want is something that can take a good beating at a track day yet be civil and smog-able here in California. So far my list of things to do is as follows:

Head work:

Port & Polish (including combustion chamber)
Back-cut valves
Gasket matching
Delta Stage 1 cams
Flowing heads & all the detail work

Block:

General overhaul crud...
ACL race bearings
Piston rings

But then I figured I should add on the following gizmoes:

440cc injectors
Apexi Fuel/Boost control
Heat shielding
Engine mounts
New tranny?

Lets start with the head work...

Thanks to my brother-in-law working at Wyotech, he hooked me up with a student of his who was quite proficient at porting heads. And since the kid just wanted practice, it was done for free, all I had to do was supply an intake manifold gasket for the gasket matching process.

>>Exhaust ports after the port/polish<<

>>Close-Up of exhaust ports<<

As you can see, the exhaust ports have been opened up quite a bit, he took off about an 1/8th of an inch or so of material so that it matched up to the gaskets. These pictures don't do it justice, the exhaust ports are beautiful. Not much was done to the intake side, just some minor porting and gasket matching, and he made sure to keep the port somewhat rough to keep the incoming air charge tumbling. :D

Here are some numbers from the flow bench:
(Values are in Cubic Feet per Minute)

Average Intake flow @ .100" lift - 54.46
Average Exhaust flow @ .100" lift - 62.54

Average Intake flow @ .400" lift - 198.45
Average Exhaust flow @ .400" lift - 186.33

Highest Intake flow @ .400" lift - 203.13
Highest Exhaust flow @ .400" lift - 190.26

(keep in mind that the exhaust ports are different lengths)

>>Assembling the heads, I went through about 48 springs trying to find the stiffest ones that measured within spec. I finally ended up with a set that were consistently within around 1-3 lbs of each other<<

>>Meticulously unassembling, cleaning, assembling the rocker assemblies<<

Gasket matching the exhaust headers...
>>I took this picture before I went over the headers again, smoothing out as far down into the pipe as I could go<<
>>As you can see, the gasket-matched headers are opened up quite a bit<< :-D :-D

As my rebuilt heads, Delta Cams and everything else sits and waits patiently, I attack the engine block!

Tear down took a few hours, as I attempted to label groups of bolts, parts etc... I would suggest to others who are planning on splitting the case to go out and buy some quality Snap-On tools such as a 14mm allen socket, 12pt 14mm sockets, and some good extensions. YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE INFERIOR TOOLS THAT WILL BREAK AND LEAVE YOU WITH A ROUNDED OFF BLOCK BOLT THAT SITS 3 INCHES DOWN IN A WATER PORT!!!

I say this because it ALMOST happened to me.

Pulling the pistons

I had to fashion a crude slide hammer out of a very long yet skinny bolt, a nut to thread on to the bolt, and the slide weight from another slide hammer in order to get the piston pins out. The FSM gives you a part number for the slide hammer, good luck finding a Subaru dealer to sell you one...

Pulling the piston pins and splitting the case were the 2 most difficult tasks of the tear down. Once you remove the 14mm allen plug from the block you must pull out the outer-most cir-clip and insert your crude slide hammer dealy through the piston pin and jam it through the other cir-clip and hook it on the very edge of the piston pin. I had to grind down the head of my bolt so that I could avoid scoring the piston-piston pin friction surface.

Once the pins were out, I had to split the case. Basically what I did was hang one side of the block from an engine stand, remove all but 2 block bolts and started gently hammering them apart with a plastic dead-blow hammer.

In retrospect it may have been better to leave around 4 bolts in and loosen them all evenly so that I could keep the blocks square in relation to each other and not hang up up on the dowel pins that located and align the two block halves.

The cylinder walls all looked great, with no lip at the top of the deck and beautiful factory cross-hatching. Upon further examination of the internals, I was very relieved to see that there was no scoring on any of the pistons, cylinder walls, rods and caps, and the cranks. The only bad part was the amount of carbon that had built up on the pistons.

I'm missing pictures here, but lets just say it took me a loooonnnnggg time to get all that crap off of the pistons safely. I almost considered buying aftermarket pistons...

Now the engine is back together and sitting in the car!!!!!

Chapter III

IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I've been putting it around for about 100 miles to get everything good and broken in and I finally got on it a little today. I threw on my sound canon of a muffler (part of my helix turbo back exhaust) as well. I'd been craving some obnoxiously loud suby-rumble.

Its definitely faster, and I can feel that the powerband has been pushed up higher in the RPM range. Power comes on at around 4k. It just feels so eager to accelerate now!

On a serious note, I'll be dyno'ing the car soon with the fresh engine to see what I gained. Air temp and humidity should be about what it was when I first dyno'ed it so hopefully there wont be much discrepancy.

Last time it made 160lb-ft torq and 143whp with the following mods:

'06 wrx intercooler
Helix Turbo back exhaust
TD05-16g

Now I'll be dyno'ing it with the same as above but also:

ported heads/3 angle valve job & back cut
Delta stg1 cams
match ported headers
new rings

By the seat of my pants I'd have to say that the its gained at least 15hp, probably more.

At the same time that I was rebuilding my engine, I bought some new suspension:

(pictures will come soon)

My setup consists of:

front:
Ground control wrx front housings
Koni 1085 Sport inserts
Grounc Control wrx camber plates

rear:
sti vr6 struts w/ vr8 springs (I'm too poor to afford the koni's just yet)

Set-up:

Front:
Camber: -2degrees
Toe: 1/16th out
Caster: 2.85 degrees (stock setting)

Rear:
Camber: terrible, like -.2 degrees
Toe: ~1/16th in

my passenger side front tie rod is seized up or something, so in order to reduce the toe out that it already had I had to make my steering wheel crooked and equalized the driver-side toe.

Performance:

Holy crap -2 degrees of camber feels good!!!! I can't imagine what It'd feel like if I had some actual performance tires on the car! It not only corners 100% better, it has a much more controlled feel to it while mid-corner. No more "oh crap I'm understeering"

more to come soon!!!!
Last edited by Imprezive on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:30 am, edited 15 times in total.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Send me a PM with the city you live in...
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Get some pics up!
FastRust
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Updated yo!

Updates to come soon:

Delta Cam install

Various other little mods

The tear down (expect to see this in around 2 weeks, work has got me strapped for time)
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

I've spent a lot of money on this...
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

very nice. i wish i was at wyotech and could just do practice stuff. i would hook everyone up.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

thats rad!!! you live in davis? woodland? sac??? i drive from the bay to chico ALL THE TIME.. you should stop by and see the fleet sometime ;)
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
1987 GL10 Sedan 3.700 LSD
1988 XT6 FT4WD 3.900 Diff Lock
1992 EJ22T Touring Wagon 5MT Swap 4.111
livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

Very awesome project! I really like how you explained each chapter and the history of you and you car. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Great work so far!
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

This post made me laugh. My car did a very similar thing. I spun a bearing on my origional engine a week after I changed a head gasket. So I bought a used engine that burned some oil but had a good leakdown and compression test result.

About a year, maybe less, after putting the engine in and running it, It started to run a little rough, nothing major, just a funny idle at times. I tested and tested for it and couldn't find the problem. Then one day at an autocross it started fuming white smoke, but driving it nice it was fine.

About 6 months later I was getting it smogged and it failed miserably. I did a compression test again to see what was up, and found 2 and 4 to be at 90 and 110 psi, and 1 at 30. 4 was good, it was like 150 psi or something.

Upon pulling the heads I found out that one of my valves had a small chunk taken out of it.

I've just finished putting in my rebuilt engine with a 2.5 crank and rods. I haven't stepped on it yet because I've only run it for 95 miles or so, but soon. :)

Anyways, I'm up in Rocklin, good to know there is some more local boys still around.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Oh and my car has 246k miles, and the engine ran for a year or so not being at 100% but I had no idea what the problem was. The car ran reliably even with its issues. I am very impressed with subarus.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

yeah, I need to update this build and talk about my koni's!!! Lets just say the car has grip now :D

So the engine runs strong, but 9psi just isn't cutting it. After winter the following mods will most likely occur:

Greddy E-manage Ultimate (if I can find one for the right price)
440cc injectors & 15psi of boost

Should be good for another 40hp at least.

Oh, and it will be dyno tuned. mwahahahaha

I need a new fender to.
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Small Update:

Recently installed Some Koni adjustable 1098 inserts w/ Ground Control STI housings & Ground Control WRX camber plates/Rear upper mounts

Car sticks like glue, even on my 2yr old Yokohamas :D I want some azenis tires!

Car is aligned with -2.0 degrees of camber up front and -1 degree in the rear.

Installed my Apexi AVCR and running at a cool 12psi.

Installed mini Recaro seat cell phone holder in my air vent :wink:

The car hauls, definitely faster than a wrx. But the computer is stupid, it runs way fat when you mash the throttle, I have to roll onto it to really get it to go fast. Pulls to 60mph like nothing, gotta be in the mid to low 5's.

Will be dyno'ing it soon. Gotta do a final install on the solenoid/pressure sensor for the boost controller and installed my Apexi SAFC to get the fueling right. Me thinks cams+ported heads+more boost+fuel control should yield some pretty sweet numbers.

Hopefully 200whp!

One of these days I'll upload all the pictures I have
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
chochocho
Second Gear

Post by chochocho »

good read on your build. look forward to your updates.
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

mini update, xd picture card got corrupted and so no pictures of suspension install and whatnot.

Dyno tuned the car this last weekend, will have the pulls up soon.

End result:

195whp 197wtq at 11psi this number came at the end of the tuning session, this was on a dynojet where a normal wrx puts down about 165-170whp.

I'll be bumping it up to 15psi in a few months.
crossing my fingers, hoping to get to around 230whp or maybe more.

oh yeh, and this is with SOHC heads :P
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Imprezive wrote:mini update, xd picture card got corrupted and so no pictures of suspension install and whatnot.

Dyno tuned the car this last weekend, will have the pulls up soon.

End result:

195whp 197wtq at 11psi this number came at the end of the tuning session, this was on a dynojet where a normal wrx puts down about 165-170whp.

I'll be bumping it up to 15psi in a few months.
crossing my fingers, hoping to get to around 230whp or maybe more.

oh yeh, and this is with SOHC heads :P
Were you running 9psi to get your 143hp/160tq numbers?

Any 9 psi runs on the current set-up to see how much HP the mods did @ the same boost level as the baseline?
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

BXSS wrote:[
Were you running 9psi to get your 143hp/160tq numbers?

Any 9 psi runs on the current set-up to see how much HP the mods did @ the same boost level as the baseline?
Yes, to get the 143/160 number I was running 9psi on a 16g. But that was with a cracked valve and a fucked up air/fuel ratio.

After I rebuilt the engine and had installed both the apexi SAFC and AVCR I think I was running like 10psi because I didnt know how to use the AVCR at that point and was having issues with it spiking to like 12.5 when I tried to run it around 11psi. The numbers were fairly equal and were up around 175-180 whp and wtq.

We experimented with purposely spiking the boost up to like 14-15psi as soon as the turbo could muster it (around 3000 rpm) for just long enough to evade fuel cut, then bring it down to 11psi but you just can't get the wastegate to react quick enough, but right before it would hit fuel cut is was getting over 200wtq at like 2900-3100 rpm which would hopefully climb a little higher if it didnt cut fuel.

After that we just dialed the AFR to around 12.1-ish, if I recall correctly, at like 10.5-11 psi and ended up with the near 200/200 numbers.

Did I mention that before we ran it on the dyno I had pulled my intake piping off and found that the nut to my compressor wheel had came loose and got flicked back up into the intake piping before the turbo and was just hanging out there. Luckily the compressor wheel was kinda seized on there. And there was also a shitload of shaft play but I said F it, I'm dyno'ing this baby!

So basically with the 16g in bad health it wasn't spooling as fast as it should have been. I've not got a brand new big 16g on it and its got a lot better response and pulls a little harder. In a month or two I'll be bumping the psi up to around 15, so I'll have new numbers then.

Oh ya, and here is a little interesting tidbit:

When we were testing the spiking idea the stock injectors were able to keep the AFR where we wanted it even at 15psi. Although, this was only for a split second. So I dont know if they'd be able to keep that up for long. So I kinda wanna see what these injectors will really handle, based on the AFR's we will get when increasing the boost.

At most I'm adding 17% at like 4000rpm during full throttle with the SAFC, so I think there is room to grow.

I've also pulled the wing off my car, and since I had to sell my koni's I'll be putting some other suspension on the car. I'm also making it rwd over spring break (give me axles!), and slamming it to the ground so I can get some sweet pics. Also putting some Hella driving lights on it as well.... Oh yeah and I got a sparco steering wheel :)

I think thats about it. I'll for sure have pics this time. Once all thats said and done I think the car will be about finished.... oh wait no, because it needs a proper sound system and a paint job.....

uhgg.... stupid car that i love to spend time working on!!!
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
rallyguy_777
First Gear

Post by rallyguy_777 »

Imprezive wrote: I think thats about it. I'll for sure have pics this time. Once all thats said and done I think the car will be about finished.... oh wait no, because it needs a proper sound system and a paint job.....

uhgg.... stupid car that i love to spend time working on!!!

lmao that keeps happening with my car. Was all ready the other week to add some goodies and the sunroof drainage tube overflowed and left me with 2 inches of water in my passenger foot well:S all good and dry now though. Don't talk badly about your car around it either. I did that to mine and it had a hissyfit yesterday, giving me a really weird electrical thing i had to figure out.
Massimo Narini

93 legacy Turbo (aka Gracie)
-Turbo XS boost controller(6/12psi), WRX TMIC, STI sways,04 STI struts, 3'' DP, lightweight pulley,
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

wee update:

Buying a FCD and bigger injectors in a week or two. So I will be at the dyno soon to see what we can do by bumping the psi on the 16g from 11 to 15 :)

Also playing with making a new hood scoop that actually gets air to the tmic....
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

i just picked up a safc ii and was wondering if you had any pointers? unfortunately i got it used so all i have is the controller... you have a diagra maybe?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT