Oil Pressure Gauge Sensor Question

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

conrAWD
First Gear

Oil Pressure Gauge Sensor Question

Post by conrAWD »

I am looking to put some gauges in my car and was wondering where you guys who have gauges have put the oil pressure sensor?

I've been reading on nasioc and here that there is a stock oil pressure sensor that can be tapped into with a T to maintain both...but that is on WRX's and I was not sure that the EJ22 had the same thing.

If you guys could let me know where your sensors are mounted and how effective it has been that would be great. I'm not super keen on the idea of a sandwich between my oil filter, but if it's my only option I guess I'll have to do it.

Thanks,
Conrad
94 Legacy Touring Wagon
83 GL Wagon "Mountain Goat" - Sold
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

I got the gauge sender that has a second switch to keep the stock light (VDO Gauge). I hade to use a 45deg fitting and some care full positioning to get it to clear everything, trick is to leave enough room to slack the alternator belt. You can use a T, but I think you would have to mount the sender somewhat remotely, not so good for gauge responce and more places for oil to leak.

You can see it below the manifold in the first pic and between the PS pump and alternator in the second.

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.
conrAWD
First Gear

Post by conrAWD »

Nice...Thanks for the pic...that really helps. Also, where did you end up running the wires? Along the passenger side of the engine bay or just over the engine through the intake manifold?

You said you used a 45 degree fitting...did that screw into the existing port? Where did you find that fitting?

Any leaks or issues with the set up?

Thanks again!
94 Legacy Touring Wagon
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

The wire for the oil sender runs along the throttle cables then down through a plug in the firewall below the brake booster. As you can see in the pic my current EJ20G swap is a bit messy, this is a temporary install while I build my stroker (which is taking forever), so I never really bother to clean it up much.

I made my 45deg fitting, the thread in the case plug is metric and my sender is 1/8 NPT, the two will actually work together but not very well. So I took an old fitting I had from a Datsun and welded on a 1/8 NPT coupling at 45 deg. It sounds like a lot of work but it was faster than driving into town to try and find the parts. Good news is my buddy did the same to his Subie with store bought parts.

I always use sealer or Teflon tape on tapered threads, no leaks.

Gary
conrAWD
First Gear

Post by conrAWD »

I see... I didn't even notice you had an EJ20 swap. Do you know if the EJ22 has the same plug on the block?
94 Legacy Touring Wagon
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

Yep, all EJs have a plug there.

Gary
conrAWD
First Gear

Post by conrAWD »

sick shi*t son! well I got the gauges ordered and on their way. Glad to hear that there's a plug I can use instead of the oil filter sandwich. I'll keep ya posted on the gauge install after I get them.
94 Legacy Touring Wagon
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I may be incorrect on this, but isn't there a similar plug towards the back of the engine near the bell housing that can be used for oil pressure? I will have to take a look at my block when I get home but I seem to remember other people discussing this as an option as well.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

skid542 wrote:I may be incorrect on this, but isn't there a similar plug towards the back of the engine near the bell housing that can be used for oil pressure? I will have to take a look at my block when I get home but I seem to remember other people discussing this as an option as well.
Yes there's a couple different plugs you could use.
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_4868.JPG

However I'm not sure where the branches are....so the oil pressure may have a different reading at those different spots due to oil being sent down branch connections before those taps.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

Great pic Josh.

And Lee is right there is a plug at the back by the breather outlet, this is the feed to the last main bearing, this could be a good place, tho is might show slightly lower pressure. There are others but I dont think they would have enough clearance with the engine assembled. There are also plugs at the back of the heads. The right side head plug is the turbo oil feed, and I dont think the sender would like the heat in that area, left side might be a choice. These would likely show lower pressure but gauging at the lowest pressure point might be good too.

(1) Stock location
(2) Feed to #5 bearing
(3)s other gallery plugs

Gary
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I'm taking mine from my turbo feed. That's really only possible if you have ditched the factory banjo line.

The pressure is a bit lower than taking it off the main gally, but plenty to know what is going on. Cold pressures are in the 80-90psi range, and hot is 60-70psi over 3k rpm. Hot idle is about 12-14psi back there, and that's through 5 feet of -3 to my gauge, as it is a mechanical unit. I wanted to know that my turbo is getting plenty of oil.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
conrAWD
First Gear

Post by conrAWD »

Awesome info guys. I'll have to wait until my gauges get here to see how big the sensor is. Should take about a week or so...the waiting is killing me!
94 Legacy Touring Wagon
carfreak85
First Gear

Post by carfreak85 »

Not sure about the newer EJ engines, but on my EA81T, I put a "T" between the dashboard idiot light sensor and my oil pump. I don't know where the EJ22T has that sensor mounted, but thought I would offer that suggestion.

Whats wrong with a filter sandwich anyway? Subaru used them on the EA81T for the OEM oil cooler.
1975 Superstar Wagon
1984 GL-10 Turbo-Traction Wagon & Hardtop
1987 & '87.5 RX coupes
1987 RX Type-RA
2002 WRX sedan
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited