For Sale: 1994 Subaru Legacy Turbo 5MT

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
SilverL90
In Neutral

For Sale: 1994 Subaru Legacy Turbo 5MT

Post by SilverL90 »

Hi Guys,

I am trying to sell my car because I recently graduated from college and decided to get something a little more updated, better on gas, etc.

It's a 1994 White Subaru Legacy Turbo with
• Engine: 2.2L Turbo
• Transmission: Manual 5 Speed
• Sunroof
• CD Player
• Air Conditioning
• Power Windows/Locks
• Mileage: 193,000

I have heard this is a somewhat rare Subaru and it would be a great addition for any Subaru enthusiast.

Also, more information on the old legacies can be found here: http://www.cars101.com/subaru_legacy_archive.html

It’s a nice car, overall, but definitely needs some Subaru TLC.

It currently needs a new fuel pump and a few belts replaced so says my mechanic. It also burns oil which I’ve heard could be a few different things (perhaps the original turbo going out). I don’t have the money to get them replaced and I just recently bought my new car over the weekend so I’m looking to get it sold with the problems. This is unless I can magically find some money in the next few weeks to get it fixed before it sells.

Some other problems: the sunroof occasionally leaks but generally has never really bothered me, the back speakers do not work, and the antenna makes a noise when it goes up and down.

Some perks: In January, I had a new alternator and battery put in and the clutch is only about a year old (I will try to find the bill for that). It has only had two non-smoking owners and is accident-free. It has minor paint defects but no rust spots. It is,overall, in good condition.

This summer, I am working in Washington D.C. but the car is located in Martinsburg, WV with my Mom and Stepdad. They would probably be the ones showing it unless it’s a weekend.

Here are some pictures: http://flickr.com/photos/25358358@N08/

People have told me a number of different priced that I should ask for this car but I was wondering what you guys would be willing to pay. Let me know.

Thanks!
-Cara
Last edited by SilverL90 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Quit saying RARE! These are not rare. There are way more of them out there than subaru said there were. Look at how many are for sale! Not RARE!
Kickin' it old-school.
SilverL90
In Neutral

Post by SilverL90 »

Wow. I'm not an expert, buddy. I'm just stating what people have told me. I changed it so it doesn't look so RARE anymore. Happy?
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Geez, Arctic, chill dude. I'll bet we have at least 75% of the legacy turbos left here on this board.

Good luck with the sale!

One plus is its a factory 5mt!
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

rusty ones with similar (or less) miles sell for anywhere from 1,000-2,000 depending on mechanical condition.

one note; this board is full of a bunch of cheapskates (not that there is anthing wrong with that) who are known for finding amazing deal on cars.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Hahaha, don't mind Artic Cara, some people here get touchy about the "rare" thing because about once every couple of months someone comes on the board and says, I have 1 of 36 '92 SS 5mt's in the world, can you believe it?!!!! The numbers from Subaru are wrong and for some of the older members here they just get snippy about the fact that it keeps coming up again, and again, and again......

Anyways, welcome to the bbs! :D

To answer your question. The condition of your vehicle, as described, would probably put it in the $1600-$2200 range to be honest. The fact that it needs work right away, has a "seasoned" drivetrain and is burning oil is not so good. That's assuming that the body is in very good shape of course.

Good luck with the sale!
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

I just hate it when people come here thinking they have a car that will appreciate in value, and try to sell it for $5000. That and I'm angry at subaru for not releasing correct numbers. The car looks nice, I love white.
Kickin' it old-school.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Welcome to legacy central, cara! :D

If you were in AZ, I'd be looking at your car as soon as the sun rises. But since the car is in WV, that won't be possible. :(

Hope you get to sell it to a legacy ss enthusiast who will take good care of it! :D
'94 TW
zmw
In Neutral

Post by zmw »

wow, you guys are brutal....

book value on the car in "average" condition is between 2000 and 3600, left side trade in obviously being 2000 - I will agree there are some issues and it'd behoove the OP to find out what is wrong with it before trying to sell it, but no need for being so rude.

No matter what the nut swingers think, the car with the 5MT is in fact rare, out of the 10s of thousands of legacies sold from 91-94, only hundreds were sport sedans and even fewer had a manual... I would say that constitutes RARE by the dictionary definition... Now I'm happy for someone to post the REAL numbers but since no one knows them - it's all speculation. Even if the numbers are 10 million legacies sold and 500k SS's sold, that still constitutes rare...

does that necessarily mean the car INCREASES in value, no, and I don't think the OP said anything about trying to get 10k$ for the car. She made an honest post, mentioned the problems and asked for people who were interested.

The jacked up part is *I* told her to post here because I said you guys were nice and someone would love to have this car, and this is where the true enthusiasts hung out, not iclub, not nasioc, etc.. I figured you guys would at least appreciate an older subaru in far better than average condition...

good day - Z
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

zmw wrote:wow, you guys are brutal....

book value on the car in "average" condition is between 2000 and 3600, left side trade in obviously being 2000 - I will agree there are some issues and it'd behoove the OP to find out what is wrong with it before trying to sell it, but no need for being so rude.

No matter what the nut swingers think, the car with the 5MT is in fact rare, out of the 10s of thousands of legacies sold from 91-94, only hundreds were sport sedans and even fewer had a manual... I would say that constitutes RARE by the dictionary definition... Now I'm happy for someone to post the REAL numbers but since no one knows them - it's all speculation. Even if the numbers are 10 million legacies sold and 500k SS's sold, that still constitutes rare...

does that necessarily mean the car INCREASES in value, no, and I don't think the OP said anything about trying to get 10k$ for the car. She made an honest post, mentioned the problems and asked for people who were interested.

The jacked up part is *I* told her to post here because I said you guys were nice and someone would love to have this car, and this is where the true enthusiasts hung out, not iclub, not nasioc, etc.. I figured you guys would at least appreciate an older subaru in far better than average condition...

good day - Z
Hmmm, Only one person was rude, everyone else in this thread welcomed Cara and then gave an honest opinion to the question she asked. "what would we be willing to pay?"

KBB doesn't mean much, SS's in similar condition go for what we have said, around here, quite often. Heck, I sold my '92 SS 5mt (the lowest production number SS sold) for under 4k. It had a Deadbolt Monster Ported 16G that was ceramic coated, CES Liberty RS TBE ($1800 new), Up-pipe and cross-pipe. Spec stage 1 clutch, ACT Streetlite flywheel, WRX TMIC, Group N drivetrain mounts, Alpine CD, Autometer boost gauge, FCD, Joe-p MBC, Custom intake compenents. K&N filter, Oil cooler, 16" rex wheels, the list goes on.... The parts alone were worth in excess of 6k.

So, I don't think we're being brutal, just honest as to what we would be willing to pay, which was what Cara asked. If you don't want an answer, then don't ask the question. I hope she comes back, because besides the one persons posts I think everyone has been very nice and I don't want her to feel that she got picked on or anything. However, now that college is done and she goes out to face the big bad world, I hope she confronts any issues she runs into directly and not by having a friend come to her defense instead. :wink:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

sheesh... of course we appreciate them!

And we are nothing like nasty cock... we are the antithesis! Just get to know us! lol

We have about 3000 registered users.

Of course pnly maybe a few hundred are very active. And most have Legacy Turbos... and of course we have some N/A-ers.

between myself and my friends we have/had more legacy turbos than were supposedly made. So yeah...

With leaning on the high miles side, with a few problems, I would say that Matt's (legacy92ej22t) assessment on price is very resonable.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
zmw
In Neutral

Post by zmw »

I didn't come here to defend her, I sent her here after responding to her post on nasioc because honestly the car deserves to go to someone who wants it, and most of those people would be right here..

I've personally offered her $2500 pending we get some of those things looked at and they aren't major. That is just above what you Matt quoted and was reasonable...

Artic clearly has an axe to grind, so granted my response was largely due to his.

I'm sure Cara can take care of herself, I've tried to encourage her to keep the car or fix the things wrong and sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

As a note - just because you sold your car for 4k$ that was all modded out, doesn't make her car worth any less, FWIW i would much rather have a car that is stock and never abused than one that modded out...

KBB may not mean much here, but the left side book is the lowest anyone should EVER take for a car that runs and is in decent shape. It remains to be seen what the deal is with the burning oil smell and the fuel pump...

Every SS I see for sale on this board is either rust infested, abused, or modded with prices ranging from 1500 to 7000 - this is a good example of a middle of the road car, which does NOT have high miles for it's age (13.5K per year on average) in good shape that needs some TLC - very likely needs maintenance things that any 14 year old car needs.

My constructive criticism to Cara was to find out what was wrong so she could put a definitive cost on the repairs... If the smell of oil is something minor, small leak whatever - probably not a big deal - if it's a cracked cylinder wall that's a whole other deal... but one way or the other she'll know what she's dealing with...

The fuel pump is cheap, even if it has to be replaced, who cares... her description of losing power at certain RPMs seems to me to indicate more of a fuel starvation issue so it might just be filters

leaking sunroof, bah 14 year old rubber seal, the back speakers are prolly sun baked and were crap anyway - a 99$ pair of circuit city specials would sound better, the noisy power antenna, yeah - my 2004 land cruiser has that too...

So yeah, I may have been a little harsh, and I came to the defense because she came here because I told her too and didn't want her to get beat up ;)

-Z
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

:shock:
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
SilverL90
In Neutral

Post by SilverL90 »

Wowee wowee. I wish all of these posts were people giving me offers and not bickering back and forth. I appreciate all of the opinions and just for everyone's information, I am able to defend myself but what's it even worth when you aren't sure exactly how to argue a point about something you know very little about?

I think I have enough price ranges at this point to figure something out. Thanks for the plethora of opinions.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Another data point could be the Edmunds TMV.
http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/1994/subaru/index.html
Private party ~1100 dealer retail ~2400
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

lol good read
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
bepa
Second Gear

Post by bepa »

good day to you cara. welcome to you. hope this is not to long.

about the car. could be a fuel pump connection is bad at the electricial plug. this is an easy fix. if not it could just be a clogged filter. take both hoses off the fuel filter and blow thru. you will know the difference between a clogged one and a good one.

oil leaks on subie's usually can be fixed by replacing the cam and crankshaft seals. if you know a subie owner near you, you could replace them for a good price.

sunroof's can sometimes be sealed by cleaning the seal all around the sunroof. open it and clean the seal you are able to reach. then raise the sunroof to be a vent and clean the rest. I have found that cleaning the dirt out stops a few of the leaks.

now for the other side of this. your car is worth what ever you think it is! that said I have gotten SS's for $400 and went as high as $1100. on the east coast they go for a little less.

the milage is another issue. again this is a subaru legacy SS. I have sold an SS with 250k and it waqs running strong and no smoke at all. And I drive like I stole it.

now if you are not aware a turbo motor can go for $5-700 or more, trany another $500 and that is a good price. good tires and what have you a few hundred more.

looking at it like that and your car still hits the $1500 mark with ease.

again your SS is worth what ever you ask. getting it is another thing. if you wait you will get more. but it should move quick at around $1500- maybe 2k.

oh if you could you could have the oil leaks fix. check where they are. if front seals the leak/oil drops will be coming from the front of the motor, then go down/along the engine towards the trany and back. this would be seals and not to costly to fix.

P.S. if I were near you I would be willing to fix it. just a little to far from NYC.

good luck with the car. wish you could keep it. Bepa
91 SS/ 01 MB ML 55
Bronx, NY.
theflystyle
Second Gear

Post by theflystyle »

since she is working in the dc area, im in fairfax, do you ever bring the car in with you?
-94 Legacy L
-94 SVX LSi
-08 Legacy 3.0R

-And the list of things your should never say again...gets longer....
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

zmw wrote:
Artic clearly has an axe to grind, so granted my response was largely due to his.

-Z
Actually, I have alot of wood to split. I DO have an axe to grind. lol
Kickin' it old-school.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

like the others said, you can sell it for w/e you want, but getting it is another thing.i dont know nearly as much as these guys do, but im looking to get a sport sedan and cant wait to work on it and everything. although im having alot of trouble finding one in my area. if i were you i would do what they said and take it to amechanic and see what they said the damages were and see how much it would cost to get it repaired, that way the buyer knows what he/she is dealing with. Good Luck with the sale!!
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Mattheww044 wrote: but im looking to get a sport sedan and cant wait to work on it and everything. although im having alot of trouble finding one in my area.
:shock: what...?
they are all over WA.

you shouldn't be having any trouble at all, just watch the parts shed and craigslist
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
bepa
Second Gear

available

Post by bepa »

from what I saw there are a few in the PNW area. on the NE they are a little chaeper, but not alot. if you are willing you can find an as is car. just be ready to put a little work or money into it.

the hunt is a part of it. I have been lucky because I usually turn them over to a veteran. so I have owned several. Like the SS's and GT'S.

I am doing an SVX. after trany and ABS control unit it will be on road and up for sale.

keep looking you will find the subie you are dreaming of.

p.s. in my area the po po call them zips, for the way the zip thru traffic.
be well, bepa
91 SS/ 01 MB ML 55
Bronx, NY.
GotSubie
First Gear

Post by GotSubie »

SubaruNation wrote:lol good read
:shock: I have to agree.

Its actually rather entertaining when your not the one bickering :lol:

good luck with the sale!

Jason