How many miles are the ej22t's good for?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

_Aramchek_
First Gear

How many miles are the ej22t's good for?

Post by _Aramchek_ »

Before they need reworking,on average?
Ej22TIM
First Gear

Post by Ej22TIM »

it depends on what you are going to use the car for. do you have one or are you looking? just daily driving and keeping the car stock with normal maintenance the car will last 300k plus miles, hell i wouldnt be suprised to see a 22t with half a million miles on it and still going strong.

now as far as making hp, if you are looking to buy one I wouldnt buy one with more than 200k on it if you arent going to rebuild.

the 22ts are argueably the best engine subaru has ever made. period.
Tim
93 Legacy SS Winestone 5mt swapped
Megan Racing Bellmouth 13psi
WRX Intercooler and Hoodscoop
JDM ej20G DOHC head swap, wiseco pistons and td04 in the making.
_Aramchek_
First Gear

Post by _Aramchek_ »

I recenty aquired one a 1991 5spd,it's a little high mileage 200k+,not sure exactly since I have yet to physically be in it's prescence (I'm out of the country and relying on second hand info from my family members).

I want to go a little over stock for the short term,but nothing crazy I'd be happy with just a bit more hp and was curious as to how well it would hold up under 200hp.

Eventually I will want to be having it rebuilt to kee it all nice and reliable and go for more hp.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I tore down an EJ22T with 212K and it was mint. Didn't need a rebuild at all. All the crosshatching was there, with very little piston slap. I'd say do a compression check and if its good, run it. If the motor was/is used regularly, it should be ok. If it sat for years, it may need a freshening.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

The only "major" part an EJ22T with 200k miles could probably use is a new rear main seal.
_Aramchek_
First Gear

Post by _Aramchek_ »

Wonderfull to hear.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

185k and pushing 20psi daily. :0 no smoke no leaks. If anythings goes wrong, generally it's my fault.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
the_watts10
First Gear

Post by the_watts10 »

my unlce sold his stock ej22 NA 1 1/2 years ago and it has 420k on the odometer and its still truckin original engine and tranny just tune ups here and there
ej22t hybrid, 3.5" downpipe, Gl turbo intake/desnorkel 9psi DEAD
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

Yeah, mine was pristine with 168,000 with full original crosshatching. The only reason I needed to rebuild it was the fact I seafoamed it and spun a rod bearing, once opened I noticed every hydraulic lash adjuster was caked with gunk.. so I'm guessing the seafoam just broke free TONS of crap and clogged a rod's oiler..

but the block was perfect and the pistons were pretty, so I just had a machine shop clean up the block and I put in a new set of bearings, rods and pistons and another crank to make a badass bottom end.

So AS LONG AS they changed the oil, it'll be dandy with TONS of miles on it. The rear main and valve covers leaked too.. :P but meh, it's a subaru thing.. :P
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

500k seems like a bit much... But they will generally last forever, besides the rear main seal leaking, the rear baffel plates can leak too. Also with a 22t with milage over 250k i would think about replacing the turbo, VF11's last along ass time, but they dont get better with age. I would say rebuild it if you wanted to keep it, or throw on a TD04, intercooler etc...or ebay for a vf11 with lower miles
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

500k seems like a bit much... But they will generally last forever, besides the rear main seal leaking, the rear baffel plates can leak too. Also with a 22t with milage over 250k i would think about replacing the turbo, VF11's last along ass time, but they dont get better with age. I would say rebuild it if you wanted to keep it, or throw on a TD04, intercooler etc...or ebay for a vf11 with lower miles
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

500k seems like a bit much... LOL jk

The long block lasts forever if the oil is clean and filled to the correct level and it always has the right amount of coolant.
I say it that way because the supporting systems do not last forever. Oil leaks and coolant leaks are the #1 cause that any Subaru engine dies (not including the EJ25 NA)
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Not sure the history on my 94 TW, but basically when I got it, cylinder 1 was shot. Think it had around 150K. Car was stock as far as I know.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.