what do i need

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

00lgt
In Neutral

what do i need

Post by 00lgt »

i recently blew my ej22t, I found a ej22 n/a so i was wondering would i be able to just swap the turbo stuff from the old motor to the newer one TIA for any help,Jeff
ChesterKV
In Neutral

Post by ChesterKV »

The block and heads are different. Camshafts are different, pistons are different. The compression in the ej 22 n/a is around 9.4:1 which is a lot higher than the ej22T. The EJ22 n/a doesn't have the built-in oil squirters for the main bearings.

- Chester
EJ22 n/a installed in 1984 Volkswagen Transporter/Vanagon/Bulli
EJ22 motor with blown head-gasket undergoing rebuild to stock specifications
the_watts10
First Gear

Post by the_watts10 »

well actually if you use you turbo heads and NA block it works just fine thats what my engine consists of and just make sure that you reseat the valves but im sure u knoe that but anyway ive ran 14 pounds of boost and it was fine. running like 9-10psi right now and will run higher when i get intercooler
ej22t hybrid, 3.5" downpipe, Gl turbo intake/desnorkel 9psi DEAD
00lgt
In Neutral

Post by 00lgt »

alright thanks i just found another 22t for an extra $300 so i think i am going to go that route still have to go check it out hopefully its in good shape so i can start fixing the car up its going to be a long process
ChesterKV
In Neutral

Post by ChesterKV »

00lgt wrote:alright thanks i just found another 22t for an extra $300 so i think i am going to go that route still have to go check it out hopefully its in good shape so i can start fixing the car up its going to be a long process
$ 300.00 for plug-and-play is well worth it in my opinion.

- Chester
ChesterKV
In Neutral

Post by ChesterKV »

the_watts10 wrote:well actually if you use you turbo heads and NA block it works just fine thats what my engine consists of and just make sure that you reseat the valves but im sure u knoe that but anyway ive ran 14 pounds of boost and it was fine. running like 9-10psi right now and will run higher when i get intercooler
Hey Dude,

I know that the EJ22 n/a can run as a turbo but for overall reliability I'd recommend swapping in another EJ22t when given the option. Having said that, my long term goal is to supercharge an EJ22 n/a. Did you build up the EJ22 n/a before you turbocharged it? Change the main bearings for example ? Pistons ?

- Chester
the_watts10
First Gear

Post by the_watts10 »

well what i did was take my turbo, manifold and heads etc. of my ej22t and put it on the EJ22 NA block but no we didnt bore or stroke any thing just reseated the vavles and had the block and heads done at a machine shop

low budget
ChesterKV
In Neutral

Post by ChesterKV »

the_watts10 wrote:well what i did was take my turbo, manifold and heads etc. of my ej22t and put it on the EJ22 NA block but no we didnt bore or stroke any thing just reseated the vavles and had the block and heads done at a machine shop

low budget
Cool,

And what octane gas are you using and how many miles on the motor? Did you lower the compression ratio by using a particular type of headgasket ? The turbo ECU is being used I assume. Always good to know these things. Have you done a compression check lately ?

- Chester
the_watts10
First Gear

Post by the_watts10 »

no compression check i did it when put the motor in and it was somethign like 9.7:1 or something like that it was in the high 9's almost 10's but yeah stock SS ecu and we used the same Turbo head gasket but runs fine my uncle thinks i may be running a little lean but i cant notice it its defeintly faster than the stock SS motor and the block has 120k miles on it but the valves were reseated and the whole head and block was machined at a machine shop

this may help you with head gaskets and compression differences

http://wac.addr.com/auto/obs/turbo/ejcalcs.html[/url]