Going junkyard shopping for brakes - what should I look for?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jblair
In Neutral

Going junkyard shopping for brakes - what should I look for?

Post by jblair »

I have a 93 Wagon and the brake rotors are shot. I'm going to the junkyard to look for some rotors (and maybe calipers) and I was wondering what I should look for.

Should I only get them off a wagon? If I find a newer model Subaru, what brake rotors and calipers would be considered and upgrade?
1993 Legacy L Wagon AWD. A pair of Hella 500 fog lights and a set of winter tires are coming in preparation for 115 inches of average annual snowfall.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Front or rear?

If front, get the new 06-on WRX fronts. Direct bolt-on and 4 pots!

If rear, then try to find the Turbo rears.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
jblair
In Neutral

Post by jblair »

Both. Oh, I and I forgot to mention that I want to keep the stock wheels. I doubt I'll find any turbos, but you never know. I'll probably find a bunch of sedans, maybe a wagon and some 93-95 Wagons.
1993 Legacy L Wagon AWD. A pair of Hella 500 fog lights and a set of winter tires are coming in preparation for 115 inches of average annual snowfall.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

If you want to keep the stock 14" wheels, you'll have to stick to regular N/A brakes. I think the brakes were bigger in the rear on the wagon, but the front were the same.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
jblair
In Neutral

Post by jblair »

There were some 95 and 97 turbo wagons, Outbacks, etc., but I wasn't sure if used rotors are worth it or not. Also, can anyone recommend a good online retailer for rotors?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

The best solution if you want rotors you'll probably never have to replace is to get OEM replacement Brembos or such and have them cryotreated (or buy them that way). That is not the cheapest solution unless you will drive the car over another 100k mi. and are hard on your brakes. Otherwise, I just recommend a brand-name OEM replacement. I don't recommend used rotors as rotors today are usually not serviceable - to keep weight down, they're pretty thin to begin with and cars' overall weight is very high. Combine that with stickier tires and better pads and you get a lot of heat into the rotors. Most used rotors will probably be worn pretty well already and with new OEMs somewhere around $40 each, it's kind of a false economy unless you really luck out with a find. I'm no passive safety Nazi, but I do value dynamic safety and I don't mess around when it comes to brakes. Even a minor bumper bang will cost you far more to fix than some decent brake parts to begin with (which you'll then have to buy anyway if you still can).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
jblair
In Neutral

Post by jblair »

Autozone has Duralast rotors for $31 and they have a two-year warranty. I'm thinking about going with those.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

That's a good deal with the warranty. Buying used ones and having them turned, which wouldn't last, would probably cost you more than that. If you can find a place to cryo treat them, you might be able to get that done on the cheap.
Last edited by evolutionmovement on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Autozone rotors FTW. Cryotreating is a plus too. Get some decent pads and you'll be set.
SUBARUEHS Racing
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Cryotreating rotors is a huge benefit IMO. It does cost a little more, but longevity of the rotors is much more.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm