For you Craigslisters... I need an opinion.....

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

NuclearBacon
Second Gear

For you Craigslisters... I need an opinion.....

Post by NuclearBacon »

This is my little rant... and i'd like some honest opinions, so i can shrug it off and keep on searchin.....

I found a set of stainless steel brakelines, an aluminum pulley and a billet oil cap for a KILLER price of $115. I contact the guy and we go back and forth, and we make the deal. SOLD! he says on tuesday. we make arrangements, i'm picking them up on sunday....

I get a call last night (thursday) at 10:20pm. he's like "hey someone offered me $150 and i wanted to offer you the chance to counter offer it"...

.... i pause... "well, dont we already have a deal? aren't they considered sold?"

"I got bills to pay man"

"thats all good and well, but if you wanted to play auction house, you should have just posted that stuff on ebay..."

"...so you want to counter offer?"

"NO i do not want to counter offer, you can go ahead and sell it out from under me.... thats kinda messed up."

"*he hangs up*"

Chaps my ass a bit, so i write him a civil but odviously disgruntled email stating that it wasnt cool, use ebay next time, and that i feel a bit shafted.... but my original offer of $115 stands if the guy is a flake.... cuz i NEED a pulley, LW would be cool, but no biggie, and i dont need the stupid oil cap, and i dont need the ss brake lines (though they would be nice).

SO! granted the guy maybe could have sold them directly out from under me without calling... but... we literally made a deal, and i have the email here with him saying "SOLD"....

...and i might be totally over-reacting... i was already in bed, lights out, when i saw my phone light up...

Discuss :)
Last edited by NuclearBacon on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
1987 GL10 Sedan 3.700 LSD
1988 XT6 FT4WD 3.900 Diff Lock
1992 EJ22T Touring Wagon 5MT Swap 4.111
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

All I have to say is some people are complete assholes....that's life, and I wouldn't waste much energy into getting all worked up over it. There is absolutely nothing you can do to change the outcome.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

The guy was a complete ass. The items SHOULD have been considered your personal property the moment he said sold. The problem is he exchange wasn't made right away so they guy had time to receive better offers and figured since he still had your property and hadn't received payment he had you by the nuts.

Very uncool.
Dave

Post by quicklook »

he is not even a moron, he is a less-on.

let's string him up.
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

WOW, ok,i wrote him and i got this as a response....

Hey Luigi,

You are right. As soon as I got off the phone with you last night, I told my girlfriend "I feel like an asshole". We made an agreement, and I'll admit that I let visions of more $$$ cloud my vision. If you will still meet up with me at Glen Park, Sunday at 11, just let me know. I can appreciate the car build on a budget, having been there myself. In any case, just let me know, I don't mind losing a little money in pursuit of keeping an agreement.

-----------------

this guy is ok in my book again... and i have been re-assured in the world of craigslist ;)
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Wow, well thats good of him to honor the original agreement.... Lets see if he follows through...

I had someone sell a 93 Legacy Touring Wagon out from under me... we made the deal and I was planning on driving down to get it and he called and said he "sold it locally because they offered him more"... Pissed me off.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

...You're gonna get jumped. CHICO california!
Kickin' it old-school.
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

Arctic Assassian wrote:...You're gonna get jumped. CHICO california!
What!!>!>! dont jump me!
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

Luigi....

don't wait next time! Looks like your deal may still go through, but here is a valuable lesson to be learned. The way you shoulda done it was something like this:

You: "Hey I want your parts, i got $115, will you take it... yaddy yada yadda...."

Him: "Yeah man, sure, $115 sounds good... blah blah blah"

You: "Great! Where are you located, I can be there in 20minutes."

See, that way there is no time for anyone else to come and swipe the parts. Sure, it maybe unethical for him to sell the parts to someone else, but at this point in time... until you submit payment for said parts, they are still his. He is free to do with them as he wishes.

$45 is $45 no matter how you look at it. Thats nearly a full tank of gas. If it were me, I maybe hard pressed to turn down an offer of $150.

I've had plenty of shit sold out from under me. It sucks, i always kick myself and find myself repeating the same phrase... "Damn, i shouldn't have waited."

-Brian
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

Totall, but sitting at work on a monday morning seeing the post that was made at 5am....

Im kinda stuck.. especially if its glen park bart station.....

but good point.
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I can see valid arguments on both sides here.

This is a business transaction and nothing more, so yeah, if the guy gets offered more money, I think he should take it.

Now... could he have been more tactful about it and let you know what was going on before he "sold" it to the other guy? Yes.

A prime example... my 79. Literally 2 hours after posting it on Craigslist and the USMB, a guy from NC called me up saying he was very interested. He then sent me a $100 deposit.

The very next day, I had a guy call me up locally and said he had cash in hand and was ready to pick everything up that night. Virtually the same dilemma.

But, I told him I already had a deposit on it and that unless that fell through, it was as good as sold.

I call the guy up from NC and let him know what was going on, but reassured him that I wasn't trying to flim-flam anybody and that he still had dibs with that deposit. He sent me another $150 to confirm that he wanted it.

He was one of THE best guys I've ever dealt with in the Subaru community.

Anyway, back on-topic. This is free enterprise, so unfortunately, a gentlemen's agreement doesn't hold much water. But money does. So if you want something for sure, give him a deposit. THEN if he backs out or sells it out from underneath you, you can throw the book at him.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

DerFahrer wrote:This is free enterprise, so unfortunately, a gentlemen's agreement doesn't hold much water. But money does. So if you want something for sure, give him a deposit. THEN if he backs out or sells it out from underneath you, you can throw the book at him.
The poetical part of this is, while You may be right. It still says something about someone who cant stand behind a "Gentlemen's Agreement"

If you are showing the vehicle and get a number of calls. then first money takes it. But to agree to sell to one person. then sell to anotherr.... is just bad form.
Dave
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I don't disagree. There's no need for anyone to be a dick just because one has something the other wants. I dislike the seller's method of business just as much as the buyer does.

But, like I said, this is free enterprise. You're not there to make a friend. Both parties are interacting for nothing other than to satisfy their own whims, so you look out for yourself and yourself alone.

So, next time, cover all your bases and give the guy a deposit.

That does two things:

1) Makes the seller respect you. You have your shit together, and he knows it. That will strongly discourage him from trying to fuck you over.
2) Covers your ass. Should the transaction go sour, you're 100% in the clear, and he's the one who's in trouble.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

The transaction went great, the parts were exactly what were described, and the guy was SUPER nice... i promised him a beer in chico if he ever found his way up there...

now if my clutch cable hadn't of snapped on friday.... ;)
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Yey! You didn't get raped in a park.
SUBARUEHS Racing
NuclearBacon
Second Gear