My go at a real CAI

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

joshm
First Gear

My go at a real CAI

Post by joshm »

So I dont really like the stock intake setup and started my car with the coffee cup mod. I ran it for a week or so and decided i wanted something better. So i cut a phat hole in my fender, bought a 45* and 90* elbow (3"PVC) and made a couple MAF adapters, and before the night was over we have a real CAI.

Cost me about $15.
joshm
First Gear

Post by joshm »

any opinions ?
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

I dunno man

I always though about getting my pod into the fender but it never felt like there'd be enough room

judging by your second pic I think I was right. it isn't sealed off or anything, looks like a lot of the filter is still exposed to the bay

it's pretty ghetto

does it run smooth? does your car like it? seat of the pants upgrade??? does/did your car run rough and stumbly before getting over ~2300 rpm?

is it an improvement?
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
joeWM
Second Gear

Post by joeWM »

did u custom make that MAF adapter??
[quote="kimokalihi"]Jesus, that's a grocery list of problems.[/quote]
92 Legacy SS 5MT....sold :(
02 Aspen white WRX Stage 2, 20%tint
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Not a bad idea...if it wasn't so poorly executed
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
joeWM
Second Gear

Post by joeWM »

also noticed ur BPV is blowing off atmospherically?
joshm
First Gear

Post by joshm »

joeWM wrote:also noticed ur BPV is blowing off atmospherically?
Wasnt hooked up in the pic. I dont need it blowing off atmospherically,filter makes it hiss just as loud

555BCTurbo wrote:Not a bad idea...if it wasn't so poorly executed
Whats so poorly executed about it ?
joeWM wrote:did u custom make that MAF adapter??
Part of its from the stock airbox.

To answer the other questions, yes it runs excellently. You really have to make sure everything is well sealed. How it was setup in the pic it leaked a bit after the MAF and made it run shitty. Went through the whole system today and sealed it and now it runs awesome ! Definatly more throttle response, honestly, its not a huge power upgrade, but it gives me peace of mind that i will not have any issues with intake as im planning on running 13lbs boost, these are just mods leading up to the intercooler/MBC.

Also, in the picture the filter isnt pushed all the way into the fender, the filter is 100% in the fender now. You have to have it positioned just so or else it will hit the tire under suspension compression :shock:

As for whoever said it is poorly done (quoted above), i still dont understand how. Because the piping isnt overpriced stainless ? There is honestly no benefit i can see of stainless, other then the fact that it looks pretty. Itll hold pressure fine, There is only one connection that isnt rubber, which is siliconed and holds air fine. At first glance people may think its a "hack job" because it doesnt look pretty. I couldnt care less for looks, if i cared about looks i wouldnt have bought a legacy :lol: All business, all performance, thanks for the feedback
joeWM
Second Gear

Post by joeWM »

joshm wrote:
Wasnt hooked up in the pic. I dont need it blowing off atmospherically,filter makes it hiss just as loud

To answer the other questions, yes it runs excellently. You really have to make sure everything is well sealed. How it was setup in the pic it leaked a bit after the MAF and made it run shitty. Went through the whole system today and sealed it and now it runs awesome ! Definatly more throttle response, honestly, its not a huge power upgrade, but it gives me peace of mind that i will not have any issues with intake as im planning on running 13lbs boost, these are just mods leading up to the intercooler/MBC.

Also, in the picture the filter isnt pushed all the way into the fender, the filter is 100% in the fender now. You have to have it positioned just so or else it will hit the tire under suspension compression :shock:

As for whoever said it is poorly done (quoted above), i still dont understand how. Because the piping isnt overpriced stainless ? There is honestly no benefit i can see of stainless, other then the fact that it looks pretty. Itll hold pressure fine, There is only one connection that isnt rubber, which is siliconed and holds air fine. At first glance people may think its a "hack job" because it doesnt look pretty. I couldnt care less for looks, if i cared about looks i wouldnt have bought a legacy :lol: All business, all performance, thanks for the feedback
Oh, what part of the stock airbox is it from?
looks good to me haha
joshm
First Gear

Post by joshm »

joeWM wrote:
joshm wrote:

Oh, what part of the stock airbox is it from?
looks good to me haha
Take off the top cover, take the filter out, and theres a gold ring that the MAF screws into
joeWM
Second Gear

Post by joeWM »

oh gotya
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

will take pics of mine. have the filter in the fender wall with a 3 inch pvc pipe going to the hole where i have a hose going to the MAF.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

posted pics
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

that setup has to run like shit, hook up you bpv man, i took off mine just to try it, ran like shit, also an elbow right before your maf, no good to much turbulence for a proper reading
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
joshm
First Gear

Post by joshm »

RJ93SS wrote:that setup has to run like shit, hook up you bpv man, i took off mine just to try it, ran like shit, also an elbow right before your maf, no good to much turbulence for a proper reading
BPV is on, read up. It was off in the pics, wanted to see how it ran.

Also, it runs awesome ! location of MAF is almost identical to stock (distance from filter), Look at stock maf location, then this, bend wise, almost identical.
PhilSine
First Gear

Post by PhilSine »

joeWM wrote:
I'll cover this one...

It's poorly executed because it looks like you handed a blind man a sawzall and tried to describe to him where you wanted the hole cut.

If you're happy with it and like how it functions then that's all that really matters. Keep in mind that you did ask for opinions so please don't take it personally when you get some that you're not in love with.

If you're doing heavy mods then sometimes you have to sacrifice appearance for functionality. When that happens, it is not unusual for some to simply overlook the aesthetic imperfections.

When you do a simple mod and it looks bad there is little defense for it. Friends don't let friends hack in a CAI.
91 Legacy SS
98 OBS-T
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Why are you guys giving this guy such a hard time?

He made due with what he had and made something work, We dont know how well it works and if he says it works WEll it does. It dosent have to pretty to function the same, ive made some pretty nasty things in my day and they outlasted proven products, So ya man nice work
FastRust
joshm
First Gear

Post by joshm »

PhilSine wrote:
joeWM wrote:
I'll cover this one...

It's poorly executed because it looks like you handed a blind man a sawzall and tried to describe to him where you wanted the hole cut.

If you're happy with it and like how it functions then that's all that really matters. Keep in mind that you did ask for opinions so please don't take it personally when you get some that you're not in love with.

If you're doing heavy mods then sometimes you have to sacrifice appearance for functionality. When that happens, it is not unusual for some to simply overlook the aesthetic imperfections.

When you do a simple mod and it looks bad there is little defense for it. Friends don't let friends hack in a CAI.
As far as im concerned, aesthetics dont matter, im all about functionality. If i wanted something aesthetically pleasing, i wouldnt have boughten a legacy :lol: Keep in mind pictures of the intake where in a preliminary state, and nothing was really cleaned up. I was more or less putting out the idea of filter in fender.

And yea, the hole isnt perfectly round, obviously the intake is a hack job :?
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

joshm wrote:boughten

Wow :shock:
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

looks good man, good job actually putting the filter in the fender. That is definitely a step further than most go. Instead of cleaning up the hole maybe just gut your stock airbox and put it back in place around the cai to clean that area up.
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

i see your maf is close to stock, but would be better after a straight piece of pipe, like if you cut another hole in your fender to eliminate the elbow, i'm glad you hooked your bpv uo though.
Last edited by RJ93SS on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
joshm
First Gear

Post by joshm »

RJ93SS wrote:i see your elbow is close to stock, but would be better after a straight piece of pipe, like if you cut another hole in your fender to eliminate the elbow, i'm glad you hooked your bpv uo though.
Yea, its just as loud with the new filter anyways. I ran it for a bit with the BPV venting and it ran awful