Recycling your catalytic coverters?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Recycling your catalytic coverters?

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Anyone know what kind of prices the cats off of our cars get for recycling at a parts/recycling center...I have the stock turbo-back off my 91 ss just sitting in the garage. I know that on ebay some cats bring some unbelievable prices, at least enough for a good chunk towards 3" stainless...are we sitting on a gold mine here?
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

All depends on who you know. If they don't know you, most scrap yards will try to rip you off and prices will vary between yards. The difference can be huge - where I could walk in and get $4/lb. copper, I know of a couple idiots who got less than $1/lb.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Many metal recycling places will give you decent pricing. They're worth 40 bucks each nowadays up here.
Kickin' it old-school.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

We are having a small epidemic here in SoCal.

Owners are returning to thier vehicles (mostly trucks) and getting a earfull of open exhaust noise. I assume the recycle value of them must be worth enough to make these people that brazen.

2 stolen in our work parking lot in the last 2 months, and you hear about more weekly.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
shtbxr22
Fourth Gear

Post by shtbxr22 »

I recently sold two DP's to a traveling cat purchasing guy for $95, so you could guess what he's skimming off it. they are pretty valuable.
Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

1998 VW GTi VR6 5MT (SOLD)
1992 SS 4EAT Winestone (minus 2 gears/SOLD)
1994 TW 4EAT Quicksilver (blown up/SOLD)
2007 Legacy SE 5MT Satin White Pearl (Mine now :))
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I got $165 for the two of mine after the first place tried to give me $45. It pays to do some research and find out who gives the good money for them.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.