new car question answered - now with 100% more pichers on p2

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

which car?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:24 am

Honda Civic Si
13%
Mazdaspeed 3
No votes
Subaru WRX
50%
other, please post
38%

Total votes: 8

corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

I wish. :?
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

Update: Tomorrow I'm calling in to see if they haven't sold the black Civic Si I was looking at. There is 1 08 WRX wagon in this state or within reasonable driving distance. It's white and the dealer says they want $26k for it. While the Si is quieter, smoother, and more economical than the WRX, the pangs of brand loyalty aren't going away. I wish I could afford an STI. Maybe I should go used.

You can get a 1 or 2 year old vehicle in great shape for quite a bit less then brand new costs, so it's a way to cut your costs and/or get more car for your money.
Can anyone recommend a good used car warranty?

Sign of the times: While passing the automall today they had some Hummer gasguzzler2 for $25k with like 25k on the odometer. Half the MSRP with just 25,000 miles...[/quote]
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

done deal, got a fantastic deal on a new white Civic Si Sedan, probably going to keep the wagon though to keep insurance down, pics soon
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

You never thought selling out and getting a Honda would feel so good would you? :lol:

It's very hard to argue with a car that you just put the key in and drive it.

Congrats. And get a second set of wheel locks in addition to your OEM set :?

I've heard of 2-year-old Navigators going for $10k around here.

Oh... and

TITTYWOP ;)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

Well I decided to have the dealer put on tints, fog lights, and splash guards (no drill so I can take them off later) so I don't have her right now, but as soon as I get a chance I'll take some pics. It's nice to be able to toss those little things in and get them financed.

I had only 1 major problem in 280 something thousand miles on my Subaru, that should breed brand loyalty. Especially considering that the most I had to replace was a power steering pump, I should have been rabid about a new Subaru. But I didn't find Subaru's current offerings to be very appealing. I just look at the new Impreza and see cost cutting here and cheaping out there and I don't really dig it.

Give me an Impreza with 220-250 N/A HP from a 2.5L engine, frickin 4 pots, an interior that doesn't look like it's made from plastic trash cans and a 350 watt sound system from the factory. Price it at 22 grand. Then we'll talk.

rant

I shouldn't have to buy a car and then mod it to how it should be. I want to buy a car and if I mod it it'll be to get more out of it than most find reasonable.

/rant
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

more to come this weekend, that was a really quick pic with a real camera
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Crikey! What a little beauty! 8)

Buy it or lease it?
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

Aerotech wrote:Crikey! What a little beauty! 8)

Buy it or lease it?
why thank you!

it's bought :twisted:
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Excellent choice on the color. Hondas always look good in white.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
quicklook
Second Gear

Post by quicklook »

good luck with your new car.

sorry it was not a subaru.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'm sorry Subaru can't build an intelligent, desirable car anymore. N/A 2.0 or 2.2 DI, turbo optional (though I don't want it - DI on a 2.2 N/A would make more than the 2.5 they have now and be solidly in the 30s for mileage), weighing under 3200lbs (though under 3000 and rwd would be nice, I can be realistic), MKI Legacy-sized wagon with a stick shift that doesn't look like it was transported on the short car carrier and I'd pay $30k for a base model (no sat-nav or any other crap gizmos I don't need).

That is unless Aptera started selling in MA.

I think Honda's been the only consistently smart company to build a real car (not pointless exotics). Toyota's quality went to shit as they expanded too much, Subaru dumped that shit 2.5 on the market plus they got hideous, Mazdas are glorified Fords with the matching reliability/PITA repairs. Nissan's been consistent, I guess, but I wouldn't call them smart. I've been pretty impressed with my brother-in-law's Civic Hybrid. Doesn't drive as nice as the 3, but I'm sure it will be more reliable. It's certainly a better car than my sister's 2003 Maxima in every way other than having a smaller trunk and less power, but then that shit Nissan gets the same mileage as my brother-in-law's 2005 Colorado 4wd did.

I think he made a decent choice. White doesn't show up scratches and dents too badly either. They came out a few months after I bought the Mazda. I don't know which I would've picked had the Honda been out. Eh, probably the Mazda, but only because I hate trunks.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

As dumb of an idea as the FCX is (hey, let's use electricity to extract hydrogen from water, then have this car use hydrogen to make electricity and leave water as a byproduct :roll: )...

... at least they're trying.

Toyota has gotten REALLY lazy over the past couple years, however.

I'm not saying they're bad cars. Although, yes, Steve, they have had some growing pains, such as when the new Avalon came out and they were having a lot of electrical problems because there were simply too many bells and whistles... but their core lineup, the Corolla, Yaris, Scions, etc., are still decent cars.

But they're resting on the laurels of the success of the hybrids, and near as I can tell, have made no attempt to progress toward alternative fuels or even improving on the hybrids.

And furthermore, Honda pushes some buttons with their designs, mine included. Like I said, the new Civic's interior is a bit weird for me. I think the new Pilot is hideous. The Element has always been a bit controversial.

But at least they're experimenting with new ideas.

Every single vehicle Toyota makes now is drab and boring, both to look at and to drive, and they just continue to play it safe by facelifting their lineup every couple years. I swear to God, if you put a 02-06 Camry and an 07-08 Camry next to each other where I can only see the side of the car and cover up the taillights or headlights, they're exactly the same. The door panels are identical. The shape of the car is identical. They're pushing new headlights and taillights as the "next generation." Horseshit.

Same with the new Corolla, although that grill is MUCH more hideous than the Camry's.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

quicklook
Second Gear

Post by quicklook »

i have known over 20 civic owners who had their car stolen or broken into or wheels taken.

that alone would keep me from owning one.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

That pretty much goes without saying.

I truly believe that's the main reason why the new Civic is 5-lug, because the deliquent crowd has no use for them on their old Hondas.

Nevertheless, it probably wouldn't hurt to put an extra set of wheel locks on it. Yes, I mean two wheel locks per wheel. A different set too, not the OEMs. There aren't that many different OEM cuts for wheel locks, so a would-be thief has a halfway-decent chance of having the right key handy to get the wheel lock off. But if there's a second aftermarket lock on it, then his chances aren't so great. Even if he got lucky, the extra effort of removing two wheel locks instead of one is probably deterrent enough.

I myself have a second aftermarket set of wheel locks, and I'll probably have them put on when I go in for my next oil change, since I still have the sought-after 4 x 100 lug pattern.

As far as stealing the car goes, there's pretty much only two ways to do it now:

1) Steal the key
2) Tow it

I hear, on average, about 3 complaints a day about how much it costs to get a key for a new car, because just about every car on the market has a transponder key now. The key itself is usually about $40-$50, and then another $100 in labor to program it. Yeah, it's steep. I understand that. But it makes the car a HELLUVA lot harder to steal.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I wonder what the difference in insurance cost between the Honda and Subaru are considering the high theft rate of the Honda.
As far as Toyota goes... I think they've shifted too much of their product development resources to their truck line and agree that they're resting on their laurels as far as new car models go.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Subarus are quickly becoming the new Honda in the import scene. I've heard of a LOT more WRXs and STis being stolen lately, or wheels stolen, etc.

So if there still is an insurance advantage in owning a Subaru (which has already significantly diminished because they're seen as "sports cars" now), then it will soon be gone.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

I'm immensely surprised at the asshat per-capita on NASIOC these days. It seems like all the retards who in the early 2000's (sounds strange to say that) drove the Hondas with unpainted body kits and fart cannons moved on to WRXs and even STIs. It used to be you rarely saw a WRX on Motegi or some other cheap ripoff rim with altezza lights and mesh grilles. Now it's like that with every other 'rex I see. It's the trickle down theory of imported performance (or lack thereof) cars.

I'm also aware of how many WRXes get stolen or broken into. The frameless windows on the 02'-07' Imprezas are no better than those on our BC/BJ Legacies for deterring theft as my long gone Nokia 3300 and cd collection can attest to.

I'm probably going to get some spline drive lugs for the car, enough to deter the casual theif. Wheel locks don't really matter, all one needs is a impact socket and a contractor's mallet and your wheel lock is defeated.

'sides, I'm lucky enough not to live in the 'hood and I get to park on campus where there are security patrols and a distinct lack of sketchy parking lot thefts.

As for insurance, the WRX is yet again on the 10 most expensive cars to insure according to my agent, so the Civic ends up being much less expensive. Keeping the wagon as my 'daily driver' on my policy also helps.

edited for friendliness
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Unbelievable. If that doesn't put things in perspective, nothing will.

A WRX costs more to insure than a Honda Civic. Wow.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

DerFahrer wrote:Unbelievable. If that doesn't put things in perspective, nothing will.

What's surprising about that? You have a "high performance" little pocket rocket which has gained popularity among youth drivers that think they can drive. End result since 2002 has been a lot of wrecks. Insurance companies tend to keep tabs on that stuff.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Legacy777 wrote:
DerFahrer wrote:Unbelievable. If that doesn't put things in perspective, nothing will.

What's surprising about that? You have a "high performance" little pocket rocket which has gained popularity among youth drivers that think they can drive. End result since 2002 has been a lot of wrecks. Insurance companies tend to keep tabs on that stuff.
Well, there you have it. The WRX is the new civic.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Wow, except for the mud-guards the Civic SI looks pretty nice in white.

I have had my eyes on a blue/gunmetal one. I'd really like the Mugen if it didn't cost half your manhood and was ULTRA prone to theft.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

What did you end up paying OTD on the Civic? It may be a feasible option if my next car isn't a Diesel Wagon of some form (hopefully a Turbo Diesel Outback) or a Prius.

A turn-key and drive car that gets 30 to 35 on the highway would be fantastic.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

Phil, I ended up paying 22k with the accessories and a warranty extension for 7 years or 100k miles.

I may end up painting the mud guards to match, at least I can remove them easily.
BAC5.2 wrote: A turn-key and drive car that gets 30 to 35 on the highway would be fantastic.
I got about 38, highway cruise, on the way to and from Dallas last weekend. Did the math. I couldn't believe it either. Did I mention this car is also a blast to drive, suspension is tiiiiiiight but very comfy, the seats are amazingly supportive, and that 6 speed is almost as nice as a 996 911 Carerra, I did a side by side comparo.

I feel a pang of guilt every time I see my wagon sitting there in my driveway. But then I realize that next summer, if I have the cash, I'll just turn that baby into a RWD turbo doriftoooo machine. Or maybe just finally turbo and 5mt swap it.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

freshly added rant... the problem with the Si is every asshat in a car they think is fast hears the semi-fart cannon exhaust, that comes stock mind you, and decides to drive like a dumbass because he thinks you want to race him

like this guy in a last-gen Eclipse, not only did he have HIDs without retrofitted projectors, but he drove stupidly and passed me and another car on an on ramp after sitting behind me at a red light
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan