THE Legacy... 91 Legacy SS Rally Project

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

The Legacy
In Neutral

THE Legacy... 91 Legacy SS Rally Project

Post by The Legacy »

I've been a long time fan of Rallying and Subarus in general. It wasn't until a close friend purchased his STi and I got a WRX a little over a year ago that I realized how much fun playing with cars can be.

After one TSD in his 06 STi and a DNF due to a transmission problem, we decided to look around for an older Subaru we could beat up a bit, and not take a high hit, should the worst happen.

In March I think it was of 08 we purchase a very well maintained 91 Legacy SS from a vendor on our local forum. He had aspirations of making it a rally car, but a family, and lack of parking is what I think brought this beauty to our hands...

Here are pics of the car before we bought it:

Along with the purchase of the car we received two BRAND new fenders and two new Struts for the rear. The car was in VERY good shape for a 17 year old car pushing 300,000 kms. The only mods done to the car was a WRX downpipe and Injen 3" exhaust. This alone was enough to make the car sound mean, and run quite well. Here are a pic of the engine bay as we got it:

and the exhaust:

The interior was in decent shape but most of it would eventually be getting gutted anyway:

So now we had the car in our hot little hands...

The rear struts were ok, but we had a rally coming up and we had the struts so that was the first thing we did:

Then we prepped it with a few decals because we all know DECALS=HP+5... lol

and with that we were off to another TSD rally:

The next big project inspired by 94ss_Canada was a TD04 swap and TMIC from an 06 WRX... as many of you know, one of the issues with installing a TMIC is the coolant reservoir needed to be relocated, some lines ran and a 90* elbow added for the turbo inlet.

So after several days up on jacks on elbows deep in dirt we got the old VF-11 out, the TD04 in and realized we didn't have the oil return line... so off to the dealership I went. A week later we finally got the turbo in, and began working on the 90* elbow and mating up to the charge pipes on the IC... it took a couple of Vibrant elbows, a little patience and what we had was a new(er) turbo (with stock heat shield) and a TMIC in our Legacy:

Relocated coolant reservoir:

Heat Shield and TMIC:

One thing we weren't able to complete initially was the adapter for the BPV to attach to the IC so we just jammed it in there RFT...

it worked... but then a good friend who is now our official welding sponsor made this little beaut:

You can see where we tapped for the Boost gauge in the above pic, and with the boost gauge, also came a TurboSmart MBC:

and here is the current finished engine bay:

Pretty happy with the results. Car is boosting about 10-11psi and seems to run quite strong. There is a small oil leak I think on the oil feed line, so that'll have to be checked this winter when we start working on the car again.

Since these pics we've removed a couple decals and replaced one of the rear brake calipers and done some regular maintenance...

Still in the works are a custom skid plate a light bar and likely a rad shroud. And if we can find these; some shifter bushings, some beefier sways and maybe a strut bar (the old one won't fit over the TMIC and is for sale!!!)

And here's how you might see one of us driving around town with my 05 Legacy wheels on it:

We've got a set of Kumho KW19 in 185/65/15's we use for the gravel/mud/snow events that are not too bad, but we're starting to look at proper gravel rally tires.

Our next rally is Sept 20th and is an over night rally... running loops on rutted gravel oils roads... good times!

If all goes as planned, we'd like to start stripping the car down over the winter to cage it, and who knows what will happen from there!!
Last edited by The Legacy on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If this post is in anyway offensive please go tell your dog... he'll listen.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

I see this car around my house all the time, well, I hear it coming first. That car is real clean. Nice work.

I have a 91 legacy rally project as well, but its been on hold from lack of a garage.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Glad to see you put this where it belonged shane, Wasent getting too much attention on western and now i can post where im not banned!

It looks like there is 3 calgary guys here, so maybe one day we can all meet up and go for a drive or a photoshoot!
The Legacy
In Neutral

Post by The Legacy »

Over this weekend I'll be bringing the car into our 'shop' to get a skid plate made, and hopefully a light bar for some lights...

I've ordered the shifter bushings so If they show up today hopefully I'll be able to get rid of some of the sloppiness in the shifter.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

What kind of shop do you guys have?

If later you want to go a different option with the shifter sloppiness, you should get a setup from a wrx. They can be had for pretty cheap and make an excellent improvement to the old worm out stuff. Also, make sure the returm spring is still hooked up, that itself makes a huge difference.

I found that you live like half a block away from me, weird.
The Legacy
In Neutral

Post by The Legacy »

orly?
Your the one that drives that white XT...
This one?
Small world sometimes...

So the wrx shifter will fit, or do you replace the whole linkage? or just the bushings?

That is one mod I really want done.

Oh, and the shop is a freind's metal fab lab as I call it... He's a vendor on our local subie forum.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Yup, thats the one. She is getting a bit rusty though, Im gonna do something about it before winter.

As for the shifter, you replace the whole linkage, but you also need to order the wrx knuckle. I think I payed $40 for the knuckle at the dealership. The knuckle on our cars has the male splines, and the wrx has the female splines that match the wrx linkage. Totally worth it.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Oh just to mention, I would like to see the skid plate when it is done, I will need one for my rally car.
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

WRX or even better, an STI 5MT shifter, really short throws...
You might have to purchase an additional U-joint, the last one that connects to the transmission, unless you pull the whole linkage from a donor; for some reason they don't come from the dealer with this part.

I have the STI in my '91, the difference is HUGE. Snick, snick, no more rowing the boat...
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
The Legacy
In Neutral

Post by The Legacy »

With the Loop rally this weekend we've got a few things in the works...

we got the lights mounted and wired in and the skid plate is on.

The bushings are here but haven't been installed yet (Friday) and there's a fender well yet to go in, the left front fender was replaced due to ripping the mudflap off exposing a nice rusty hole...

I'll update with some pics but leave these for now:

and one from the rally school I hosted last weekend:
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Here to show my love for the better looking front end :)
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Shane, Those lights are BAD ASS!

Whered you get those from and those mounts I want some!
FastRust
The Legacy
In Neutral

Post by The Legacy »

Seeing as I didn't want to fork out some real $$ for PIAA's or something, I hit up the local Princess Auto... $25 for the lights (ea) they are H3 100w lights... so nice a bright. The bar I had custom made by a friend. I made the wiring harness with some odd's and ends...

whole setup was just over $100...
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

How is it mounted, The fog light setup?

Would your buddy be willing to sell me one, eventually for of course a higher non-friend price
FastRust
The Legacy
In Neutral

Post by The Legacy »

We permanently mounted brackets on the rad supports. They have a little lip with two threaded holes. The bar slides into the grill and bolts up to the bracket, and to the license plate holder on the bottom... it's VERY solid.

If you want one made... they are likely about $100-120 but I can check.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

For shure i want one made, My car isnt perfect so i have no problem doing that to it, Also eventually i want to do what your doing with it, They are meant for it and my car dosent have the nicest body around anyways.
FastRust
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Shane i get payed on the 25th,

If we can arrange something id like to buy that Strut bar from you as well as arrange something as far as the light bar goes.

LMK when it is a good time to call you, parkes
FastRust
The Legacy
In Neutral

Post by The Legacy »

Cool Parkes... I'll talk to him (he's been on holidays) Is your front end the exact same as mine? If so, he'll have the template and could make another fairly easy... if not he'll need to see the car for a couple hours.

Anyway...

With the passing of the Loop Rally this weekend we've got the car up to the par...

You've seen the pics of the light bar, well here's the skid plate:
Many thanks to Mike at Jaba Speed for those!

Here we are ready to go!

During this rally, the odo turned over 300,000kms...

But in the end all that matters is the WIN!!!
First in Novice... Second overall!
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

AWESOME

Great duck tape job!

I believe ours should be same as far as measurments go.

But just to be safe ill get my car going and when i pick up your strut bar maybe we can do some quick look abouts.
FastRust
The Legacy
In Neutral

Post by The Legacy »

Duct tape was to help stop the dust from coming in through the vents... I've got 1/2 pound of dust still in my lungs... lol.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

oh, haha

Also that skid plate looks good to, Whered you get that/made at?
FastRust
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

If its ok, I would like to stop by and check out your setup sometime.

BTW your Imoreza sounds awesome.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Ya his WRX is fucking loud, when i met up with him a few months ago i heard him coming from like a mile away, honestly.
FastRust
The Legacy
In Neutral

Post by The Legacy »

stipro wrote:If its ok, I would like to stop by and check out your setup sometime.

BTW your Imoreza sounds awesome.
Sure, next time I'm up your way (I live in Tuscany, my driver is the one up the street from you) I'll drop you a line.

You should Pm me your number.

Oh, and Parkes, same guy made the plate as the light bar.
The Legacy
In Neutral

Post by The Legacy »

It looks like the Legacy is up for sale:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 641#270641