Which turbo would be ideal ?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Impreza2.2T
In Neutral

Which turbo would be ideal ?

Post by Impreza2.2T »

I have a 2.2 T from a leggy in my impreza. I would like to upgrade my turbo from a Vf-11 into a _______ ? I bought a td04 and intercooler to start. Returned the td04 due to it being broke. Now I have and intercooler sitting around collecting dust. I have been doing research for the past six months I have owned the car. The car is my DD so I dont want more than 13 pounds of boost. And I would like to keep everything as stock as possible. I know I need, injectors but what size / piggy back unit, but what is the exact product / Fuel cut defender, and boost gauge/boost controller/BOV ? I would like to purchase the items myself but should I just have the shop do that? I just dont want to pay too much for a part. Thanks guys :-D
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

My personal preference:

Injectors, if you are planning on running a bigger turbo, the stock ej22t injectors just wont hang. look for some 440cc sidefeeds, those should do you dandy.
TD05-16g from deadbolt or from a jdm suby
Greddy E-manage or PP6 for fueling and ignition
Boost controller, the apexi one is sweet
FCD, TurboXS makes one so does HKS
A basic mech. autometer boost gauge would work. If you want accuracy shoot for something electronic
low-end = Prosport gauges high-end = defi or Omori gauges.
-prosports are good bang for the buck I hear. very competitively priced.
Blow off valve: Up to your own ingenuity. try to find something that will clear your throttle body linkage, like a turboxs RFL or something.

Look for used stuff here or on NASIOC dot com. You should be able to find just about everything cheaper used if you are patient and internet forum savvy.

oh yeah, and if you are mechanically inclined you can install all that crap by yourself and leave the tuning to a good suby shop.

good luck!

ps - do some searches to see what other ppl have done and how it worked for them, that will provide you with more meaningful info.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Impreza2.2T
In Neutral

Thanks

Post by Impreza2.2T »

Wow, 440 injectors ? thats supposed to max out at 220 Hp? Good enough for me :twisted:
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

TD04 will hold 15psi until redline + have quicker spool than just about any other turbo bigger than a VF11.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Imprezive wrote:My personal preference:

Injectors, if you are planning on running a bigger turbo, the stock ej22t injectors just wont hang. look for some 440cc sidefeeds, those should do you dandy.
TD05-16g from deadbolt or from a jdm suby
Greddy E-manage or PP6 for fueling and ignition
Boost controller, the apexi one is sweet
FCD, TurboXS makes one so does HKS
A basic mech. autometer boost gauge would work. If you want accuracy shoot for something electronic
low-end = Prosport gauges high-end = defi or Omori gauges.
-prosports are good bang for the buck I hear. very competitively priced.
Blow off valve: Up to your own ingenuity. try to find something that will clear your throttle body linkage, like a turboxs RFL or something.

Look for used stuff here or on NASIOC dot com. You should be able to find just about everything cheaper used if you are patient and internet forum savvy.

oh yeah, and if you are mechanically inclined you can install all that crap by yourself and leave the tuning to a good suby shop.

good luck!

ps - do some searches to see what other ppl have done and how it worked for them, that will provide you with more meaningful info.
Imprezive you are describing my car! The only difference is that I wouldn't mess around with a blow off value unless you are running a full aftermarket ECU. They make our cars run like crap IMHO. Just reuse stock recirc valve and save yourself some headaches.

But good advice by and large. Rock on!

AW
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Adam gimme your seats!!!

Results from BOV's vary a lot. I run a TurboXS RFL w/ recirc attachment (but it doesnt recirc, I wish it did) and I haven't had any problems with it....

other than that one time on the dyno when the set screws were loose and the blow off valve shot off midway through a pull :D the only thing that kept it from flying off the engine and into something was the vacuum line haha

Oh and one more thing, if you love your engine get an oil pressure gauge. Just do it!
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

Turbo? I'd say any of the following that you can get used; MHI 16/18/20G (w/ TDO5H turbine) or VF22/VF23/VF30/VF34 and even a VF39 though you will not get as much out of it.

Greddy eManage is what I'd do in your shoes, either the blue w/ignition or an Ultimate model. They work really well, especially on OBDI cars.

As far as boost, why are you concerned with capping it to 13psi? That doesn't mean that you're capping power. The difference between 10psi and 20 psi isn't much when it comes to making power. What matters is the ability to flow more air (and gases).
1.) '02 WRX-2482cc-TD06H-20G-FMIC (just sold)
2.) '90 Legacy-2.5 turbo, VF39, Haltech E8 in-hand - waiting for the 5mt swap