Ignition Timing

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

TwinTurbine
In Neutral

Ignition Timing

Post by TwinTurbine »

I have a 92 Legacy SS. I'm running a Ver. 4 STI motor and a M48 Motec ecu. I was wondering if anyone knows what their ignition timing is at around 20 PSI. I have tried trying to get it from my buddies 94 Legacy but we really can't confirm what they have programed the ignition map to be at that piont.
92 Legacy w/ Motec ECU, 5Mt Swap, Version 4 STI Swap, 4:44 F.D. w/LSD, Headers w/ 3" Exhaust, 565cc Side Feed Injectors, 255lph Fuel Pump, Stage 1 Clutch, Hankook R1, Megan Racing, AP Racing, Tommi Mäkinen Racing
Fun to drive!! WOT!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm not sure you're going to easily be able to get that information due to the stock ECU really not being designed for that boost level.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

What turbo? That definitely matters. The denser the charge in the cylinder the faster the flame front propogates.

With my GT2871R 56 trim I was running about 21° at redline (6500). At spool-up, I started at about 14-15°, depending on the inlet air temps at the throttle body.

Are you using the knock sensor? If not, you should be.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
TwinTurbine
In Neutral

Post by TwinTurbine »

I'm running a VF 24 Turbo, with electronic boost control. At full throttle it's set to boost at 20psi between 3200-4500rpm.
92 Legacy w/ Motec ECU, 5Mt Swap, Version 4 STI Swap, 4:44 F.D. w/LSD, Headers w/ 3" Exhaust, 565cc Side Feed Injectors, 255lph Fuel Pump, Stage 1 Clutch, Hankook R1, Megan Racing, AP Racing, Tommi Mäkinen Racing
Fun to drive!! WOT!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

You really shouldn't go off of what other people are running for timing. I've seen exact same setups require vastly different amounts of spark advance. Every motor is different, even with the same exterior mods.

Rent some dyno time and find mean best torque.
→Dan

TwinTurbine
In Neutral

Post by TwinTurbine »

Not that anybody else's timing matters to my engine, however Im doing an experiment and would like to know.

For example my timing compared to my (old) stock 2.2l engine, my STI setup runs wickedly advanced timing.

There's nothing about about my 92 SS Leggy that is remotely stock other that paint and body trim.

So collecting data at this time is something of an experiment.

Really my turbo that I decide to run in this engine is a moot point.
Fun to drive!! WOT!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I see. That tidbit would have been handy ;)

We'll see what happens when I get my setup in another car with the new heads on.
→Dan

TwinTurbine
In Neutral

Post by TwinTurbine »

What can i say but sorry :roll: However, i do like messing around with stuff.
Fun to drive!! WOT!
GeneralTJI
In Neutral

Post by GeneralTJI »

The amount of timing you can run will increase with RPM (duh).. but will start to increase faster and faster as the motor's VE drops off...

It's fun to throw around different numbers even though it really doesn't mean much.. it does give a ballpark idea...

I am actually curious to see what the stock timing looks like on a Turbo Legacy, I have ordered the OBD1 cable to pair up with my evoscan software and take a look.

I was able to make a lot more power on my WRX by playing with the timing, even before I switched it too E85.. now the amounts of timing I run (even with a large turbo) are silly :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.generaltji.com/]-General's Projects -[/url][/b][/color][b][color=red][url=http://tjituning.com/]TJI Tuning-[/url][/color][/b]
TwinTurbine
In Neutral

Post by TwinTurbine »

I'm intrested as well, I don't know what the stock Turbo Legacy's run at their differant loads. But I sure would like somefeed back from you. I'm all Motec now so it easy for me to tune about differant test engines, Including my Ver4 STI in my road car.
Fun to drive!! WOT!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

TwinTurbine wrote:What can i say but sorry :roll: However, i do like messing around with stuff.
Its not a big deal by any means. I was just kinda scratching my head a little bit.

The select monitor tells you what the ignition advance it, right? Someone should log soma data and post it up.
→Dan

GeneralTJI
In Neutral

Post by GeneralTJI »

I bought the cable for our OBD1 cars to talk with my evoscan software so I will be doing some logging....
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.generaltji.com/]-General's Projects -[/url][/b][/color][b][color=red][url=http://tjituning.com/]TJI Tuning-[/url][/color][/b]