Which Y Pipe Should I Get?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Which Y Pipe Should I Get?

Post by kimokalihi »

I just browsed NASIOC and there's hardly any for sale and the only ones for sale are around $100+ for a silicone y pipe.

I'm installing a 02 or 03 TMIC on my 91 SS and a TD04.

I was looking on ebay and they're much cheaper there but obviously not brand name stuff. Looks like it would work fine though but I don't know for sure.

$52 shipped for this setup

$110 shipped for this silicone piping

Or Stock for $30 on NASIOC
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

i would go with the top one cause it has t bolt clamps although the silicone doesnt look to thick
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's probably better flowing than that stock WRX one though right?

I also need a plate to block off the blow off valve hole in the intercooler right? Do I make that myself or is there one premade somewhere?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

first of all I would have to strongly suggest you against the use of an intercooler earlier than 06 because of fitment issues. Secondly, the top on of your selection will work very nice, the middle one might fit but will be more expensive (I don't know how much you wana chop apart a $110 y-pipe), and the bottom one will be the hardest to fit. There are lot's of builds/threads regarding this issue. Please search.

Thanks
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

an 06/07 ic can be had for less than 80 in and around seattle, check nasioc nwic private classifieds
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Is it really that big of a difference between 02-03 to 06-07? Hmmm, in that case I'm sure I can find an 06-07 with a silicone y pipe on it already, would that fit?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm looking on NASIOC and these guys are asking $250-$400 for stock 06-07 TMICs! If that's how much it'll cost I'll deal with the fitment issues of the one that came with the car.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I noticed the 06-07 intercooler is not as wide but longer. Doesn't this require an offset master cylinder or cutting it? I thought I read something like that on here somewhere.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

This guy wants a ridiculous amount of money for his 06 TMIC! Where's all the $80 and less 06-07 TMICs?
STI tmic and 06/07 splitter and shroud. MINT. Also includes brand new gaskets for bpv and y pipe. Y pipe and elbow included. $420 shipped and paypal'd
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I found one! Unfortunately it's sold...$80 you were right.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... light=tmic
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

it's way easier to fit, and it looks like it's actually supposed to be there, don't pay more than 100
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I will caution you about using rigid/cast piping. It's a hell of a lot harder to fit, even if it's meant to fit that specific application.

Some friends replaced a stock plastic piece on the WRX intake with an APS cast piece and I heard it was an unbelievable pain in the rear to fit.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Legacy777 wrote:I will caution you about using rigid/cast piping. It's a hell of a lot harder to fit, even if it's meant to fit that specific application.
+1. You're going to want the all silicone piece in order to make it fit. Even then, it's not going to just slide right on. It won't fit unless you modify the hose. I used a modified stock plastic pipe for a while but it didn't seal right. I replaced it with a silicone one and a few pieces of pipe and some extra hose clamps later it fit.
SUBARUEHS Racing
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Found one with for $80 shipped yay! Now I gotta locate a nice silicone pipe.
flatoutfred
First Gear

Post by flatoutfred »

I've just a purchased and install the first y pipe and it fits great with my td04 and 2007 ic.

About the blocking of the dv hole, I strongly suggest you to buy an adaptor and fit your stock dv. Cancelling the dv will cause issues with the turbo. Making the cool sound is'nt his only fonction.
Legacy turbo, desnorkled, intercooled, TD04, Borla catback, urethane mounts, wrx rear brakes.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh, ok. I wasn't sure if the stock one goes there or not. I thought since it didn't originally have an intercooler I assumed it didn't go there. I have much to learn. What doesn't help is the fact that I bought my car without an engine in it and all the engine pieces are apart and I'm putting in an EJ20 JDM motor so it's all a big confusing mess.

I'm just trying to put the puzzle together.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I found a used Forge Silicone Y Pipe and Throttle Body Pipe for $70 shipped.

Is that a good deal? Only problem is it doesn't come with the recirculation pipe. Do I need that one? The 3 forge pipes including the recirculation pipe are on sale for $111 shipped from a site I found. So it will save me $40 but it doesn't come with the recirc pipe. Which I calculated to be around $40 by itself. Hmmm.

Are the 02-05 WRX pipes different from the 06-07? I can't find any that are made for 06-07 specifically. Some say 02-05 and others say 02-06 but they all look identical. I think someone has made a mistake here.

Here's an OBX for $97 shipped brand new on ebay
GeneralDisorder
First Gear

Post by GeneralDisorder »

Yeah - so what's the deal? I need a y-pipe that fits the '07 IC and has some flexibility so I can adapt it to the fitment of the SS with the TD05.... which should be the same as the TD04 that the OP is asking about.

Anyone have a clue?

GD
91 SS, 94 GT, 84 Wagon, 83 Hatch, 85 Brat.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

The silicone hoses are going to give your more flexibility, and are going to make plumbing the turbo and IC much more easier.

I tried that cast Ebay Y-pipe and it got me nowhere, I'd recommend silicone, save you some headaches.
The only hard part to swallow may be having to cut or mod that $97 hose. :o
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Yes, 02-05 and 06 and up pipes are different. The 06 and up are harder to find. I have seen guys make the 02-05 silicone hose fit the 06 intercooler. You're going to end up cutting it anyways, so it doesn't really matter. $70 is a good deal. Especially if you get the TB hose too. I spent another $20 on that stupid coupler.

Just remember to have some extra parts besides that silicone. An additional coupler and some steel pipe that fit inside the silicone hose was needed for me to do my install.
SUBARUEHS Racing
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I searched ebay for 06 intercooler and came up with this.

PART # MAKE MODEL PIECES
TCS332 06-07 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX 2.5 (EXC. STI) 3

It says it's 3 pieces but only shows 2. Is this what I'm looking for? Definately looks different than the 02-05 pipes.

But it's $137 shipped :(
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

I just finished putting a 06 TMIC and a TD04 on my 91 SS.

What I discovered is that you will have to custom fit everything anyway.

I ended up using the Y portion of the stock 06 plastic pipe, and cut up a silicone STi Y pipe to use the 45* and the 90*, adding a metal 2" pipe in the middle. It all had to be custom fit, but I got it all to line up perfectly in the end.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

what else was there? I am about to do this same swap. I have the td04, a 90 bend for the turbo inlet, tubes to go from the turbo outlet to the y-pipe (that I have fabbed to fit), and an 06 intercooler. I know Ill have to move my AC line and igniter, but what else was there? What is this "f-pipe" people talk about. Oh and I need to separate the cotolan feed/return lines to fit on the td04.
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Where do I get the 90 degree inlet hose/pipe? Is it a hose or a metal pipe? It's gotta be a hose because there's nowhere to bolt a pipe to the TD04, right?
GeneralDisorder
First Gear

Post by GeneralDisorder »

Have a look at my post again:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=37735

Someone with a brain was kind enough to include a proper picture of the way they modified the silicone y-pipe, and the information on which one to use.

He also observed that it is wiser to use the 02-05 silicone y-pipe's and extend them as the bend to the turbo on the 06+ y's is not beneficial.

So the answer is that you need the 02-05 y-pipe (sounds like any brand other than Perrin would be best as the perrin silicone is thicker (5 ply) and is going to be tougher to work with - other brands are 3 ply), and you need to cut and extend it in two places.

GD
91 SS, 94 GT, 84 Wagon, 83 Hatch, 85 Brat.