Looking for a deep mean muffler but not loud

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Looking for a deep mean muffler but not loud

Post by kimokalihi »

Eventually I'm going to probably get a shop to bend me some pipe and I'd like to put a muffler that's nice and deep(not ricey honda sound)but not loud. I don't want a headache every time I drive my car.

91 Turbo sedan 5spd EJ20

What are some options to look at?
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Its impossible to get a ricey sound with these cars, Not only do they have turbos but they have unequal length headers, giving a mean grumble, look for anything magnaflow
FastRust
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Magnaflow isn't gonna be super loud right?
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

i just got a v-force muffler, along with my 05sti turbo back that came with the car. the muffler made it sound amazing, absolutely satisfied couldnt ask for a better sound. its everything i wanted. but i might have to go in and chop the resonator sooner or later lol :D
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
g20sleeperjdm
First Gear

Post by g20sleeperjdm »

i have 3" TBE with no cats into a magnaflow 3" and it does not sound the least bit ricey.. like 94SS_Canada stated, turbo and uneq. length headers will never give away nothing but awesomeness :-D
1992 Legacy SS_5spd
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

stromung!!!!!!
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
g20sleeperjdm
First Gear

Post by g20sleeperjdm »

lucas wrote:stromung!!!!!!
sure, if you wanna pay out the ass for the same sound/performance as a magnaflow :-D
1992 Legacy SS_5spd
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

Several people have stated that their setups sound awesome but the OP stated that he didn't want the exhaust to be too loud. I am in a similar situation. I have one loud car that I use for AutoX (running an APEX'i N1) but my turbo'ed Outback could use a better exhaust from the cat back and I don't want it to be super loud. I'd like it to be very toned down yet muscular. I think this could be what the OP is wanting as well.
Does a catless Magnaflow setup satisfy those demands?
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
g20sleeperjdm
First Gear

Post by g20sleeperjdm »

impreza_GC8 wrote:Several people have stated that their setups sound awesome but the OP stated that he didn't want the exhaust to be too loud. I am in a similar situation. I have one loud car that I use for AutoX (running an APEX'i N1) but my turbo'ed Outback could use a better exhaust from the cat back and I don't want it to be super loud. I'd like it to be very toned down yet muscular. I think this could be what the OP is wanting as well.
Does a catless Magnaflow setup satisfy those demands?
turbo back? no.. i'm running a 3" catless tbe with a magnaflow straight-thru muffler and it's not to loud in the car, but i've been told outside that it's pretty loud :smt077
1992 Legacy SS_5spd
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you don't want it loud, add a resonator that will help a lot, regardless of what muffler you use.....and is almost necessary if you want the sound attenuation, yet don't want a lot of back pressure.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Im just going to get an ebay magnaflow to Canada for like 100$, done deal!
FastRust
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Borla Hush.
A1Fiddler
First Gear

Post by A1Fiddler »

$20 Cherry Bomb!

Just kidding. I like mine but it's really loud. Not obnoxious though, just has a real deep rumble.
'92 Legacy Sport Sedan - EJ22T, 4EAT, AWD - Snorkle Delete, Custom Grounding, 3" Catless TBE.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

ciper wrote:Borla Hush.
+1

My friend has that on his 98 RS-T. I can still hear him outside my house when he comes over or leaves, but it's not NEARLY as loud as mine is when I start up.

Although, once he starts to romp on it, you can hear that boxer engine winding up. 8)
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What's a resonator? I'm new to exhaust systems. Never had one on my car before. My main hobby is car audio so I have never been a fan of loud exhausts but I still want my car to sound mean this time.

I just searched google for borla hush and came up with fastwrx.com and they want $650 for a cat back system. I was thinking of just having an exhaust shop bend me a 3" exhaust so I don't need the cat back system right? Where can I get the muffler by itself?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

A resonator is simply a larger hollow section of pipe that helps cancel out some of the exhaust noise.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I see. Are they expensive?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

typically no.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

_Aramchek_
First Gear

Post by _Aramchek_ »

A1Fiddler wrote:$20 Cherry Bomb!

Just kidding. I like mine but it's really loud. Not obnoxious though, just has a real deep rumble.
Mine has a cherry bomb on it too,and sounds like a fooking race car when you're nailing on the gas,unfortunately it also is loud enough to attract the attention of the fresh-new-and eager to prove himself young town cop. He follows me all over town any time he see's me.
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

_Aramchek_ wrote:
A1Fiddler wrote:$20 Cherry Bomb!

Mine has a cherry bomb on it too,and sounds like a fooking race car when you're nailing on the gas,unfortunately it also is loud enough to attract the attention of the fresh-new-and eager to prove himself young town cop. He follows me all over town any time he see's me.
Not trying to be mean, but I doubt it sounds like a race car. ;) Maybe if you cut all the exhaust off and ran barely any exhaust, but it still sounds like a 4cyl ; Annoying Loud.

I plan on putting a Thrush or Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler on mine. They're not as restrictive as any stock setup, and they're not loud. I had one on my civic 4 yrs ago, and then used it on my ranger. It was rusted too much to cut it off and use it on the subie, so I gotta go buy another one :)
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I put one of those Cherry Bomb Turbo mufflers on my 89 toyota pickup 4cyl one time and it sounded like a dirt bike. Not a good sound. I got laughed at by my friends.

Definately not putting one of those things on anything again.
_Aramchek_
First Gear

Post by _Aramchek_ »

Buffman wrote:
Not trying to be mean, but I doubt it sounds like a race car. ;) Maybe if you cut all the exhaust off and ran barely any exhaust, but it still sounds like a 4cyl ; Annoying Loud.
It has a pretty nice rumble to it,it's not "annoying" . I don't have any super great recordings of it. But here's a sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lnIA-7pfEo
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

After going back an fourth with emails to borla they told me I want the Borla Pro XS muffler part number 40359 which is about $160 on their website. Well that's what they told me yet the part number comes up with no results on their site and I can't find the muffler they're talking about on their site.

I did, however, find it on ebay. For $109.99 shipped!

I don't know how that would look but I don't think it would look very nice from behind. I was hoping to get a muffler with a nice twin tip on it to fill that gap in the bottom of the bumper. Can I just buy a twin tip for this muffler?
GeneralDisorder
First Gear

Post by GeneralDisorder »

That would definitely be a huge pain in the teakettle to fit. Go with a 3" straight-through muffler with a removable silencer.

ebay link

You may laugh if you like, but I have one of these that's been custom fitted to the SS. It's stainless, it sounds great (exactly what you are asking for with the silencer in place, meaner with it out), it's a full 3" turbo-back, and there's no cats (one reason it's cheap).

The flow past the turbo doesn't matter - just get rid of the exhaust gas as quickly as possible.

I have access to a TIG welder though and the ability to custom fit the whole thing. Really I just had to move some brackets and add about a 14" section of tubing to get it out to the bumper. Was about 4 or 5 hours of custom fitting and welding. But it's in and fits like it was built for the car.

You are definitely looking at a lot more than $300 if you can't fit the thing yourself. Probably a few bills anyway to have it done right by a *good* exhaust shop using stainless MIG or TIG.

Personally I just couldn't see spending $750 or more on a "nice" turbo back that I would then have to cut and paste anyway. The objective for me was low cost and high flow. Stainless and great sound were just side benefits that happened despite my requirements.

GD
91 SS, 94 GT, 84 Wagon, 83 Hatch, 85 Brat.
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

stromung!!!
1993 legacy ss "Shela"