VF 39 support mods

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Tommio RS
Second Gear

VF 39 support mods

Post by Tommio RS »

Ok. Im probably going to swap out my dieing VF11 for a nice VF39 in the next few months and im wondering....What mods must i get to support such a large turbo over stock?

I know that ill need:

Bigger injectors "some sti style"??
Better fuel pump "dont know what type"
Fuel Management unit "dont know what it does, i think i just need it!"
Fuel cut defeater "to get over stock fuel cut"
Manuel boost controller "boost must go up with a new turbo...right"

Ok i kinda know what I all need but, i dont know of what brands and types you guys have used and have worked. I want the swap to go as easy as possiable. If it means getting some crazy hard to find part, Ill do it! I just need to know what parts will get a VF39 in a leggy turbo and make it run minty, perfect, and with NO screw ups at all!! Must run like PERFECT. No misfires, no leaks, no detination, no EVIL!

Thanks!
93 Legacy Turbo AT Sliver Stock, Ultra Rotty Body
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
95 Chevy Corvette MT ZR-1 Black X Brace Chipped
94 Legacy Turbo AT Blue Stock SOLD
06 Pontiac G6 AT Green Stock SOLD
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

You will need serious intercooling also. Otherwise you will be blowing hot air.

I am only running about 16 lbs on my super 16G because I am beyond the efficiency rating of the 06 WRX top mount.

Try this:
Front mount
Walbro fuel pump
at least the 565 injectors
EM= read up and make the decision on your own.
Same thing with the FCD unit
I would suggest an electric boost controller versus a manual one: I am having to switch due to boost spikes. I am going with an Eboost 2 unit
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Ok all good info. But 565 injectors are out of what year of sti?

EM=??? fuel managemet??
Everthing is clear

Anyone else have any input??
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
GeneralDisorder
First Gear

Post by GeneralDisorder »

There's a lot more to it than that. You can't just throw a bunch of parts together "easily" and make it run like you are asking.

First the VF39 is nearly a wasted effort without swapping out the heads and intake. I'll just say that to get it out of the way. It's too much turbo for the stock heads. A smaller, quicker spooling turbo will net you basically the same max gains with stock heads, cost less, and respond better.

The stock MAF sensor runs out of reporting range at around 1 bar. You will have to swap it or modify it and that will require either translation for the stock ECU, or stand-alone engine management.

Similar situation exists with the injectors. The stock ECU won't understand larger injectors and will run rich. Adjustment must be made using either a translator (piggyback) or a stand-alone.

Making the engine run "perfect" will end up requiring a lot of time, research, and expensive engine management and tuning sessions. You can't just plug and play with this stuff. It's designed to be somewhat generic and must be tuned to your specific engine demand.

You won't get away without spending a lot of time, money, and research effort with something like that. It's not going to be a quick weekend job either. Count on having something else to drive.... most of the time.

GD
91 SS, 94 GT, 84 Wagon, 83 Hatch, 85 Brat.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

You can still use a VF39 on stock heads and see decent gains, if you can control it. My 49 lb/min garrett spools smoothly from 2500 rpm to 23 psi at about 4k, and does fairly well with delta cams to make over 300whp and significantly more torque. You just need quite of boost from a capable turbo to make these things buck nicely with stock heads. This thing reasonably happy at a pressure ratio of 2.9, but I but I don't know what a VF39 would be happy at.

Like GD said, controlling it all reliably is the fun part. Management isn't necessarily an easy thing to apply to these cars. It all depends on what you are willing to do and spend on making it work to its potential. I've got many years into making my car a reliable, highly modified daily driver.

That said, I think there are some simple (in my opinion) sollutions that can help you controlling a setup. No one here, other than a friend of mine, has tried this http://www.maftpro.com/tproinfo.shtml

If worked quite well for a friend of mine running a larger turbo than me. The guy who writes the firmware has a version to work with the SS. No more maf sensor, and very nice boost control. You DO have to have a wideband for it to work. Anyone who modifies a turbo car should have a wideband anyways.

Again, it all comes down to how comfortable you are with doing these kinds of modifications.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Looks like the VF39 will flow the most air about about a PR of 2.5. It seems to be a bit conservative on the airflow rating at 32 lb/min compared to what friends of mine do with a VF39.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-forced ... ers-3.html
→Dan

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Thanks very very much 93forestpearl! So now im not seeing everthing soo clear now... I need to get a 2.5 pressure ratio? How would one get a happy 2.5 PR? And not to mention i dont know what the PR means...Pressure ratio?

But ya! Good there is still hope for the VF39! This MAF Translator Pro its seems to be interesting, what does it do for my car tho? How many other parts would i still need to get if i get a MAF Translator PRO? I know what it does i just dont know HOW to meld everthing to work!

And ya 93forestpearl what mods is you car outfitted with?? That would definitly help me out in the road to getting a VF39 on my car!

Thanks!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I didn't say you have to get to a pressure ratio of 2.5 with a VF39, just that it will be happy in that region, which is about 22-23psi before any losses.

If you don't know what that means, you have some serious reading to do. Start here and read all three sections http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... ch101.html

But ya! Good there is still hope for the VF39! This MAF Translator Pro its seems to be interesting, what does it do for my car tho? How many other parts would i still need to get if i get a MAF Translator PRO? I know what it does i just dont know HOW to meld everthing to work!
A friend of mine is using it, not me. I wired in a standalone. If you don't know what it does for you, I'm not sure how I can even help you.

And ya 93forestpearl what mods is you car outfitted with?? That would definitly help me out in the road to getting a VF39 on my car!

I'm not going to get into it here, but I'll just say that EVERYTHING has either been looked at or modified. I could buy a new WRX with what I have into it. :wink:
→Dan

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Ok! thats all good info. Now 93forestpearl is your buddy that runs this MAF Translator Pro on the forums here?

Does anyone have or has used a MAF Translator Pro before? Anyone??
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

GeneralDisorder wrote:
Making the engine run "perfect" will end up requiring a lot of time, research, and expensive engine management and tuning sessions. You can't just plug and play with this stuff. It's designed to be somewhat generic and must be tuned to your specific engine demand.

You won't get away without spending a lot of time, money, and research effort with something like that. It's not going to be a quick weekend job either. Count on having something else to drive.... most of the time.

GD
Quoted for truth. I am unhappy with my vf39 setup a lot of the time. Mostly because of a handfull of little issues. The piggy back I have SUCKS (HKS super AFR) and it's hard to control the motor to my liking. A better engine management solution is the way to go.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The only way to make one run perfect with no issues or hiccups is with either a standalone and lots of tuning time, or a harness conversion with a newer ECU and matching acilaries.
→Dan

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Could this little chip help me out when the right ver. is relesed??

http://www.revtronix.com/products/bclegacy1.php