How To: Remove Trunk Carpet

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

n2x4
Fourth Gear

How To: Remove Trunk Carpet

Post by n2x4 »

I was asked how to get the carpet out for the power antenna so I thought I'd share with everyone. Takes about 2 minutes to do and no tools are required (though a small flat blade screwdriver is useful).

First, remove the plastic plug as shown in the picture:

Next, remove another plug:

These plugs are very easy to get out. They're two pieces, one piece is inserted into the hole in the carpet, and the second piece plugs the hole. They can slide out if you just pull with your fingers. If you can't get it out, just slip a screwdriver under it

Almost done, the carpet should be mostly loose at this point. It's molded plastic so you'll have to tug on it a bit. There's one more plug that needs to be removed:

Tada! Carpet is free and you should be able to access the antenna. I've circled the general location of where it is. Remove the jack and the bracket and you're set!

There really isn't much to removing it. The trunk has a "lip" that comes down to help hold the carpet in just bend the carpet and pull.
SUBARUEHS Racing
MacNews
First Gear

Post by MacNews »

Yes, I am the n00b that couldn't figure out how to remove the trunk carpeting. :P

Thanks a ton n2x4! You are right, it really is that simple lol.

Here is a pic of the new antenna:

ImageImage

Thanks again n2x4! :smt038
1992 Legacy SS -stock
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Always glad to help. What kind of antenna did you use to replace it with? Got a part number?

I did the same thing with an antenna from a Chevy Cavalier and I'm not impressed with the seal it came with.
SUBARUEHS Racing
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

MacNews wrote:ImageImage
That's the antenna that was on my car when I bought it! It broke off while I was driving. :shock:
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
MacNews
First Gear

Post by MacNews »

It has a little screw that can tighten or loosen it. But it was only $15 so no worries if it breaks lol.
1992 Legacy SS -stock
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Anyone have a decent picture of the stock motor and antenna in or out of the car?

Previous owner removed mine and I've always wondered what they look like and if I should find one and install. I have inexpensive replacement mast now but would like the option to have it retracted...

Thanks in advance,
~AW
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Look something like this???

http://www.antennax.com/images/HARADA1a.jpg

Anyone tried this replacement kit?

http://www.antennax.com/Products/Description_ax05.htm
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
MacNews
First Gear

Post by MacNews »

Here is a photo of the power antenna I took out:

ImageImage
1992 Legacy SS -stock