standard pistons

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Skruyd
Second Gear

standard pistons

Post by Skruyd »

I was wondering if there is any standard size forged pistons out there for an ej22t or are they all 20 or 40 over. Went to take the block to have it cleaned and honed. starting to take the piston rings off the pistons and the piston four ring landings just fell off. Oh well, at least it didn't trash the block. Appreciate the help XD
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

It's unsafe to take a used block and put drop in pistons in it. Just go have it bored and honed 20 over.
Kickin' it old-school.
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

I don't get how it is unsafe? If everything is measured out right then it all should work. My motor had around 240000 miles on it and had the factory cross hatch still in the cylinders. But I did find standard size pistons. I just had to call for them. But if you can explain why it's unsafe I may just get the 20 over then
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The main thing is break-in. Without a fresh honing, the pistons don't break in as well or the way they should. Or at least that's what I've been told.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

It may not be unsafe to you, but for the motor it could be a catastrophie. Like josh said, the main thing is break-in. More specifically, seating the rings. After heat cycles, pressure, and motion, cylinders warp. They go out of round, taper changes, and although the factory cross-hatching is still there(a phenomenon I have witnessed as well) The cylinder surfaces are far from pristine under a microscope. If you are going to all the trouble to build a new motor, you might as well just make sure it's all gonna be tits and get the thing bored and honed.
Kickin' it old-school.
jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

he said he was going to have it honed in the original post.

IF (big if) the bores are true and the measurements are all good, I don't see any reason to overbore the motor unless you "want" to. Period. Note that is a big IF, and I am in the same boat with a 190k EJ22 on the bench right now.

Main thing is to make sure the pistons are sized correctly for whatever bore measurements you have, or get the bores sized for the pistons if you have to. A good hone and new rings and then it should be fine.

Obviously just getting a 20 over bore job, plus hone, and tossing those pistons in is great, but boring is $$ and only "needs" to be done when it "needs" to be done.
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Heres the best route. Phase I 2.5 crank and rods, .40 over bore, wiseco pistons for the stroker = 2.4l closed deck motor.
Kickin' it old-school.
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

Well damn. I thought I was going to be able to get some standard size pistons and unfortunately I am not. Wiseco just stop making them and now it's either the .020 or .040 over. But yea, boring I think it was $40 a cylinder at the shop I have it at but, even tho it will be cheaper to do that and get the wiseco pistons rather than all new subaru pistons and piston rings. Anyways I thought I had to get work done one the Phase I 2.5 crank to fit in the block or was that a different crank? Just in case I decide to go that route but doubt it.
jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

there are std size pistons on fleabay...
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Skruyd wrote:Well damn. I thought I was going to be able to get some standard size pistons and unfortunately I am not. Wiseco just stop making them and now it's either the .020 or .040 over. But yea, boring I think it was $40 a cylinder at the shop I have it at but, even tho it will be cheaper to do that and get the wiseco pistons rather than all new subaru pistons and piston rings. Anyways I thought I had to get work done one the Phase I 2.5 crank to fit in the block or was that a different crank? Just in case I decide to go that route but doubt it.
Is this just about getting replacement pistons? Put up a WTB thread in our classifieds. Hell, I bet Douglas Vincent has a dozen EJ22T stock pistons sitting around. There are many other members here who have torn apart stock blocks and just tossed the stock pistons in the corner. You don't need to go to the dealer and buy new. You shouldn't have to pay more than $25-40 a pistons to get some stockers.

There is NO need for forged pistons in your engine unless you are going for monster power. And by monster power I'm talking up over 350whp. And if you are doing that, you need rods while you are in there. Also, if you are playing in this realm of power I hate to see you balking over $40 a hole for honing. In that power realm, you better have a couple grand in spare change in the piggy bank for when you pop motor number 1. We never wish it on anyone but most of us pop a motor at some point in our hot rod life.

Lastly, if you are changing the heads on your block, you will want to look at compression ratio. That brings up another very viable and cheap stock option; Ej22E pistons from the NA engines. With something like EJ20G or Ej25D heads, in an Ej22T block, with stock thickness head gaskets, those pistons put you right around 8.5+/-:1 That's really boost friendly. The stock Ej22T pistons put you way down in the low 7's with the upgraded heads. If you want to preserve some of your midrange power (and low end torque) the NA pistons are a really good solution. Again, you can put up a WTB and someone like Black Bart or Jake or Doug will pop in and sell you some takeouts pretty quickly.
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

EJ22E std pistons, well whatever std means to them at least they post a diameter. Subaru uses letter sizes (my 93 engine has B pistons)

jugs and rings for $125, cheap if they are good parts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0272821598
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

First of all I will like to say thanks to everybody that is helping out.
Matt Monson wrote:
Is this just about getting replacement pistons? Put up a WTB thread in our classifieds. Hell, I bet Douglas Vincent has a dozen EJ22T stock pistons sitting around. There are many other members here who have torn apart stock blocks and just tossed the stock pistons in the corner. You don't need to go to the dealer and buy new. You shouldn't have to pay more than $25-40 a pistons to get some stockers.

There is NO need for forged pistons in your engine unless you are going for monster power. And by monster power I'm talking up over 350whp. And if you are doing that, you need rods while you are in there. Also, if you are playing in this realm of power I hate to see you balking over $40 a hole for honing. In that power realm, you better have a couple grand in spare change in the piggy bank for when you pop motor number 1. We never wish it on anyone but most of us pop a motor at some point in our hot rod life.

Lastly, if you are changing the heads on your block, you will want to look at compression ratio. That brings up another very viable and cheap stock option; Ej22E pistons from the NA engines. With something like EJ20G or Ej25D heads, in an Ej22T block, with stock thickness head gaskets, those pistons put you right around 8.5+/-:1 That's really boost friendly. The stock Ej22T pistons put you way down in the low 7's with the upgraded heads. If you want to preserve some of your midrange power (and low end torque) the NA pistons are a really good solution. Again, you can put up a WTB and someone like Black Bart or Jake or Doug will pop in and sell you some takeouts pretty quickly.
Basically it was first about just getting replacements but when I saw that it was going to cost over $600 for 4 new pistons and a ring set from Subaru I was just going to get the boring and the pistons .020 oversized. But now that I got laid off :( . I guess I'm going to have to just post up in the classified. The only reason why I was going with all new pistons is because this happened when I was taking the rings off.Image
Other than that the whole power trip is going to have to happen later because I just need to get this car going till I find out where I moving :-)
jp233 wrote:
EJ22E std pistons, well whatever std means to them at least they post a diameter. Subaru uses letter sizes (my 93 engine has B pistons)

I think those are for a NA block considering the CR is 9.5:1. Those will be nice for the low end but untill I get an EMS I wouldn't want to mess with them.
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

ouch broken ringland FTL. Sorry man, I dont have any stock pistons in good shape, but I know someone here does, like Matt said.
Kickin' it old-school.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I have a ton laying around
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

jp233 wrote:
Jugs? You're an old air cooled guy aren't you? Just for the record, jugs are the cylinders on an air cooled engine, not the pistons. :wink:
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

whoops, not jugs. no not air cooled, just a 2 stroke guy.

i'm used to changing pistons in some of my applications, every 300 miles :shock:
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project