My Suspension Overhaul

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

t3h L3g4cy
In Neutral

My Suspension Overhaul

Post by t3h L3g4cy »

Hey all! I've been planning to do a suspension overhaul for quite some time now. I've got even more reason to get this done soon. My dad bought my '91 N/A AWD Legacy L for me at 168,000 miles and it's got about 208,000 miles now. That's almost 50,000 miles i've put onto it and it should be replaced every 50,000 miles. I'm willing to bet that the struts have seen more than 50,000 miles because when I hit a dip, the front end nose dives while the suspension components groan under the stress and the rear has a higher pitched groan when i'm turning. I've recently changed both front spindles. I changed the front right because it needed a new wheel bearing. It was cheaper to get a used spindle from a '95 legacy than to replace the wheel bearing haha. So i replaced the left front spindle later. After i replaced the left front spindle an annoying rhythmic noise/vibration disappeared when i took turns at any speed. But no matter how many times i try, the alignment is off and I think it's linked to the suspension wearing out. For these reasons i think it's an extremely good idea for an overhaul...only problem is how should i go about it.

Since my car is a daily driver, i don't want anything too stiff but i'm also looking for a sporty ride. Handling HAS to be sharp! Absolutely NO slack in steering response and NO nose to the air! So far i've found agx adjustable struts but i'm not sure about wat springs to use. For simplicity sake i'll just get '95 legacy agx struts all around with front and rear spring perches. I've heard good things about whiteline, H&R, and let's not forget STi pink springs however wat spring and strut combination would u guys recommend that gives a lower but level stance? Are there any other brand of springs you guys would recommend? I'm fairly certain that i'm sticking to agx struts. Also this is an overhaul so wat else would i need to replace and with wat brand? I know of swaybar endlinks, bushings, maybe camber bolts. I know there's more to it than what i have listed so help me fill the blanks :)

Many thanks
John
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

John,

You should read the 5 threads listed in the suspension sticky:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=35322

Particularly the swaybar and spring ones.
SUBARUEHS Racing
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I would suggest just using 04-07 sti struts and springs. They're made for each other. I think they lower the car about an inch and are stiffer than your stock suspension ever was.

At first I got KYB GR2 struts brand new and 05 sti springs and the front fit good but then the rear springs were so much shorter than the struts that when it was installed with the car still up on jack stands the spring was loose enough to travel about an inch up and down with your hand! I didn't feel comfortable enough about that so I sold the struts and bought a set of STI struts and springs.

I haven't got my motor in so I can't tell you how they handle but the rear looks like it's the perfect height and the front is pretty high since the motor is out.

Definately study that suspension sticky page. Very closely because since there was almost no suspension made for this car you have to use suspension made for other cars or years and none of it is a direct swap. You need either front spring perches or rear top hats depending on which model and year.

Good luck.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

kimokalihi wrote:I would suggest just using 04-07 sti struts and springs. They're made for each other. I think they lower the car about an inch and are stiffer than your stock suspension ever was.
I've got some STi springs here, and was thinking about getting struts and doing exactly what you did.

I also have a 91 SS. I'd love to know exactly what you had to do to fit those on your car. Could you share the specs of:

Front perches:
Front tophats:
Rear perches:
Rear tophats:
Any fitment modifications:
Any other additions to get correct alignment:

Thanks!
Scotty
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

With 04-07 STI struts and springs on a 91 SS all you have to do is reuse your rear top hats because I think the bolt pattern is different. You'll also need STI front upper spring perches. Other than that it bolts right in.

I'm not sure what specs you're looking for?

I don't know about alignment because I'm still trying to get my motor put together. Until then I can't drive the car to the alignment shop.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Perfect, that's all I needed! Alignment issues can be addressed one way or the other!

Thanks a lot!
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
t3h L3g4cy
In Neutral

Post by t3h L3g4cy »

Ok i'm having difficulty finding 04-07 STi struts and springs. I'm looking in the kyb online catalog, google and ebay and not getting any results. So I've looked and i've found AGX adjustable struts for 02-03 impreza's. Coupled with H&R springs it should look like this

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=37791

Specifically the springs will be for 90-91 legacy's so i'm wondering if they are even compatible.

damnit i thought i had it all figured out and now i'm more confused than i started out...
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Did you look on NASIOC for used sti struts and springs? That's where they're all going to be and I see them on there all the time since they're all ditching them for lowering springs or coilovers.

Be careful though, those guys ask a lot for their suspensions. I see them all the time for $400. I paid $250 shipped for mine.
t3h L3g4cy
In Neutral

Post by t3h L3g4cy »

Sorry i haven't responded up until now but I've been swamped with final projects and final exams -_- :(

I did look on NASIOC for struts and springs but I haven't been able to focus my attention on the suspension. I'll look at it more closely and have a more informed decision after finals are over.

Thanks for the tip on NASIOC.
John
t3h L3g4cy
In Neutral

Post by t3h L3g4cy »

It seems wat i'm asking for is a lot because there's just a plethora of information and it's taken me a long time to comprehend wat i'm reading. I guess this was a huge project and i just got so excited that I didn't quite think it through. So for now i'll just get some AGX struts and some springs. Either H&R, Whiteline, Tein or some other brand that i happen to find that's relatively cheap while lowering the car ~1.5 inches in the front and ~1 inch in the back, then work my way into the rest of the suspension such as swaybars, endlinks, etc.

Thanks to u all i feel like i'm getting somewhere with my project.

Hope u all have had a brilliant Christmas and have a great new year. :-D

John