SF5 Forester control arm mounts = Factory ALK?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

n2x4
Fourth Gear

SF5 Forester control arm mounts = Factory ALK?

Post by n2x4 »

Hey guys,

I was reading up on lowering my Forester and take a look at the stock Forester rear control arm bushing/mount:

Looks an awful lot like the expensive whiteline pieces, and after doing some reading it looks as though they are the same, but with stiffer bushings installed. Thought that was interesting!
SUBARUEHS Racing
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

That is there for the taller ride height of the Forester and Outback. I've noticed those before and though how I could have saved myself $170 by using those with stiffer bushings instead of the whiteline kit.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Yep, I was reading about the three different lift pieces the forester suspension used. They actually suggested that those mounts be removed for Impreza ones if lowering the Forester, not knowing that they had the advantage of anti lift if they kept them!

I actually posted a wanted thread on the forester forums to try and get some spare ones. I have some poly bushings that would work great.
SUBARUEHS Racing
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

sort of, but not really.

The forester mounting point and the whiteline mounting point are both lower.

The forester bushing is meant for a forester, which also has subframe spacers. Because of that, the angle to the front bushing is different between the two. On the whiteline the bushing is angled upward to line up with the front mounting point.

The actual downward spacing on the two is also probably different. Whiteline put the stock geometry into some fancy program to determine what to change in order to do what they want to the geometry. That is, remove all of the anti-lift/dive from the front suspension.

The whiteline alk also moves the mounting point outward. That adds a bit of static caster. The stiffer urethane bushing reduces flex, which adds dynamic caster. Plus, it's a stiffer bushing, so the control arm moves quite a bit less and there's better feel in all conditions, especially braking.

I'd higly recommend a whiteline sport alk, which takes all sorts of things into consideration that the forester part and imitations do not. I really like mine.
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... hlight=alk

You get the anti lift effect, without the caster and stiffer bushing. Though considering the age difference, it would probably be stiffer than what's currently on the car.
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

I had this same question when i removed my lift kit on my 97 outback. I took out all the 30mm subframe spacers and left the rear TCA caster blocks in. It handled like complete garbage and i promptly took them off. The outback blocks are 30mm lower vs the whiteline 20mm. And Jamal is correct with the whitelines also moved outwards to increase your static caster, outbacks are not.
Personally having tried this i would suggest against using outback caster blocks without the subframe spacers (lift kit pieces). It also put a lot of un-needed pre-load on the front TCA mount bushing. So much where you cant get the front bolt in without the rear unbolted.
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

+1 for the Whiteline product if you can afford it. You do get what you pay for...
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's